Author Topic: 800 pound gorilla  (Read 2800 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: 800 pound gorilla
« Reply #25: May 30, 2021, 11:14:04 AM »
I love Juan Soto, but you do have to wonder if he's swinging differently now and whether it is due to his shoulder.  I don't expect this team or him to say, "I've changed my swing path because it hurts when I try to elevate the ball."  I expect him to say "there's nothing wrong, I'm still driving the ball, don't panic." 

He's doing some things still amazingly (like his ability to draw walks, maybe out of disrespect to Bell and Schwarber) and he's K'ng at his lowest % of his career.  Compared to 2019, he's hitting a lot more balls on the ground, pulling a lot less, and the contact is slightly softer (per FG).  His exit velo is a touch off of the past 2 years, but the past 2 years he may have sacrificed launch angle for fewer Ks. He's taking more strikes while he swings less overall. 
https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/juan-soto-665742?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

Davey has said he wants his players swing earlier at strikes. That seems to be what Soto is not doing. He's still hitting the ball plenty hard for power if he were hitting flies.