Author Topic: Shohei “Show Time” Ohtani  (Read 4090 times)

Shohei “Show Time” Ohtani
« Topic Start: May 18, 2021, 09:20:09 AM »
He leads the league in HR. Isn’t he amazing? Remember we almost signed him?  :mg:

Re: Shohei “Show Time” Ohtani
« Reply #1: May 19, 2021, 05:50:36 AM »
The only comparison to this dude is Babe freaking Ruth

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #2: May 19, 2021, 09:26:32 AM »
The life of an Angel.  Enjoy South California weather, do amazing individual things and don't have be stressed about playing any meaningful games past May.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #3: May 19, 2021, 09:36:49 AM »
The life of an Angel.  Enjoy South California weather, do amazing individual things and don't have be stressed about playing any meaningful games past May.
Brutal.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #4: May 19, 2021, 10:01:09 AM »

And think about how much better your stats would be if you got to face your team's pitchers.

« Reply #5: May 26, 2021, 07:21:28 AM »
I just wish he can stay healthy. He just hit his 15th dinger of the year with 117mph exit velocity.

« Reply #6: June 21, 2021, 06:36:06 AM »
Hello 23 home runs

« Reply #7: June 29, 2021, 12:56:33 AM »
A starting pitcher is leading the mlb in home runs. Ohtani is a better pitcher than babe Ruth  :mg:

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #8: June 29, 2021, 03:08:49 AM »
He has to be the first player from the Far East whose power really translated to the American game.

Shin-Soo Choo wasn't bad, but more like an Olerud/Nick Johnson type with the reliable 15-25 HR, a good number of doubles, and reaching base a lot.  Pretty big difference between that and what Ohtani is doing.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #9: June 29, 2021, 08:48:29 AM »
A starting pitcher is leading the mlb in home runs. Ohtani is a better pitcher than babe Ruth  :mg:
I would kind of like to see Degrom in the HR Derby too.  If the NL had the DH, then he'd be a candidate to do that on his off days.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #10: June 29, 2021, 09:45:20 AM »
Pretty jealous that Anthony Rendon gets to see this guy in person every single day.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #11: June 29, 2021, 10:13:16 AM »
Pretty jealous that Anthony Rendon gets to see this guy in person every single day.
Man, he's sure been terrible this year.  With last year a write off, this year a bad year, next year a strike year, the Angels are going to be stuck paying a lot of money on the back end of that contract without enjoying much benefit from the front end.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #12: June 29, 2021, 11:34:13 AM »
Man, he's sure been terrible this year.  With last year a write off, this year a bad year, next year a strike year, the Angels are going to be stuck paying a lot of money on the back end of that contract without enjoying much benefit from the front end.

won't stop the mouthbreathers on twitter from tweeting about how we should have locked up rendon

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #13: June 29, 2021, 11:56:58 AM »
Matsui?

edit: never mind, I looked it up.  Not really even close. 
He has to be the first player from the Far East whose power really translated to the American game.

Shin-Soo Choo wasn't bad, but more like an Olerud/Nick Johnson type with the reliable 15-25 HR, a good number of doubles, and reaching base a lot.  Pretty big difference between that and what Ohtani is doing.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #14: June 29, 2021, 12:15:53 PM »

won't stop the mouthbreathers on twitter from tweeting about how we should have locked up rendon
Thank goodness they spent that money on Strasburg instead of Rendon.  :hysterical:

« Reply #15: June 30, 2021, 12:24:32 AM »
He hits his 27th and 28 today at the Bronx. This is like a video game :mg:

« Reply #16: June 30, 2021, 12:29:42 AM »
And he is scheduled to start tomorrow night

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17: June 30, 2021, 08:57:35 AM »
He hits his 27th and 28 today at the Bronx. This is like a video game :mg:
So, I guess it is better he's in the AL because he can DH when he's not pitching, but in the NL, I suppose he'd play first or left when he was not on the mound.  I think Maddon gives up the DH when Ohtani is pitching.

I'd be really interested in seeing what the Mets would do with DeGrom if there were a DH. In an odd way, the exceptionally hitting pitchers benefit from a DH if they can DH when they are not ptiching. It's incredibly rare, but Micah Owings I think about 10 years ago probably could have DH'd.

« Reply #18: June 30, 2021, 09:43:20 AM »
So, I guess it is better he's in the AL because he can DH when he's not pitching, but in the NL, I suppose he'd play first or left when he was not on the mound.  I think Maddon gives up the DH when Ohtani is pitching.

I'd be really interested in seeing what the Mets would do with DeGrom if there were a DH. In an odd way, the exceptionally hitting pitchers benefit from a DH if they can DH when they are not ptiching. It's incredibly rare, but Micah Owings I think about 10 years ago probably could have DH'd.

Lol. The only comparable is Ruth. Degrom has 1 double this season, and has 1 home run in his career. :mg:

« Reply #19: June 30, 2021, 10:17:32 AM »
Shohei should be the MVP he has 5.7WAR compare to odds on favourite Vlad Jr 4.3.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20: June 30, 2021, 10:24:11 AM »
Lol. The only comparable is Ruth. Degrom has 1 double this season, and has 1 home run in his career. :mg:
I agree that Ruth is really the only great pitcher who hit like this, and he had to give up pitching to put up the really big numbers.  It looks like Ohtani's on a 50 HR pace while being paid to pitch.

deGrom is having a fluky year and it is a small sample, but .414 / .414 / .448 is a :shock: line, too, especially when his team's offense has been so bad.  But yes, never cleared .200 for a batting average and 1 XBH this year puts him in a completely different class than the new Ruth.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #21: June 30, 2021, 12:20:13 PM »
Samurai of Swat

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #22: June 30, 2021, 07:57:15 PM »
Didn’t make it out of the first.  Gave up 7 runs. Four walks.

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #23: July 01, 2021, 08:59:19 AM »
Among recent pitchers, the one who was touted for having some pop is MadBum. His career numbers are 19 home runs and 64 RBI in 615 ABs. I suppose that is roughly equivalent to one full season for an everyday position player, so that makes him similar to a position player with somewhat better-than-average power. Maybe better, if he was in a position to devote himself more to polishing his hitting. But still nowhere near Ohtani's level.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #24: July 02, 2021, 12:30:40 PM »
Back in college, I was writing a paper about how our society gets more specialized over time and I used pitchers hitting as an example. At the time, Dontrelle Willis (the "D Train") was the best hitting pitcher in baseball. I compared his batting numbers those of Walter Johnson, an old timey pitcher who was never held out as an especially good hitter. Walter Johnson had much better numbers at the plate, showing how our standards of what makes a "good hitting pitcher" have eroded over time as pitchers became more specialized and focused less and less on even trying to hit.

I suspect Ohtani will eventually be forced to pick between pitching and hitting and I would pick hitting if I were him but this is a great show this year. Too bad he's the starting DH of the AL in the All Star Game, because it means he likely won't both pitch and hit in the ASG. Even if he weren't leading baseball in WAR, in my opinion a player who manages to be both an above average hitter and an above average pitcher in the same season should win the MVP even if somebody else has more WAR. Same way when Ole Miss had that guy about 10 years ago who could play both offense and defense, I thought he should be considered for the Heisman even if he's merely above average at both roles, even against a guy who's like really outstanding at only one position.