Author Topic: 2021 Trade Discussions/Rumors/Deadline - buy or sell  (Read 34492 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Castro is performing within career norms.

Like I said, the team nees Bryant or a similar middle of the order bat

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Castro is playing great?   News to me.   Zero power, doesn’t get on base

I guess it’s a good thing that baseball has components other than batting.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I guess it’s a good thing that baseball has components other than batting.

He's been surprisingly good at 3B, especially considering that includes a couple numbskull-type errors.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Castro's glove is making up for the bat, but "great" sounds like an overstatement.

Obviously not the biggest problem right now, though.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Better to say he's solid average considering d. For just his offense, his power is down, but his small ball stats are at or better than his norm. A 2 WAR player is average by definition. Any power shows up he's  above average

Offline raleighnat

It seems nuts to me to buy.  The longer we wait the deeper the down cycle.  I think our target should be 2023.  I'd trade Scherzer, Turner, and all the expiring contracts with value that I could (Hand, Hudson, Schwarber).  I'd even part ways with Robles and just put Stevenson in center.  Probably impossible, but I'd try to shed Corbin.  Do my best to rebuild around Soto, Cavalli, Rutledge, and Henry.  Bridge next year with short term FA's.  Start spending money again in the 2022-23 offseason.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Only way Corbin gets moved is if he's in a package with Turner or we pull together other premium sweeteners and kick in some cash.  Even if he's pitching at 2019 levels, he's still overpaid relative to the current market. 

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Only way Corbin gets moved is if he's in a package with Turner or we pull together other premium sweeteners and kick in some cash.  Even if he's pitching at 2019 levels, he's still overpaid relative to the current market. 

Angels need pitching and Corbin came up with them.  I’d look into a Corbin for Justin upton framework.  Upton is owed 28 million next year in his final year.  Still has pop (8 hr so far) but can’t hit for average anymore.  He’s basically schwarber with worse defense, fewer walks, but hits right handed.

Offline Natsinpwc

Angels need pitching and Corbin came up with them.  I’d look into a Corbin for Justin upton framework.  Upton is owed 28 million next year in his final year.  Still has pop (8 hr so far) but can’t hit for average anymore.  He’s basically schwarber with worse defense, fewer walks, but hits right handed.
If they trade assets they need to get some young prospects. Not Justin Upton.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

The point of that trade is a salary dump to a team that can take the salary, needs the pitching, and has an affinity for the specific pitcher and needs him next year, not this one - you're basically putting up with Upton for this year to get rid of the rest of Corbin's contract.  It's not the craziest idea.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Castro is performing within career norms.

Like I said, the team needs Bryant or a similar middle of the order bat

(Just added the 'd')

Bryant is exactly the player the Nats need. No more waiting for Kieboom, no more gambling on when Kieboom will be ready for 3B. If Kieboom ever learns to hit, then more Bryant to 1B or LF or anyplace he is needed. That's the sort of player Davey says says he want, isn't it? Pay Bryant, and consider him almost a chance to re-do the decision on Rendon.

Overall: buy. The starting pitching is OK except for the 5th starter...but when has a 5th starter ever been a sure-thing ace? Fedde, Voth, and Ross each have their good games, which is good enough for the 5th starter. Avila can't hit. Schwarber-Bell might be starting to hit. Robles is looking better, and I am the last on on this board to praise Robles...but he might become a star. The giant hole, though, is the spot where Rendon used to be.

Offline Monarch

I agree. This team is looking at a long rebuild starting probably after this season and we need as many decent prospects as we can get. The Nats aren't going to sign Turner in the off season (if history has any foreshadowing here) plus he's not going to want to be a part of any rebuild. Stras and Corbin are two guys we're just gonna have to live with considering their contracts + performance/injury issues associated with them...I feel bad for Soto. They won't trade him (even if they should) and he's going to be on some pretty bad teams making relative peanuts for the next couple of years.

That being said, I haven't given up on this season yet. They can definitely turn it around, but IMO, our contention window is probably closed starting after this season and we came away with a WS title to show for it.

Online Slateman

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/the-trickiness-of-max-scherzers-trade-value/

A breakdown of Max Scherzer's trade value. Bottom line is the more money the Nats eat, the more they get in return

Online Slateman

The Nats are three games back. The Mets still have a ton of injuries and none of them are due back any time soon
 The Braves dont have pitching and Ozuna is going to be on the IL for weeks. The Phillies are still middling.

Its really obvious that the Nats can be atop the division with two moves: Replace Starlin Castro with Trevor Story/Kris Bryant/Jose Ramirez/Adam Frazier and take Ross out of the rotation.

The offense hits for average but is feast or famine. Soto isnt hitting at an elite level and its likely due to a combination of a shoulder issue and no real reason to pitch to him.

This is probably the last chance the Nats will have at a deep postseason run.

Online Slateman

Well that didnt age well

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Not quite time to pull the trigger, but the team sits firmly on the sell side.  Too many teams ahead of them, too many holes on the roster to fix (and few assets to trade for them), and what looks like some improved-value trade pieces.

With Strasburg broken, Corbin terrible, Robles hurt and bad, and Soto "underperforming," there is some scope for improvement, but it's vanishingly unlikely to happen fast enough to save this year.  This isn't the 19-31, where you had Rendon and Turner hurt during that run but back by this point and mostly just an awful bullpen.  And that team was already back to 26-33 after June 2. 

This year's edition is going into tonight's name also seven games under .500 but with significantly worse chances of turning it around.  That was a good team playing under its talent level.  This looks to be to be a mediocre team playing only slightly under its talent level.  2019 is not even a pie-in-the-sky panacea now; it's just pure insanity for anyone to keep referencing it.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
ATHLETICS: Outfield prospects

The A’s are likely to be in the market for relief pitching. Yusmeiro Petit, Jake Diekman and Lou Trivino have formed a solid back-end trio, but with their great success has also come a heavy workload. Oakland’s strong outfield depth that has been forming in the Minor Leagues over the last few years -- an intriguing group of prospects that includes Luis Barrera, Greg Deichmann, Lazaro Armenteros and Buddy Reed -- could be available to clubs in exchange for a strong setup- or closer-type arm. Though Elvis Andrus has performed well in recent weeks after a rough start, the A’s could also present a package involving some of these outfielders for an upgrade at shortstop.
  MLB.com article on "one" potential trade candidate on each team.  This sounds like a spot  for Hudson or maybe Hand.

https://www.mlb.com/news/one-trade-chip-for-every-mlb-team-in-2021?partnerId=zh-20210607-419436-MLB-1-A&qid=1026&utm_id=zh-20210607-419436-MLB-1-A&bt_ee=K539cF8lfJZpQR7XxOpAai2x7YtfHVEN8m4VX9EAClnuErNp5%2FVdSQn9wIyVKx1H&bt_ts=1623075168091

Also, in more of a role the dice move, they mention Michael Chavis as a potential low tier trade chip for Boston (speculating they really  are buying anything big because of CBT issues).  Fallen a bit from grace, but to me he seems like he could be a Dan Uggla-type at 2d who could be available basically for bench depth, maybe a Castro.

If Nolan Gorman could be had from the Cards for Scherzer, that sounds intriguing.

Offline UMDNats

Harrison needs to get hot around July and form a Hudson/Harrison package to Oakland for some prospects. Easy!

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
If Garcia keeps doing what he's doing in Rochester, Trea Turner will be on the clock.

Offline Natsinpwc

If Garcia keeps doing what he's doing in Rochester, Trea Turner will be on the clock.
I’m sure Rizzo would be willing to make a trade. But the Lerners will never allow it.  They will hold out hope for Turner to take deferred money.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

MLB.com article on "one" potential trade candidate on each team.  This sounds like a spot  for Hudson or maybe Hand.

https://www.mlb.com/news/one-trade-chip-for-every-mlb-team-in-2021?partnerId=zh-20210607-419436-MLB-1-A&qid=1026&utm_id=zh-20210607-419436-MLB-1-A&bt_ee=K539cF8lfJZpQR7XxOpAai2x7YtfHVEN8m4VX9EAClnuErNp5%2FVdSQn9wIyVKx1H&bt_ts=1623075168091

Also, in more of a role the dice move, they mention Michael Chavis as a potential low tier trade chip for Boston (speculating they really  are buying anything big because of CBT issues).  Fallen a bit from grace, but to me he seems like he could be a Dan Uggla-type at 2d who could be available basically for bench depth, maybe a Castro.

If Nolan Gorman could be had from the Cards for Scherzer, that sounds intriguing.

No on those A's prospects. Barrera is Andrew Stevenson.  Deichmann is a bat-only prospect and he's 26, so if Oakland thinks he can hit, why is he not already filling their giant hole in RF?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
The athletics can have hand and Hudson for a treinen type and a luzardo type

Online Slateman

No on those A's prospects. Barrera is Andrew Stevenson.  Deichmann is a bat-only prospect and he's 26, so if Oakland thinks he can hit, why is he not already filling their giant hole in RF?

Deichmann cant play RF. Id take him for Hudson and Hand though. Could be moved to first base. Or DH.

His later age is due some nagging injuries out of college, and then missing the 2020 season.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Deichmann cant play RF. Id take him for Hudson and Hand though. Could be moved to first base. Or DH.

His later age is due some nagging injuries out of college, and then missing the 2020 season.
LF?  not even Schwarber caliber?

Online Slateman

LF?  not even Schwarber caliber?
He's probably Schwarber like in LF. But with the DH coming to the NL in the near future, theres no excuse to play poor defenders.