Author Topic: 2021 Trade Discussions/Rumors/Deadline - buy or sell  (Read 35155 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
If the plan is to be competitive in the last couple year's of Soto's contract, then Rizzo needs to be selling now. But I dont think this will be a better team in 2-3 years, as Corbin and Strasburg arent going to be getting any better, Turner will be gone, and their will be even less financial flexibility due to deferred money.

Its been obvious what this team needs for the last two years. Every cheap fix has blown up in Rizzo's face. Either fix it or scrap it. 

How's that working out for Miami?

Offline nfotiu

I'm with you.  I'll never get excited for a big sell off.   If they decide that's what they have to do, so be it, but I'll never fault them for giving it a go if they're still in striking distance.   It doesn't seem like rentals or sell offs work out often enough to be that big of a missed opportunity.   

Castro being gone does change things a bit though.   Is there a 3rd base option out there who isn't just a rental?  Maybe someone with 2-3 years left on a contract or team control?

Offline Monarch

I'm with you.  I'll never get excited for a big sell off.   If they decide that's what they have to do, so be it, but I'll never fault them for giving it a go if they're still in striking distance.   It doesn't seem like rentals or sell offs work out often enough to be that big of a missed opportunity.   

Castro being gone does change things a bit though.   Is there a 3rd base option out there who isn't just a rental?  Maybe someone with 2-3 years left on a contract or team control?

Obviously that would be ideal, but a good 3b (a clear upgrade to what Castro is/was) with multiple years of control the more its gonna cost us.

Online imref

I'd love to get Bryant, but with our starting pitching woes I don't see how we have any chance to win the division.  That being said, I'd rather we take the St. Louis approach of trying to remain competitive every year than trading everyone but Soto and trying to rebuild from scratch. 

Sell off the pieces with high value / expiring contracts and retool for next year: Scherzer, Hand, Hudson, & Harrison. Extend Turner, and then build around a core of Soto, Turner, and Garcia.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
If we buy I’d look into a Robles + for buxton swap.  Despite everything Robles still does have upside.  His floor is relatively high with his speed and defense.  He’s still only 24 and has a slightly positive war despite batting only .208.  Buxom ha some more year of control vs 3 more for Robles.  Wild definitely take another piece or two (Rutledge, kieboom, etc)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Buxton is so hurt he cant even grip a baseball. Hard pass.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

If we buy I’d look into a Robles + for buxton swap.  Despite everything Robles still does have upside.  His floor is relatively high with his speed and defense.  He’s still only 24 and has a slightly positive war despite batting only .208.  Buxom ha some more year of control vs 3 more for Robles.  Wild definitely take another piece or two (Rutledge, kieboom, etc)

Buxton is already the CF version of Strasburg.  With the Nats' medical staff, he'd be lucky if played two weeks before being listed day to day after being decapitated.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

Just from watching the last two games, I started to look at the players Miami got for Christian Yelich, Giancarlo Stanton, Marcel Ozuna, and JT Realmuto. Intending to look up how each player they got has worked out, I quit after searching for the players they got for Yelich. A miserable batch.

Offline Natsinpwc

Just from watching the last two games, I started to look at the players Miami got for Christian Yelich, Giancarlo Stanton, Marcel Ozuna, and JT Realmuto. Intending to look up how each player they got has worked out, I quit after searching for the players they got for Yelich. A miserable batch.
I believe they got Alcantara in the Ozone deal.  Top flight pitcher.  Sixto Sanchez for JT.  Also top flight but injured.  They also got Alfaro.  The reason you have a GM and scouts is to identify the good ones. 

Online welch

I believe they got Alcantara in the Ozone deal.  Top flight pitcher.  Sixto Sanchez for JT.  Also top flight but injured.  They also got Alfaro.  The reason you have a GM and scouts is to identify the good ones. 

Yelich got Miami Lewis Brinson, Isan Diaz, Monte Harrison and Jordan Yamamoto. We've seen Brinson, Diaz, and Harrison, and they have not been impressive.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Yelich got Miami Lewis Brinson, Isan Diaz, Monte Harrison and Jordan Yamamoto. We've seen Brinson, Diaz, and Harrison, and they have not been impressive.

Yelich isn't all that anymore himself...and he costs a helluva lot more than all those cats combined...

Online welch

For Ozuma, the Marlins got Sandy Alcantara, Daniel Castano, Zac Gallen and Magneuris Sierra. (Zach Gallen got traded to Arizona for OF Jazz Chisolm. We've seen Chisolm)

Offline Slateman

Yelich isn't all that anymore himself...and he costs a helluva lot more than all those cats combined...
:lmao:

Because freak that MVP award and hitting .327/.415/.631 before suffering a debilitating knee injury, right? And he's still outhitting all of them

Offline Slateman

For Ozuma, the Marlins got Sandy Alcantara, Daniel Castano, Zac Gallen and Magneuris Sierra. (Zach Gallen got traded to Arizona for OF Jazz Chisolm. We've seen Chisolm)
Pretty sure that was with a new GM

Offline Slateman

Nelson Cruz to the Rays. Got the Rays number 10 and 17 prospects. Its decisively a seller's market.

A healthy Kyle Schwarber would have gotten a nice return

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Nelson Cruz to the Rays. Got the Rays number 10 and 17 prospects. Its decisively a seller's market.

A healthy Kyle Schwarber would have gotten a nice return
no kidding. Having him and Gomes hurt now ruined two nice trade chits.

Online Mattionals

So there is a rumor that one team is interested in trading for Trevor Story and moving him to CF. That can't be the Nats, right? Too out of the box thinking and, please, this team is going to end up with 85 wins and miss the playoffs in the best case scenario.

Online imref

Fangraphs pitches a trade idea:

The Houston Astros acquire P Max Scherzer from the Washington Nationals for SS Jeremy Peña, C Korey Lee, and SS Freudis Nova

I’m a huge fan of Peña and not super-worried about his recovery from wrist surgery, but this could be one of the last, best opportunities for these Astros to go over the top with the acquisition of an ace and try to secure that elusive second championship. Winning one without any whiff of trash can shenanigans would also take some of the oomph out of the criticism that they’ve faced, though they’ll remain the target of boos under any circumstance. Houston has done an excellent job patching together its non-Zack Greinke rotation, something I was skeptical about coming into the season, but with José Urquidy’s recent health troubles, the team would be smart to minimize its downside. A Greinke-Scherzer one-two makes everything behind them look that much better.

Offline Slateman

So there is a rumor that one team is interested in trading for Trevor Story and moving him to CF. That can't be the Nats, right? Too out of the box thinking and, please, this team is going to end up with 85 wins and miss the playoffs in the best case scenario.
That has Yankees written all over it

Offline Natsinpwc

Fangraphs pitches a trade idea:
I would do that in a heartbeat.  Those are their #4-6 prospects per MLB.  Two infielders and a catcher.  Change an infielder to an outfielder. 

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
If we trade with the astros I want korey Lee AND Pedro Leon

Offline UMDNats

That has Yankees written all over it

absolutely

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Prospects are just so random. Marlins got a sack of feces for a bunch of premiere players. The Pirates got Bryan Reynolds for a declining McCutchen.

I’m pro-sell at this point, and I still am realistic it may turn out for a whole lot of nothing.

Offline Slateman

Prospects are just so random. Marlins got a sack of feces for a bunch of premiere players. The Pirates got Bryan Reynolds for a declining McCutchen.

I’m pro-sell at this point, and I still am realistic it may turn out for a whole lot of nothing.
Rizzo wins trades.

Here's the thing: You dont really lose anything if its a whole lot of nothing. These guys are all going to be gone at the end of the season, and, at best, the Nats will have a couple more meaninless wins that put us further back in the draft.

There's nothing to lose by selling.

Offline UMDNats

remember when the athletics FLEECED us because lazardo was a superstar? oh wait now he's not and doolittle carried us for most of 2019

we should sell because if nothing else rizzo has done a good job trading spare part-type prospects for legitimate major leaguers to upgrade small parts of the roster. so get more spare parts