Author Topic: Justin Maxwell  (Read 2899 times)

Offline machpost

Re: Justin Maxwell
« Reply #50: May 14, 2021, 02:55:52 PM »
I mean, if he's not running a mission to rescue people from human trafficking, sure.
Though he could probably do games remotely from the Bangkok hostel he's staying in, if the Wi-Fi is reliable enough.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #51: May 14, 2021, 03:03:28 PM »
Ali-level post.
 :clap:
Though he could probably do games remotely from the Bangkok hostel he's staying in, if the Wi-Fi is reliable enough.

Offline catocony

« Reply #52: May 14, 2021, 09:31:06 PM »
As Dan said himself, he hasn't played organized baseball beyond Little League, so while he's a fan of the game, he has no actual experience playing.  For a color analyst, that is the real reason to have them around at all. 

I assume they're waiting on legal to hammer out a deal with FP to get rid of him, and once that's done, maybe they can find someone.  It is tough mid-season though, and with them axing so many in the off-season, there isn't a Bo Porter or Ray Knight (Ray was horrible when he filled in for Dibble and FP) that they can just plug into the spot. 

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #53: May 15, 2021, 01:46:09 AM »
As Dan said himself, he hasn't played organized baseball beyond Little League, so while he's a fan of the game, he has no actual experience playing.  For a color analyst, that is the real reason to have them around at all. 

I assume they're waiting on legal to hammer out a deal with FP to get rid of him, and once that's done, maybe they can find someone.  It is tough mid-season though, and with them axing so many in the off-season, there isn't a Bo Porter or Ray Knight (Ray was horrible when he filled in for Dibble and FP) that they can just plug into the spot.
Sounds reasonable.  I think it's possible that JMax is offered the job on a permanent basis (God help us).  Dental school would be shelved in favor of an easy gig. 

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #54: May 15, 2021, 06:22:36 AM »
What about Gio? His wife and kids are in the area and he was a super likeable personality when he was here. He also just retired.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #55: May 15, 2021, 09:48:54 AM »
Hiring Maxwell wasn't a very smart move though we don't know what alternatives were available.  No matter what, was NOT an affirmative action move.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #56: May 15, 2021, 09:52:50 AM »
What about Gio? His wife and kids are in the area and he was a super likeable personality when he was here. He also just retired.
I want to hear him say the pitcher needs to throw strikes.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #57: May 15, 2021, 09:54:08 AM »
I want to hear him say the pitcher needs to throw strikes.

:hysterical:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #58: May 15, 2021, 09:56:48 AM »
Hiring Maxwell wasn't a very smart move though we don't know what alternatives were available.  No matter what, was NOT an affirmative action move.
We have no idea if there were any alternatives on short notice. If the move Kolko to the color then they need a replacement for him on pre and post game. I have a halts time criticizing MASN for this although it is a clown show. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #59: May 15, 2021, 11:52:24 AM »
perfect guy.  HE has a bit of distance from the players now because, other than Turner, Stras, and Scherzer, I don't think any of them overlapped with his time here. He knows the current vets as opponents so he probably has stories like "when I used to face Avila, he had an incredible batting eye.  Never chases a bad pitch."  Maybe he actually wants to have a summer with the kids and wife for the first time in his life on a normal schedule instead of one driven by baseball.  He should not need the money because he had a great contract while he was here, so it would all be "what something fun to do now?" basis.  I had not realized his family was still based here.  For a long time, they lived in Crystal City, but I'm surprised they settled here rather than in South Florida. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #60: May 16, 2021, 11:19:18 AM »
Joey Eischen

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61: May 16, 2021, 07:47:26 PM »
Maxwell was, for all practical purposes, pulled off the street to call major league games. Given that, I think he’s done pretty well.

For people that mention Kolko as a potential color commentator, are there any other color guys who haven’t played?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #62: May 16, 2021, 07:50:12 PM »
I like him. He's very straight forward. the "Oh my God..." the other night made me laugh.

They need to tune his mic though.

Of course, it doesn't really matter: he's in dental school.

Maxwell was, for all practical purposes, pulled off the street to call major league games. Given that, I think he’s done pretty well.

For people that mention Kolko as a potential color commentator, are there any other color guys who haven’t played?

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #63: May 16, 2021, 08:10:36 PM »

I don't think so.  I llike Kolko in his current role, and seemed to have a lot of potential as the next PBP guy, but didn't like him at all filling in as color.   I don't hate Maxwell.   Maybe give him a Red Bull or two though.  He could grow into it.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64: May 16, 2021, 08:39:31 PM »
I don't think so.  I llike Kolko in his current role, and seemed to have a lot of potential as the next PBP guy, but didn't like him at all filling in as color.   I don't hate Maxwell.   Maybe give him a Red Bull or two though.  He could grow into it.
he's getting better.  They do seem to have better sound on his mic, and his analysis flows better

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #65: May 16, 2021, 09:24:34 PM »
J-Max improved a lot in today's game. Genuine rapport with BC.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #66: May 16, 2021, 11:13:44 PM »
For a long time, they lived in Crystal City, but I'm surprised they settled here rather than in South Florida.

His wife is some big wig banker lady based out of this area so she stayed around here even when he was in Chicago. One of my former bed buddies is besties with her so I got the whole scoop.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #67: May 17, 2021, 06:32:23 AM »
Maxwell is improving.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68: May 17, 2021, 09:20:47 AM »

His wife is some big wig banker lady based out of this area so she stayed around here even when he was in Chicago. One of my former bed buddies is besties with her so I got the whole scoop.
they used to be regulars at Cafe Italia, now Federico's.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #69: May 17, 2021, 02:08:43 PM »
Frankly Dan Kolko doing PBP on TV is kind of a joke, too. A sideline reporter =/= PBP guy, pretty embarrassing for a major regional sports network to just throw a rookie in there with (as far as I know) no minor league baseball or pro sports PBP. Dan did fine and obviously has TV experience but we have Dave who can do TV and instead they just say let's save a dollar and have our sideline reporter do it.

Total joke network. YES Network's third-string PBP guy is Ruocco who is a major ESPN broadcaster. We deserve so much better but the Angelos family wants to bring us down to the Orioles level because they know they will never achieve anything on the field anytime soon.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70: May 17, 2021, 03:17:10 PM »
Isn't it kinda that same with whoever covers the Wizards? The play by play guy is fine, but nobody I have ever heard of, Drew Gooden is not good, however.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #71: May 17, 2021, 04:10:00 PM »
Isn't it kinda that same with whoever covers the Wizards? The play by play guy is fine, but nobody I have ever heard of, Drew Gooden is not good, however.

i don't mind Gooden, he usually offers some insightful comments and can be quite critical of the team when it plays poorly.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #72: May 17, 2021, 04:13:44 PM »
i don't mind Gooden, he usually offers some insightful comments and can be quite critical of the team when it plays poorly.
Drew needs some work.  Stumbles over his words and sometimes makes up other ones.  However he has a good sense of humor and makes me laugh.  The play by play guy is OK.  Still miss Buck. 

Offline hotshot

« Reply #73: May 17, 2021, 05:08:53 PM »
Frankly Dan Kolko doing PBP on TV is kind of a joke, too. A sideline reporter =/= PBP guy, pretty embarrassing for a major regional sports network to just throw a rookie in there with (as far as I know) no minor league baseball or pro sports PBP. Dan did fine and obviously has TV experience but we have Dave who can do TV and instead they just say let's save a dollar and have our sideline reporter do it.

Total joke network. YES Network's third-string PBP guy is Ruocco who is a major ESPN broadcaster. We deserve so much better but the Angelos family wants to bring us down to the Orioles level because they know they will never achieve anything on the field anytime soon.
I'm a long-time Baltimore detractor but ... Angelos had Jon Miller and Gary Thorne doing O's games -- two well-respected broadcasters at a level the Nats have not yet even sniffed.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #74: May 17, 2021, 05:17:07 PM »
I'm a long-time Baltimore detractor but ... Angelos had Jon Miller and Gary Thorne doing O's games -- two well-respected broadcasters at a level the Nats have not yet even sniffed.

And both were fired or let go.

MASN is a clown network, has been since day one, and at this point the Angelos family is simply trying to run it into the ground.