Author Topic: 2021 Trade Discussions/Rumors/Deadline - buy or sell  (Read 34503 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Scherzer can refuse a trade as a 10/5 player, right?

I assume Rizzo basically leaves the decision to Max, if he wants another shot at a ring, they'll move him. If he wants to stay here, he'll stay here.

Offline Natsinpwc

Scherzer can refuse a trade as a 10/5 player, right?

I assume Rizzo basically leaves the decision to Max, if he wants another shot at a ring, they'll move him. If he wants to stay here, he'll stay here.
It’s not up to Rizzo. Up to the owners.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
What about Alfonso Soriano?
had the Lerners been awarded the team? Were they still dressing the team up to get the stadium?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
had the Lerners been awarded the team? Were they still dressing the team up to get the stadium?
Dunno, asking you old people

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Dunno, asking you old people
was mostly a sox fan at the time

Offline Slateman

Offline aspenbubba

was mostly a sox fan at the time

WHITE sox???

Offline Slateman

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Elvir - curious - would you wrap up Trea in a package to dump one of the really bad contracts? It substantially lessens the return to Runelvys level, but it generates a lot of space to restructure the roster to reflect the going rate for pitchers etc...

Probably not.  He's not enough compensation for anyone taking on Strasburg's contract right now and too much for anyone taking on Corbin's.  If you're trading him, the team's going to be bad next year anyway, so you might as well pay Corbin to eat innings and help the team stink if it gets to that.  I think you'd be better off trading Turner for value that could come into real utility on a 2-3 year horizon, just as you're ridding yourself of Corbin. 

Strasburg's a different matter, but I doubt anyone is desperate to take on what is right now looking like potentially the worst pitching contract ever.

Offline Slateman

The key to trading Trea is to trade for guys who will be here at the end of those contracts

Offline Elvir Ovcina

The key to trading Trea is to trade for guys who will be here at the end of those contracts

One key issue people need to understand is that those contracts are so long that they both equal or exceed Soto's period of team control.  I don't think a lot of people appreciate that.  Those contracts have basically ruined their chances of winning anything additional without having to extend Soto until infinity. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Hell, I'd bring Zimm back again.

Offline imref

Hell, I'd bring Zimm back again.

Trade him to Tampa for Wander Franco!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
One key issue people need to understand is that those contracts are so long that they both equal or exceed Soto's period of team control.  I don't think a lot of people appreciate that.  Those contracts have basically ruined their chances of winning anything additional without having to extend Soto until infinity. 
Stras is to 2025 , Corbin to 2024, which is Soto's arb 4

Offline Slateman

Okay, the freak it, trade Soto

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Corbin ends after 2024, Strasburg is through 2026.  '20 was the first season of a 7-year deal.  Soto is playing on Arb1 this year, meaning Arb4 is 2024, the last year of Corbin's deal.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Well, that was supposedly Kasten.  Somehow, I think Rizzo has less autonomy than Kasten, or else Kasten had such simple instructions (don't spend much and don't chase significant veterans because we are tanking) that he could do what he pleased.  Kasten never had to propose something the Lerners would say no to.
I just disagree that Rizzo has a bad job.

He could have left after the championship and there would have been demand for a championship winning GM. He stayed. If it is that bad working for Lerners, he wouldn't have taken an extension.

Offline imref

MLB trade deadline is July 30

Barring a massive turnaround, i'd imagine the candidates to go are Hand, Hudson, Scherzer, Schwarber, Castro, and Bell. I don't see us trading Turner, not with another year left and management likely wanting to keep him as a cornerstone going forward.

Offline Mattionals

Barring a massive turnaround, i'd imagine the candidates to go are Hand, Hudson, Scherzer, Schwarber, Castro, and Bell. I don't see us trading Turner, not with another year left and management likely wanting to keep him as a cornerstone going forward.

I doubt they move Bell until the offseason at least. Only reason is because his value is so low right now, less than what the Nats traded him for. He had a much more normal and respectable May all things considered, batting .264/.312/.483. I think if he ends up batting that for the rest of the season, he shows that Mar/Apr was an outlier and his value takes a bump back to what it was when the Nats traded for him.

Turner is more likely to go in the offseason.

Offline Slateman

I doubt they move Bell until the offseason at least. Only reason is because his value is so low right now, less than what the Nats traded him for. He had a much more normal and respectable May all things considered, batting .264/.312/.483. I think if he ends up batting that for the rest of the season, he shows that Mar/Apr was an outlier and his value takes a bump back to what it was when the Nats traded for him.

Turner is more likely to go in the offseason.

Bell hitting .269/.321/.500 so far in June

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Gomes would be a useful catcher, too. I also see them moving Harrison.  His market is likely to be better than Castro due to affordability as well as performance.

Offline imref

Bell hitting .269/.321/.500 so far in June

that's 6 starts and two pinch hitting appearances.

Over his last 10 games (8 starts): .235 / .278 / .500, still well below career average.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace

Add Harrison if he can rebound a little.  Even now he’s definitely worth more than Castro due to better numbers and positional versatility. 

Offline Slateman

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
https://mobile.twitter.com/scotgregor/status/1403095015874781188?s=19

Josh Harrison would be a good fit in Chicago
you thinking move him out and call up Garcia, or move him out and go with Mercer?