Author Topic: Former Nats Stinking it up  (Read 551 times)

Offline welch

• 2019: Won the fight
Re: Former Nats Stinking it up
« Reply #25: May 27, 2021, 06:49:04 PM »
Taylor hitting .245 on the year, close to his career .238. Five home runs, 16 RBIs, 5 stolen bases, .679 OPS. Not so bad.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #26: May 29, 2021, 09:15:09 PM »
Giolito on MASN tomorrow.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #27: May 30, 2021, 05:10:07 PM »
Giolito on MASN tomorrow.
7IP 3H 1ER 12K 3BB

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #28: May 30, 2021, 08:35:57 PM »
<rant>

This is one for the stats nerds, but also one for the reality nerds:

Adam Eaton sucks.  Like, objectively, he sucks.  He's not a good hitter and he's a crap defender at a corner OF spot.  But Baseball Reference suddenly rates him as a very good RF when he goes back to Chicago, the same park where they rated him a very good RF after rating him mediocre in Arizona (in CF, alas) and awful in DC. So, who's wrong: Baseball Reference, or your eyes, who tell you that a craphead outfielder who can't hit .200 and sucks in the field is not worth half a win above replacement?

</rant>

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #29: May 30, 2021, 09:15:15 PM »
<rant>

Adam Eaton sucks.  Like, objectively, he sucks.  He's not a good hitter and he's a crap defender at a corner OF spot.  But Baseball Reference suddenly rates him as a very good RF when he goes back to Chicago, the same park where they rated him a very good RF after rating him mediocre in Arizona (in CF, alas) and awful in DC. So, who's wrong: Baseball Reference, or your eyes, who tell you that a craphead outfielder who can't hit .200 and sucks in the field is not worth half a win above replacement?

</rant>

Defensive stats are mostly voodoo.  They have some guys who never played baseball sitting in rooms watching tapes and making judgments about who could have gotten to a ball. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #30: May 31, 2021, 09:18:32 AM »
<rant>

</rant>
I'll be curious if there are parks that simply are easier to field in.  Not just quirky layouts, but wind directions, lighting and background, etc...  Does a brick wall and ivy cause outfield to back off near the Wrigley wall?  I used to think some outfielders played the scoreboard area of Nats Park a little cautiously because of the weird bright lighting in their peripheral vision and I think some chain fencing in front of it.  I wonder if new Comiskey or whatever they call it (US Cellular? Something else now?) is particularly easy for some reason. IT might not be something Statcast can pick up when it does probabilities of catches based on how a ball is hit and where the OF is positioned.  OTOH, if it is an easier read, it might be recording better jumps by Eaton.

Offline blue911

« Reply #31: May 31, 2021, 09:25:55 AM »
I'll be curious if there are parks that simply are easier to field in.  Not just quirky layouts, but wind directions, lighting and background, etc...  Does a brick wall and ivy cause outfield to back off near the Wrigley wall?  I used to think some outfielders played the scoreboard area of Nats Park a little cautiously because of the weird bright lighting in their peripheral vision and I think some chain fencing in front of it.  I wonder if new Comiskey or whatever they call it (US Cellular? Something else now?) is particularly easy for some reason. IT might not be something Statcast can pick up when it does probabilities of catches based on how a ball is hit and where the OF is positioned.  OTOH, if it is an easier read, it might be recording better jumps by Eaton.

Statcast rates his jump worse than last season.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #32: May 31, 2021, 09:34:03 AM »
Statcast rates his jump worse than last season.
so is statcast picking up an improvement, other than his jumps? or is it an artifact of whatever system B-R uses?

Offline blue911

« Reply #33: May 31, 2021, 09:56:43 AM »
so is statcast picking up an improvement, other than his jumps? or is it an artifact of whatever system B-R uses?

I can’t find any reason why his defense would be of greater value to the White Sox.