Author Topic: Sexual assault allegations against FP  (Read 6950 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Sexual assault allegations against FP
« Reply #125: June 07, 2021, 12:10:42 PM »
I care.

I would much rather listen to FP than Maxwell. But then again, I liked :dibbs:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #126: June 07, 2021, 12:37:47 PM »
I care.

Do you care enough to cancel your cable subscription, change your Nats spending habits or watch fewer games? I like FP and prefer him to the crap broadcasts we have now but at the end of the day it's such a minor thing for us. It sucks he seems to be getting screwed by the Nats and MASN but he's not the first or last person to get screwed by their employer.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #127: June 07, 2021, 12:40:20 PM »
Do you care enough to cancel your cable subscription, change your Nats spending habits or watch fewer games? I like FP and prefer him to the crap broadcasts we have now but at the end of the day it's such a minor thing for us. It sucks he seems to be getting screwed by the Nats and MASN but he's not the first or last person to get screwed by their employer.

so does FP have a sexual harassment case against MASN? :couch:

Offline rileyn

« Reply #128: June 07, 2021, 03:07:56 PM »
Of course not, but that's not the point.  I'm not promoting FP as the broadcaster of the year, but my God, at least he is of professional quality.  The operation in place now is JV.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #129: June 07, 2021, 05:58:08 PM »
To me, the Big Picture is due process.  FP is being punished for an offense for which there is absolutely no evidence.  Based on an anonymous post that was subsequently deleted? Seriously?

The probability that he committed sexual assault is equal to the probability that the girl hit on him, was rejected, and she retaliated for revenge.  And I'm not saying I think that's what happened, just that I think the two possibilities are equally likely; personally I don't think either happened. 

Sexual assault charges must be taken seriously.  But fake charges have to be taken equally seriously. When a man is convicted of a sexual offense and is later found to have been innocent, it weakens the case against other men similarly charged, possibly when the offense did occur. 

It's about due process.  And MASN/MLB/Nationals -- whoever is responsible for his removal -- has denied him due process.   And those who say, what's the difference, he should have been removed long ago because he stinks -- you're missing the big picture.  If he should be  or  should have been removed, then cite that as the reason, not some stupid bullcrap that  he MIGHT have committed sexual assault.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #130: June 07, 2021, 07:51:37 PM »
To me, the Big Picture is due process.  FP is being punished for an offense for which there is absolutely no evidence.  Based on an anonymous post that was subsequently deleted? Seriously?

The probability that he committed sexual assault is equal to the probability that the girl hit on him, was rejected, and she retaliated for revenge.  And I'm not saying I think that's what happened, just that I think the two possibilities are equally likely; personally I don't think either happened. 

Sexual assault charges must be taken seriously.  But fake charges have to be taken equally seriously. When a man is convicted of a sexual offense and is later found to have been innocent, it weakens the case against other men similarly charged, possibly when the offense did occur. 

It's about due process.  And MASN/MLB/Nationals -- whoever is responsible for his removal -- has denied him due process.   And those who say, what's the difference, he should have been removed long ago because he stinks -- you're missing the big picture.  If he should be  or  should have been removed, then cite that as the reason, not some stupid bullcrap that  he MIGHT have committed sexual assault.

Well said.   Maybe the due process gets in right in the final decision, but it seems the damage is already done by taking him off the air.   

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #131: June 07, 2021, 07:53:37 PM »
We know FP is off the air but have not seen anything about whether or not he is still getting paid. 

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #132: June 07, 2021, 08:22:12 PM »
Now that is a great standard. So why are you posting on this?

Way to single out one part of the conversation to fit your opinion.

The kids table is over there. Please grab a seat.

Adults are talking.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #133: June 07, 2021, 08:54:16 PM »

The Nationals are lazy, cheap, and by many accounts, run terribly. Why is this surprising? The Nats clearly wanted a reason to dig MASN and MASN wants a reason to dig the Nats, so here we are. A pissing match between billionaires and their crappy TV network is why he is getting fired. It's crappy but it is what happens when bad actors pull the levers, and that is what we have here.

This doesn't even have anything to do with him getting accused anymore. There's one anonymous instagram account. If it was about that he'd be back because no one can even corroborate the story. It's about the Nats and MASN being jerks and we, and FP, suffer.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #134: June 07, 2021, 09:44:51 PM »

Way to single out one part of the conversation to fit your opinion.

The kids table is over there. Please grab a seat.

Adults are talking.
Pitiful. I bet you are the kind of “adult” that wears a team jersey to games.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #135: June 07, 2021, 10:24:28 PM »
Duke - that's a good analogy.  I hope you're right in terms of minimal actual assault.  And the idea of false claims rings my bell just as much as yours.  But I'm sure we all would like to know more than to speculate.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #136: June 07, 2021, 10:25:15 PM »
Hey now.  I wear my Nats onesie

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #137: June 07, 2021, 10:28:51 PM »
Hohoho - I know Copecwby20.  Copecwby20 is a friend of mine.  He's not the type to blanketly support management at all cost.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #138: June 08, 2021, 08:50:36 AM »
Let's keep the personal shots between members to as few as possible.  With such a target rich environment in this thread (FP, accuser, Lerners, Angelos) that should not be hard. 

In that spirit, I'll offer this about FP:  knowing his rep, is anyone surprised that he'd be hit with an assault accusation at some point?   Would anyone be surprised if the Nats or MLB had one of those "we'll keep you on, but if so much as one accusation comes out, your being put on hold for as long as it takes to investigate it" warnings?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #139: June 08, 2021, 09:18:36 AM »
Let's keep the personal shots between members to as few as possible.  With such a target rich environment in this thread (FP, accuser, Lerners, Angelos) that should not be hard. 

In that spirit, I'll offer this about FP:  knowing his rep, is anyone surprised that he'd be hit with an assault accusation at some point?   Would anyone be surprised if the Nats or MLB had one of those "we'll keep you on, but if so much as one accusation comes out, your being put on hold for as long as it takes to investigate it" warnings?
Yea. Due process has no application. It’s whatever MASN and the Nats think as his employers. He no doubt has some kind of conduct clause in his contract.  I am going to assume he is suspended with pay until they complete whatever it is they are doing. 

Offline machpost

« Reply #140: June 08, 2021, 10:05:58 AM »
Yea. Due process has no application. It’s whatever MASN and the Nats think as his employers. He no doubt has some kind of conduct clause in his contract.  I am going to assume he is suspended with pay until they complete whatever it is they are doing. 

Exactly. He is an at-will employee; MASN is under no obligation to offer him employment. They can suspend or fire him for any number of reasons.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #141: June 08, 2021, 11:12:54 AM »
Exactly. He is an at-will employee; MASN is under no obligation to offer him employment. They can suspend or fire him for any number of reasons.
The interesting twist is that MASN appears to have cleared him to work and went out of their way to keep the unsubstantiated allegations quiet, while the Nats blocked him from entering the park.  It would be a messy employment case if there was a case to be had.   

Should FP's reputation come into play here?   It seems the consensus on his reputation is that he is a womanizer, but seems to play the game like a pro, and takes no for an answer and moves on.   It's not my thing, but I don't feel the need to judge his lifestyle either.   It seems pretty similar to slut shaming a rape victim.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #142: June 08, 2021, 11:18:14 AM »

I wear a lot of things to games. Mostly a smile though. Actually, I wear a smile everywhere because I'm not a miserable little crap. You should try it.

(That's it JCA, I swear)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #143: June 08, 2021, 11:18:26 AM »
The Nats don't have to defer to MASN's decision. Maybe they didn't just to mess with MASN. No one will ever know

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #144: June 08, 2021, 11:20:05 AM »
Maybe MASN could have FP work the Orioles games.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #145: June 08, 2021, 11:20:56 AM »
The interesting twist is that MASN appears to have cleared him to work and went out of their way to keep the unsubstantiated allegations quiet, while the Nats blocked him from entering the park.  It would be a messy employment case if there was a case to be had.   

Should FP's reputation come into play here?   It seems the consensus on his reputation is that he is a womanizer, but seems to play the game like a pro, and takes no for an answer and moves on.   It's not my thing, but I don't feel the need to judge his lifestyle either.   It seems pretty similar to slut shaming a rape victim.

If trying to get laid as often as possible with as many people as you could while doing so by the rules was illegal, I'd have been in jail a long time ago.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #146: June 08, 2021, 11:27:57 AM »
Me too back in the day, but I'm not the broadcast face for what is surely one of the highest, if not the highest, % women STH markets in baseball, many of whom seem to find him skeevy.  Not sure that there needs to be much more to it than that really. 

If trying to get laid as often as possible with as many people as you could while doing so by the rules was illegal, I'd have been in jail a long time ago.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #147: June 08, 2021, 12:40:07 PM »
Me too back in the day, but I'm not the broadcast face for what is surely one of the highest, if not the highest, % women STH markets in baseball, many of whom seem to find him skeevy.  Not sure that there needs to be much more to it than that really. 
That is crazy talk.  If that is the case, come out and make a statement that "we are terminating him because there are rumors that he is a womanizer and some women may find him skeevy."

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #148: June 08, 2021, 12:46:26 PM »
That is crazy talk.  If that is the case, come out and make a statement that "we are terminating him because there are rumors that he is a womanizer and some women may find him skeevy."

I watch most of every game since he's started, and I can't recall him ever making a remotely sexist or objectifying comment on air.   He also keeps that part of his life completely quiet on any of his social media accounts.   There are plenty of announcers who are way more skeevy than he is on air.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #149: June 08, 2021, 01:02:58 PM »
I watch most of every game since he's started, and I can't recall him ever making a remotely sexist or objectifying comment on air.   He also keeps that part of his life completely quiet on any of his social media accounts.   There are plenty of announcers who are way more skeevy than he is on air.
Larry Michael, for one. Saw him literally salivating once.
With FP, it is probably a PR problem, not a legal one, and he is not popular enough to overcome it. Quite expendable.