Author Topic: Nationals vs Phillies, Game 2  (Read 3244 times)

Offline hohoho

Re: Nationals vs Phillies, Game 2
« Reply #200: May 12, 2021, 10:57:59 PM »
It's a little more complicated than that for me.  Hand's had a few rough patches in his career.  He gets back on track eventually.  But eventually it causes clubhouse grumbling when the same dude is flushing leads down the toilet game after game.  It's really not helping that he's not getting any easy chances.  It's all 1-run leads.  Most closers get a gimme or two mixed in there and it helps.

I don't know where the Nats are on that right now, but it seems to me that giving Hand an 8th or a non-save chance his next time out would be good for the dude and the team.  They need him to get back on track to be the closer the rest of the way, and it's about getting to that point.
No they should not give up on him, just give a breather.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #201: May 12, 2021, 11:00:44 PM »
I particularly like the last two where they fluke won their division.
In this day and age, there are no dynasties in baseball. So it is all flukeish.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #202: May 12, 2021, 11:00:52 PM »
It's a little more complicated than that for me.  Hand's had a few rough patches in his career.  He gets back on track eventually.  But eventually it causes clubhouse grumbling when the same dude is flushing leads down the toilet game after game.  It's really not helping that he's not getting any easy chances.  It's all 1-run leads.  Most closers get a gimme or two mixed in there and it helps.

I don't know where the Nats are on that right now, but it seems to me that giving Hand an 8th or a non-save chance his next time out would be good for the dude and the team.  They need him to get back on track to be the closer the rest of the way, and it's about getting to that point. 
If there are players grumbling about losing games, Dave should tell them to man the freak up and get some hits.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #203: May 12, 2021, 11:01:32 PM »
No they should not give up on him, just give a breather.

Yeah.  I guess part of the point here is that he's had some rough outings recently, but everyone forgets that solo tonight pretty quickly if the offense hands him more of a cushion.  Nobody's perfect.  The dude did have a zero ERA a week ago, as shaky as some of his saves looked.   But right now the margins are pretty thin and he's not getting it done. 

Online NatNasty

« Reply #204: May 12, 2021, 11:11:59 PM »
I'm as much to blame as anyone.  Nats are 1-7 since I last grilled a steak.  Time to step it up, get my ass to the butcher shop, and turn this crap around.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #205: May 12, 2021, 11:22:28 PM »
I'm as much to blame as anyone.  Nats are 1-7 since I last grilled a steak.  Time to step it up, get my ass to the butcher shop, and turn this crap around.

Do it!! :whip: :whip: