Author Topic: 2021 Trade Discussions/Rumors/Deadline - buy or sell  (Read 35877 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
If we hit the point where Sam Clay tries to strangle Juan Soto in the dugout, then we'll be at that level.

I'd imagine Soto would be laughing through the whole incident.

Offline imref

Strasburg TOS surgery

Turner covid + team outbreak

Swept by the Orioles

Scherzer trade rumors

Everyone except Soto is available

Bryce Harper inside the park homerun against us

walked off in back-to-back games too.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Seeing as this is likely the end of the road for Max, is it feasible to say that his Nats contract is the absolute best big money free agent contract ever? Contracts like his usually at the very least don’t end well and they often don’t start well either, but he was a top tier ace who sealed his HoF case over the entire length of the deal. Who else has even come close to that level of excellence on a massive free agent deal like that? 

Offline UMDNats

randy johnson signed with arizona and then won 4 straight cy youngs, which is just hilarious

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Seeing as this is likely the end of the road for Max, is it feasible to say that his Nats contract is the absolute best big money free agent contract ever? Contracts like his usually at the very least don’t end well and they often don’t start well either, but he was a top tier ace who sealed his HoF case over the entire length of the deal. Who else has even come close to that level of excellence on a massive free agent deal like that? 
I'm pretty sure, yes. I guess it would depend on how you classify "big money."

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-best-free-agent-signings

I think there is a pretty compelling argument for Barry Bonds and Randy Johnson.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
It’s up there. Maddox to the Braves was pretty darn good also.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan

It's definitely in the discussion, but I'd go with Manny Ramirez over this one.  PEDs or not, it's hard to think of a signing that completely reversed the fortunes of an MLB franchise more than that one.

Also, the big Sabathia/Teixeira contracts the Yanks' handed out before the '09 season immediately led to their only World Series since 2000.  If that World Series win doesn't happen, they're staring down two decades of unprecedented futility as a franchise.

Offline imref

MLB did the math prior to the start of the 2021 season, concluding that Max's deal was the 3rd best ever (behind Randy Johnson and Greg Maddux) but if he had a strong year this year, he'd move to the top of the list:  https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-best-free-agent-signings

Offline catocony

It's been a great deal, well worth the money. 

I don't think Corbin's for Stras's current deals will make the top ten list. 

Offline NatsLSU

Well the Braves didn’t get anything for Maddux when he went back to the Cubs. If we can get a nice haul for Scherzer then I think you can definitely argue he is the best free agent signing of all time.

Offline imref

Gallo to the Yankees

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Like turner, Gallo is also controlled through next year.  Will be interesting to see what Gallo went for because turner will be worth significantly more

Offline imref

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
BORING

Offline catocony

Jerry
  That's Jerry Callo, not Jerry Gallo.  Jerry Gallo is dead.

Offline imref

That's Jerry Callo, not Jerry Gallo.  Jerry Gallo is dead.

:clap: :clap:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Offline Monarch

Like turner, Gallo is also controlled through next year.  Will be interesting to see what Gallo went for because turner will be worth significantly more

According to Levi Weaver of The Athletic, Joey Gallo is being traded to the Yankees.
It seemed like a trade was imminent after Gallo was a healthy scratch from tonight's lineup. The power-hitting outfielder has been a player of interest for many teams and it now appears he is headed to the Bronx, who have been searching for a left-handed power bat. Gallo is batting .223/.379/.490 this season with 25 home runs and has more long balls than all of the Yankees left-handed hitters combined in 2021. The return for Texas will reportedly be a haul of prospects that includes Ezequiel Duran, Josh Smith, Glenn Otto, and Trevor Hauver. Ranger reliever Joely Rodriguez would be heading to New York with Gallo.

SOURCE: Jeff Passan on Twitter
Jul 28, 2021, 8:03 PM ET

Offline imref

The Rangers are paying most of Gallo's remaining salary per Feinsand, he's owed about $2.2 million

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
When I hear Joe Gallo, I feel like telling him, "Avoid Umberto's Clam House." 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbertos_Clam_House

Offline UMDNats

Everyone out here making moves and RUSSO doing nothing

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Everyone out here making moves and RUSSO doing nothing
Can he? I dont think he can do anything until the Covid situation is fully flushed out.

Thanks, Trea

Offline imref

Max starting the early game per Davey

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Got to catch that 8 o'clock flight to California
Max starting the early game per Davey