Author Topic: 2021 Trade Discussions/Rumors/Deadline - buy or sell  (Read 34505 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
So here we are. There's a blow it up thread here: https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=39261.0

No rumors yet, but I think the Nats are in a unique situation. They're three games back, the hitting is starting to come around, and Stras is coming back.

Furthemore, Ynoa just went on the IL with a broken hand. Half the Mets OD roster is on the IL. The Phillies are the only real threat in the NL East for the next month or so.

The Nats are a good to great bat from winning the division. I dont think they can get in on a wild card spot. I also think it would he a huge gamble to bet on the rotation and Soto and Turnet staying healthy.

But Kris Bryant playing third and hitting behind Soto and Turner would make this team contenders.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Bryant is the obvious target.  I assume ChC will insist on one of Rutledge or Cavalli in a package. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
if you put Bryant at 3rd, that means moving Castro to 2nd, Harrison to the bench, and DFA's Mercer, right?

Bryant: .303   .396   .636
Harrison: .298   .381   .433

Doesn't seem like Bryant would be all that much of an improvement for what we'd have to trade to get him.

Offline Natsinpwc

if you put Bryant at 3rd, that means moving Castro to 2nd, Harrison to the bench, and DFA's Mercer, right?

Bryant: .303   .396   .636
Harrison: .298   .381   .433

Doesn't seem like Bryant would be all that much of an improvement for what we'd have to trade to get him.
200 slugging points is a lot.  Plus do we really think Harrison can keep up the production in a full time role?

Offline imref

200 slugging points is a lot.  Plus do we really think Harrison can keep up the production in a full time role?

probably not, but Bryant is a bit above career averages as well.  Bryant would be an improvement, but as a short-term rental at a cost of Cavelli?  I'm not sure it's worth it.  Maybe if we get him to agree to sign an extension, and we can get him for say Cronin, Rutledge, and Kieboom?

Offline Slateman

Bryant is the obvious target.  I assume ChC will insist on one of Rutledge or Cavalli in a package. 
Do it. The Nats dont develop pitching so it doesnt matter.

Offline Slateman

We do not. And thats play.  Ideally, you would use Harrison as originally intended and then give him some starts in LF against LHP.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
I’d rather keep cavalli.  Henry could also easily end up in that conversation around the deadline if he looks starterish

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Do it. The Nats dont develop pitching so it doesnt matter.
This isn’t an unfair point.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
2021 is like 2019 - the Nats relievers are not helping the team

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Lock this thread

Offline Slateman

Dont know why this is the buyers thread but mods gonna mod

Anyway, the division is in shambles. Rizzo needs to sell out for another run

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace

Division is in shambles and we’re the shambliest

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

:lol:  Read your opening post. Just following your lead. 

Offline Slateman

:lol:  Read your opening post. Just following your lead. 
Read the title. You're a lawyer, you're supposed to be able to do that

Offline Slateman

Division is in shambles and we’re the shambliest
We're not. We're Bryant away from winning it

Offline imref

Chicago is 2.5 back, they are probably going to be buyers as well.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace

Well we’re in last so aren’t the teams ahead of us < Bryant away from winning it?

We wouldn’t be the only no east team adding in this scenario.  We would need to out add the other teams.  And they have more to offer

Offline Slateman

Well we’re in last so aren’t the teams ahead of us < Bryant away from winning it?

We wouldn’t be the only no east team adding in this scenario.  We would need to out add the other teams.  And they have more to offer
Then out add them. Its not hard. They wanted Cavali or Rutledge to start the season. Do it now, start scoring runs, start piling up wins

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Read the title. You're a lawyer, you're supposed to be able to do that
:roll:

I don't have a stake here. If you want this general, ok.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Sell sell sell! 

Offline Duke of Earl

Schwarber and Bell are playing way below expectations and it's not unreasonable to expect improvement. With both playing at their level of expectation, this is a winning lineup. No moves necessary.  Castro is playing great third base I'd hate to see that talent wasted at second, and I wouldn't want Harrison out of the lineup.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
TBH. at this point, I'm not sure you can say Schwarber is playing below expectations.  He's up to .221 / .321 / .443.  For his career he's .229 / .325 / .475.  This is a bounce back to career averages after a down year.  He should get his 25-30 HRs.  The outlier with him is 2019, his  38 HR year.

Offline GataNats

Schwarber and Bell are playing way below expectations and it's not unreasonable to expect improvement. With both playing at their level of expectation, this is a winning lineup. No moves necessary.  Castro is playing great third base I'd hate to see that talent wasted at second, and I wouldn't want Harrison out of the lineup.

Castro is playing great?   News to me.   Zero power, doesn’t get on base