Author Topic: 2021 Trade Discussions/Rumors/Deadline - buy or sell  (Read 34509 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Still believe we're a bat away from being legit contenders. Even without Stras, the emergence of Fedde and decent bullpen arms makes up for him. The offense feels feast or famine and its pretty obvious we need one more good bat to slot behind (or in front of) Soto.

After a stellar start, Josh Harrison has fallen back down to Earth. Castro cant seem to get it going. A second or third baseman with an average over .275 and an OPS over .750 would beba significant upgrade.

Offline hotshot

Still believe we're a bat away from being legit contenders. Even without Stras, the emergence of Fedde and decent bullpen arms makes up for him. The offense feels feast or famine and its pretty obvious we need one more good bat to slot behind (or in front of) Soto.

After a stellar start, Josh Harrison has fallen back down to Earth. Castro cant seem to get it going. A second or third baseman with an average over .275 and an OPS over .750 would beba significant upgrade.
Couldn't agree more. Schwarber can't be expected to keep this pace up. Mets are about to get Nimmo, Conforto and McNeil back shortly. We need that extra everyday bat!

Offline DPMOmaha

Let's say they go get Kris Bryant or something. Who plays 2b? Castro or Harrison or other?

Also, can they get 3B without giving up the few real prospects that are on the farm?

Edit: They're not getting Bryant with the season the Cubs are having...

Edit again: Looking at the trade targets and I have no idea who they'd go after unless they could get Donaldson from Minnesota and take on his salary...

Offline Slateman

Let's say they go get Kris Bryant or something. Who plays 2b? Castro or Harrison or other?

Also, can they get 3B without giving up the few real prospects that are on the farm?

Edit: They're not getting Bryant with the season the Cubs are having...

Edit again: Looking at the trade targets and I have no idea who they'd go after unless they could get Donaldson from Minnesota and take on his salary...
Castro probably plays second. Or Harrison. Who cares.

Also, who cares, give them whatever they want.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
The Cubs are in first place, they aren't trading Kris Bryant.

If we're looking for a 3B upgrade, a few good 3B on bad club options:
- Trevor Story, though he's only played SS
- Luis Arraez, he's 24, so he'd cost a ton
- Anthony Rendon (yeah we can dream right?, but he's only hitting .230 in LAA and we'd both need him to agree to come back, and the Angels to eat a ton of salary). OK, that's not going to happen.

Offline DPMOmaha

Yeah, I tried to strike my KB idea from the record. It didn't work. Not sure what realistic 3B upgrade options there are. Maybe they get creative and go the 2B route instead.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Eugenio Suárez Is batting .171 with 14 home runs. He’d fit right in.

Offline DPMOmaha

Could always go for AsCab round 3.

Offline Slateman

Could always go for AsCab round 3.
If both Castro and Harrison sucked, sure. But we need a better hitter than Cabrera.

Offline DPMOmaha

If both Castro and Harrison sucked, sure. But we need a better hitter than Cabrera.
Which is why I wonder if they don't go after a 2B instead of a 3B. Like, could they pry a Merrifield from KC or Frazier from Pitt?

Offline Slateman

Jose Ramirez and Ketel Marte would top the list, but I dont think the Nats have enough.

Next is Trevor Story, Adam Frazier, and Marcus Seimen are the next tier. I dont think the Jays are contenders in that division, mainly due to their pitching. The starting pitching market right now is barren, and anything worthwhile will cost dearly. The Jays arent there yet.

Semien would he my choice here. He can play second and third, but also play shortstop. That covers us for Turner to get some days off in summer.

Offline DPMOmaha

Nats also have a really tough schedule after the Marlins series this week heading into the ASB. That should/could really inform the Nats direction shortly thereafter one way or the other. If the Nats want to make a push in the division, they almost need to make the position player move ASAP. If the games vs. the NL West go poorly, then you can start the sell off after the break.

Offline DPMOmaha

Jose Ramirez and Ketel Marte would top the list, but I dont think the Nats have enough.

Next is Trevor Story, Adam Frazier, and Marcus Seimen are the next tier. I dont think the Jays are contenders in that division, mainly due to their pitching. The starting pitching market right now is barren, and anything worthwhile will cost dearly. The Jays arent there yet.

Semien would he my choice here. He can play second and third, but also play shortstop. That covers us for Turner to get some days off in summer.
Cleveland is 2.5 behind the White Sox and 2 out of the Wild Card and should get some pitching back before long. They're kind of in the same spot we are. They need a bat to make a push. I don't see them sending their best bat away.

Semien and Marte would be nice, though!

Offline Slateman

Nats also have a really tough schedule after the Marlins series this week heading into the ASB. That should/could really inform the Nats direction shortly thereafter one way or the other. If the Nats want to make a push in the division, they almost need to make the position player move ASAP. If the games vs. the NL West go poorly, then you can start the sell off after the break.
Honestly, if the Nats wait until after the ASB, they are, at best, where they are now.

This is probably the most frustrating part of the Rizzo/Lerner team. Its blatantly obvious what hole(s) this team has but they always wait until its too late to fill them.

By the time you sell after the break, your best assets have lost a third of their value.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
how tough?  At home with NYM for 1, then 2 vs. TB and 4 vs. LAD.  After that, on the road for 4 in SD and 3 in SF.  14 games, probably need .500 or better.  Thinking about it, they should know by Sunday night.  They probably need to go 4-2 over this 6 game trip to be on the fringe, and that may assume the Mets play neutral ball.

Offline DPMOmaha

Honestly, if the Nats wait until after the ASB, they are, at best, where they are now.

This is probably the most frustrating part of the Rizzo/Lerner team. Its blatantly obvious what hole(s) this team has but they always wait until its too late to fill them.

By the time you sell after the break, your best assets have lost a third of their value.
I hear you, but other teams aren't making moves either. So, while it would be ideal to do it now, it seems like other teams aren't really willing to do that until closer to the deadline. It's kind of a two-to-tango situation. The early (first half) season deal seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Offline Slateman

I hear you, but other teams aren't making moves either. So, while it would be ideal to do it now, it seems like other teams aren't really willing to do that until closer to the deadline. It's kind of a two-to-tango situation. The early (first half) season deal seems to be the exception rather than the rule.
Thats all the more reason to make moves now. The other teams are waiting. Get your hitter now and see if you can keep the run going.

Offline DPMOmaha

how tough?  At home with NYM for 1, then 2 vs. TB and 4 vs. LAD.  After that, on the road for 4 in SD and 3 in SF.  14 games, probably need .500 or better. 
They've shown the can be competitive vs. those teams over the past week and a half, but the games vs. SD, SF and LA are vs. the teams with the three best records in the NL. And west coast trips are never easy. The way they're playing right now, they should be able to hang tough, but this team's fragile enough the bottom could fall out at any moment. If Max comes back without any issue, that would be a huge boost.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Thats all the more reason to make moves now. The other teams are waiting. Get your hitter now and see if you can keep the run going.
there's no rule against dealing now and then flipping the asset you pick up closer to the deadline.  I just don't see the assets to  trade to help this year. 

Offline DPMOmaha

On this side of the keyboard, I agree with you.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I don't think we have the pieces to make a move of significance.

The Nationals road to contention is Juan Soto turning back into Juan Soto. And hopefully a Schwarber cold streak will coincide with a Robles or Bell hot streak.

And hoping Strasburg comes back later this season. :pray:

Offline rileyn

The Nationals road to contention is Juan Soto turning back into Juan Soto. And hopefully a Schwarber cold streak will coincide with a Robles or Bell hot streak.

Agree with this...sort of.  I would trade Kieboom if anybody is willing to bite.  Obviously Cavelli and Rutledge are untouchable. 

Our key to success will be Soto hitting for power, Strasburg returning at the ASB, which is equivalent to picking up a starter, and Castro/Harrison picking it up a bit. 

Offline Slateman

Agree with this...sort of.  I would trade Kieboom if anybody is willing to bite.  Obviously Cavelli and Rutledge are untouchable. 

Our key to success will be Soto hitting for power, Strasburg returning at the ASB, which is equivalent to picking up a starter, and Castro/Harrison picking it up a bit. 
They are not untouchable. If Robles hasnt taught you that no one is untouchable, then you never will learn.

But the Nationals absolutely have pieces to get a rental bat. Its simply a matter of being willing to pay. And Rizzo's strength is trades.

Offline Slateman

If both of those things happened, its still not enough. You still need another bat

Offline Natsinpwc

They are not untouchable. If Robles hasnt taught you that no one is untouchable, then you never will learn.

But the Nationals absolutely have pieces to get a rental bat. Its simply a matter of being willing to pay. And Rizzo's strength is trades.
It’s a good thing Soto was untouchable.