Author Topic: 2021 Trade Discussions/Rumors/Deadline - buy or sell  (Read 34479 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
It’s a good thing Soto was untouchable.
Cant recall anything that ever listed Soto as untouchable.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
They are not untouchable. If Robles hasnt taught you that no one is untouchable, then you never will learn.

But the Nationals absolutely have pieces to get a rental bat. Its simply a matter of being willing to pay. And Rizzo's strength is trades.
Cavalli I would move for a healthy Ohtani, so I agree no one is untouchable, but to move Cavalli, it would have to be for a player who makes us 50/50 to make the NLCS. I don't think Bryant or Semien does that. I know TINSTAAPP, but this team badly needs a cost-controlled starter who is a #1 or a #2. I'd pass on a player who doesn't lock down a division championship, because we don't make it as a wc this yrar, and we have to be a coin toss to beat the NL Central winner.  I am not even sure about that because we still will be dogs to the NL West survivor

Online Slateman

Cavalli I would move for a healthy Ohtani, so I agree no one is untouchable, but to move Cavalli, it would have to be for a player who makes us 50/50 to make the NLCS. I don't think Bryant or Semien does that. I know TINSTAAPP, but this team badly needs a cost-controlled starter who is a #1 or a #2. I'd pass on a player who doesn't lock down a division championship, because we don't make it as a wc this yrar, and we have to be a coin toss to beat the NL Central winner.  I am not even sure about that because we still will be dogs to the NL West survivor

Seimen or Story, with health through the rest of the team, makes us NLCS contenders.

Online Natsinpwc

Eduardo Escobar seems more like a Rizzo/Lerners type guy.  Can play 2B or 3B.  Decent hitter.  Hitting for more power this year.  Final year of his contract.  Arizona will be sellers. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Eduardo Escobar seems more like a Rizzo/Lerners type guy.  Can play 2B or 3B.  Decent hitter.  Hitting for more power this year.  Final year of his contract.  Arizona will be sellers. 
That is the type of midlevel add we could make for a little salary relief and a low major flier. I'd be happy about that.

Online Natsinpwc

That is the type of midlevel add we could make for a little salary relief and a low major flier. I'd be happy about that.
Apparently the White Sox are interested in him also.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I agree here. He was never a superstar prospect in our system. I feel like Robles was always the bigger name and Soto was mixed in with Kieboom and Fedde. I remember being shocked when he was called up.

I was bored and did some research. I found a couple Top 30 lists from 2017 and 2018 with Soto's ETA as 2020. I don't think he was ever even in the conversation to move.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
I agree here. He was never a superstar prospect in our system. I feel like Robles was always the bigger name and Soto was mixed in with Kieboom and Fedde. I remember being shocked when he was called up.

I was bored and did some research. I found a couple Top 30 lists from 2017 and 2018 with Soto's ETA as 2020. I don't think he was ever even in the conversation to move.

He was our #2 prospect in 2017 according to MLB Pipeline and 42nd overall in the MLB, but he missed most of that year due to an ankle injury. He went into 2018 at #28 overall in the MLB but he flew through the minor league system so quickly in 2018 there wasn't much time for him to be the subject of trade rumors or make revised prospect lists.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
he's avg/ obp is in Starlin's range, but is a huge power upgrade.  Too bad about Starlin's wrist.  I think that's 100% of his problem in terms of power.  But yes, for this year, that's the type of guy you can put in 5th or 6th and have him come up with guys on and swat balls out.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
He was our #2 prospect in 2017 according to MLB Pipeline and 42nd overall in the MLB, but he missed most of that year due to an ankle injury. He went into 2018 at #28 overall in the MLB but he flew through the minor league system so quickly in 2018 there wasn't much time for him to be the subject of trade rumors or make revised prospect lists.
really curious if his name came up when he was in low minors.

Online Natsinpwc

He wasn’t touched so that’s a good thing. I am sure teams knew who he was. Lucky we didn’t toss him into a deal to hang onto our big prospect Robles.

Online Slateman

Thats basically adding another Josh Bell

Online Slateman

He wasn’t touched so that’s a good thing. I am sure teams knew who he was. Lucky we didn’t toss him into a deal to hang onto our big prospect Robles.
Except we have multiple articles that talk about teams asking for Robles.

No one expected Soto to achieve what he has so far. No one. If the Nats had traded Soto in 2017 or 2018, everyone would have been like, "Cool, good move, we didnt give up Robles"

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
really curious if his name came up when he was in low minors.

I think that Miami wanted Robles and Soto for J.T. Realmuto.

Offline imref

Found this:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2774789-prospects-mlb-teams-need-to-sell-high-on-via-trades

May 9, 2018

It's understandable if the Washington Nationals' first instinct with Juan Soto is to tell other teams to back the hell off.

The outfielder has already become so much more than the well-regarded prospect that he was coming into 2018. He started with a 1.300 OPS and five homers in 16 games for Single-A Hagerstown. He then got bumped to High-A Potomac, for whom he's put up a 1.275 OPS and six homers in only 14 games.

By the way, this dude is still only 19 years old.

At the least, Soto has leap-frogged Victor Robles as the most exciting prospect in Washington's farm system. At most, he's put himself in the running for the best prospect in baseball.

But while the Nationals could wait for Soto, it could mean waiting until 2020 :hysterical: . He's not going to help them this year, which is kinda-sorta-definitely an important year for the franchise with Bryce Harper (and others) due for free agency.

At this rate, Soto could be used to land just about any trade candidate. With needs at catcher, in the outfield and in their bullpen, the Nationals have plenty of excuses to cash him in.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Found this:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2774789-prospects-mlb-teams-need-to-sell-high-on-via-trades

May 9, 2018

In the writer's defense, Juan Soto has been a stud and Yordan Alvarez has been a stud.

The rest not so much.

Offline hotshot

I think that Miami wanted Robles and Soto for J.T. Realmuto.
My recollection was that Robles was the key player that the Marlins had to have. I don't recall Soto being included in reported trade discussions. Robles was, at the time, a player the Nats were unwilling to consider trading.

Online Slateman

10 out 14. Max looks great.

Go get one of Semein/Story/Frazier, then go get Ian Kennedy  from the Rangers

Offline imref

It might be more important to add someone to help out Hand at this point.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

In the writer's defense, Juan Soto has been a stud and Yordan Alvarez has been a stud.

The rest not so much.

Uh, Shane Bieber won the Cy Young last year and finished fourth the year before.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Uh, Shane Bieber won the Cy Young last year and finished fourth the year before.
Minor oversight on my part

Online Slateman

10 out 14. Max looks great.

Go get one of Semein/Story/Frazier, then go get Ian Kennedy  from the Rangers
freaking do it Rizzo

Offline nfotiu

freaking do it Rizzo
Like 2019, there is a lot of chemistry on this team.   There's a lot of guys playing for each other, and picking each other up, and all that.  Davey can really build a "team" it seems, and I don't know that displacing a regular would go over well.   Soto hitting like real Soto, Hudson back, and if Strasburg can come back, I think this team can go somewhere.

Offline imref

We need insurance for hand.

Online Natsinpwc