Author Topic: 2021 Trade Discussions/Rumors/Deadline - buy or sell  (Read 35415 times)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Max has zero value if you don’t value ace starting pitchers with proven track records of dominance and winning

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
Maybe it's just me, but I'm surprised that the extension talks with Trea are in difficulty. He comes across as being much more pro-Nats than Soto - he's just waiting for the big pay-check, wherever it's from.

The rebuild had to start sometime...

Online Five Banners

Maybe it's just me, but I'm surprised that the extension talks with Trea are in difficulty. He comes across as being much more pro-Nats than Soto - he's just waiting for the big pay-check, wherever it's from.

The rebuild had to start sometime...

I don’t know that their reported committee-like structure has ever been one that would move in a timely enough manner to get enough extensions done. This one wouldn’t even involve Boras, yet here we are. They’ve needed experienced and proven team presidents worth their salt for quite a while

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Until proven otherwise, I would assume the Lerners are meddling in the same way they meddled with the Harper negotiation.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Max has zero value if you don’t value ace starting pitchers with proven track records of dominance and winning
what Slate meant is he's not any value to this team once his contract runs out. Literally, the same value as Walter Johnson and Jordan Zimmermann as far as the team we field

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I don’t know that their reported committee-like structure has ever been one that would move in a timely enough manner to get enough extensions done. This one wouldn’t even involve Boras, yet here we are. They’ve needed experienced and proven team presidents worth their salt for quite a while
I honestly had hope that they could have gotten Trea and Max done this Spring. Max's CBT hit could have been lowered through an extension for a couple years, and the extra cash could have gone to Turner 2 years ahead of FA
 But yes, I agree the only extensions that get done are emotional ones and not strategic

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
As long as we stop being the 'Nationals Care Home for Veteran MLB Players' then I'll be happy. I'd accept some losing seasons if the result is a young side that can compete for many seasons to come.

We don't want to end up as MLB's version of Hawthorn... (Aussie Rules, and an object lesson in how not to rebuild a team and succession plan management).

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Re: The Face is Back for 2021
« Reply #582: July 25, 2021, 02:35:44 PM »

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Re: The Face is Back for 2021
« Reply #583: July 25, 2021, 02:44:42 PM »
Hopefully this gets him going, we know how streaky he can be. Now tied with Paul O'Neil for 182nd all-time.

It doesn't really matter. This team is done

Offline tomwvr

Just saw a ESPN report that multiple teams are approaching the Nats for hand and Hudson
If we can’t get trey to sign an extension trade him by the deadline.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #585: July 25, 2021, 03:56:15 PM »
The only thing that is done is the mind of fans like you who complain constantly

It doesn't really matter. This team is done

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #586: July 25, 2021, 04:14:50 PM »
The only thing that is done is the mind of fans like you who complain constantly
Oh c'mon MG.  No one thinks this team has a chance.  Selling off guys on one year deals is the way to go. 

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #587: July 25, 2021, 04:23:33 PM »
Would you say the same if Kyle (the Hr leader for Nats) was playing ?  The team doesn't seem far from being very good.  Sell offs are for when the future is over as well as the present

Oh c'mon MG.  No one thinks this team has a chance.  Selling off guys on one year deals is the way to go. 

Offline spidernat

« Reply #588: July 25, 2021, 04:26:54 PM »
:lmao:

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
 Sell.

Offline spidernat

SSS president calling to sell :hysterical:

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Sell for sure. I was on the fence but this weekend convinced me.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Hudson reminds me of Matt Barnes right now.  Despite today, Hand would be a fine set up guy if not an adequate clos er.  Again, the simulators give them trivial value. I find that hard to believe

Online Slateman

Hudson reminds me of Matt Barnes right now.  Despite today, Hand would be a fine set up guy if not an adequate clos er.  Again, the simulators give them trivial value. I find that hard to believe
Given how they've pitched recently, it seems pretty fair

Offline hotshot

Hand's a setup guy now. Forget closing. If there was a stat on giving up hard hit shots that were caught for outs, he'd be a league leader. In other words, he's been pretty lucky to have had what success he's had this season. 

Online Slateman

Hand's a setup guy now. Forget closing. If there was a stat on giving up hard hit shots that were caught for outs, he'd be a league leader. In other words, he's been pretty lucky to have had what success he's had this season. 
Hes not even in the top 10 percentile for hard hit :roll:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Given how they've pitched recently, it seems pretty fair
Hand, OK, but Hudson?  Since his return from the IL this month, in 7.1 inings, he's faced 28 hitters, allowed 6 hits, no walks, struck out 12, and allowed 1 HR and 1 earned run (2 total).  That's very, very good.  Throwing an easy 97-98.  What contender could not use that in the 8th?

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Fans here might be overly optimistic about what the Nats could get by trading off relief pitchers this week. As a check, take a look at the players the Nats traded to get Melancon, Doolittle-Madsen, Brandon Kintzler, and Roenis Elias / Hunter Strickland. Hand or Hudson might return more like the Doolittle-for-Treinen deal, but, best I remember, Treinen was a failed starter who seemed to collapse when he had to pitch under pressure, making him a failed closer.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #598: July 25, 2021, 06:31:14 PM »

I doubt the Nats will get much for all of them, except maybe for Max. Surely not enough to make them contenders next year. Not enough to restock the minors. Look who the Nats traded to get players at trade deadlines.

Offline Natsinpwc

Fans here might be overly optimistic about what the Nats could get by trading off relief pitchers this week. As a check, take a look at the players the Nats traded to get Melancon, Doolittle-Madsen, Brandon Kintzler, and Roenis Elias / Hunter Strickland. Hand or Hudson might return more like the Doolittle-for-Treinen deal, but, best I remember, Treinen was a failed starter who seemed to collapse when he had to pitch under pressure, making him a failed closer.
They traded Pivetta for Papelbon. Pivetta has been a MLB starter the past 4 years. Not a very good one until this year.  This is why you pay Rizzo and his MLB and MILB scouts. To find the diamonds in the rough. He threw low 90s in the Nats system and that went up to the mid 90s when he left.  And don’t forget we obtained Wilson Ramos for Matt Capps. An every day catcher for a couple of years. A good deal.