Author Topic: Tony LaRussa defends "the unwritten rules" against his player  (Read 628 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
White Sox fans are furious that Tony LaRussa apologized to the Twins because a player hit a home run off of a Twins position player staggering toward the end of a blowout.  LaRussa said nothing when the Twins threw at the player the next day.

Here, CC Sabathia reviews baseball's unwritten rules.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/05/cc-sabathia-crushed-tony-la-russa-in-a-passionate-expletive-ridden-rant?utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0jrQW8nWewBFJE0OWU6DaVeGHvm807eGqIGctE4mHolgqMThFHcwBgcaE

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
He was a terrible hire...

Offline Natsinpwc

Old drunk’s usually are.

Offline Count Walewski

Very embarrassing situation. Nobody in the organization except the owner wanted to hire Tony LaRussa. Tony LaRussa has, among other things, failed to challenge a play because he didn't know he had only 20 seconds to do it, put his closer on 2nd base in extra innings because he did not know he could have used his first baseman instead, and now this.

Online rileyn

2nd best record in the majors.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
White Sox fans are furious that Tony LaRussa apologized to the Twins because a player hit a home run off of a Twins position player staggering toward the end of a blowout.  LaRussa said nothing when the Twins threw at the player the next day.

Here, CC Sabathia reviews baseball's unwritten rules.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/05/cc-sabathia-crushed-tony-la-russa-in-a-passionate-expletive-ridden-rant?utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0jrQW8nWewBFJE0OWU6DaVeGHvm807eGqIGctE4mHolgqMThFHcwBgcaE

The homer was on a 3-0 pitch with the score being 14-4 at the time. Still, who cares. The unwritten rules are dumb.

Offline Five Banners

The homer was on a 3-0 pitch with the score being 14-4 at the time. Still, who cares.

And if they really don’t want the score to go up, they can always forfeit. It seems like a move that would work fine with the commisar and his seven-inning time savers. That’s even more so when throwing position players out there to pitch regularly is regarded as legitimate rather than a game-cheapening embarrassment. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Old drunk’s usually are.
Good thing I'm not looking for a new job.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

I’m sure it’s all LaRussa and not the fact that the team is loaded with talent.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

So had the 2014 Nationals, with Standard Decision at the helm.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
And if they really don’t want the score to go up, they can always forfeit. It seems like a move that would work fine with the commisar and his seven-inning time savers. That’s even more so when throwing position players out there to pitch regularly is regarded as legitimate rather than a game-cheapening embarrassment. 

The Twins could just as easily have pitched their equivalent of Espino or McGowin or Rainey. Pitching an outfielder is a violation of the "unwritten rules". It makes a mockery of the game. For comparison, I checked the 1957 Washington Senators, whi won 55 games and finished last in the AL. Managed by Chuck Dressen and Cookie Lavagetto, they would be perfect exemplars of "the unwritten rules". In spite of all the lop-sided losses, the 1957 Nats never pitched a position player.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Old drunk’s usually are.

I know this was a bit of a cheeky comment, but he honestly sounded drunk as a skunk at the presser when he was saying this stuff, from what I could see (just caught a few lines of it within a Jomboy video).

Good thing I'm not looking for a new job.

:lol: :lol:

Offline Elvir Ovcina

The Twins could just as easily have pitched their equivalent of Espino or McGowin or Rainey. Pitching an outfielder is a violation of the "unwritten rules". It makes a mockery of the game. For comparison, I checked the 1957 Washington Senators, whi won 55 games and finished last in the AL. Managed by Chuck Dressen and Cookie Lavagetto, they would be perfect exemplars of "the unwritten rules". In spite of all the lop-sided losses, the 1957 Nats never pitched a position player.

Good thing they didn't pitch an outfielder.  They pitched the one-man MLB comedy show, the Bartolo Colon of catchers/first basemen/third basemen but god please god just about anything beside outfielders the Richter scale is quaking in fear.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I imagine the White Sox behind closed doors in La Russa stumbling in, rambling on about some anecdote about Walt Weiss being a tough nosed competitors for the A's, then rambling out and leaving the rest of the staff to try to clean it up and go over the actual game plan for that night.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for this Mensa meeting of the minds.

"ug"
"ug, break stone"
"ug ug ug eat meat ug"

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
"How many times do I have to tell you...call Gio's dad."

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
We got Davey Johnson in his later years and he wasn’t perfect, but he’s better than La Russa. It felt like he knew he was a bit older and that it was a different world, and he let the players be themselves.

Matt Williams was the one who came in and tried to be a hard ass.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Satire, but I laughed:

Tony La Russa calls on MLB to suspend Yankees Tyler Wade after Wade convinced the White Sox skipper Sunday that relievers had a 3 inning minimum and not 3 batters:

“Thought I would ask the kid what the rule was and he lied to me,” La Russa said. “That’s bush league honestly.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/nyporchsport/status/1396854935594184707

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
 :P
Satire maybe, but definitely in the realm of possibility. 

Offline UMDNats

I honestly thought it was real at first.