Author Topic: Sexual assault allegations against FP  (Read 6702 times)

Offline hohoho

Re: Sexual assault allegations against FP
« Reply #50: May 11, 2021, 11:25:25 AM »
Jerk or not, FP should be fired just because his homerism is so far fetched and dishonest, as he doesn’t just root for his team, he intentionally misrepresents what occurs on the field and insults the intelligence of his audience.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #51: May 11, 2021, 11:49:08 AM »
Jerk or not, FP should be fired just because his homerism is so far fetched and dishonest, as he doesn’t just root for his team, he intentionally misrepresents what occurs on the field and insults the intelligence of his audience.
FP is hardly alone among MLB broadcasters in that. Probably 98% do the same, to varying degrees.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #52: May 11, 2021, 12:03:06 PM »
FP is hardly alone among MLB broadcasters in that. Probably 98% do the same, to varying degrees.

That's a really high estimate.  I have MLB.tv, and - while I obviously don't watch all of every game - FP and Carpenter are each easily one of the 2 or 3 worst at their respective jobs.  Combined, they're the single worst crew out there, at least in my view. 

Same. I’ve met Bob in person and he was very gracious with this time and we had a good conversation. He’s an okay announcer and I have nothing against him but I feel there are better options out there. Not that MASN would seek them out though. Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for...

I would prefer silence to Carpenter.  I find his voice grating and virtually everything he says to be superfluous.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #53: May 11, 2021, 01:19:48 PM »
So it's pretty obvious that most people here dislike FP, which I get. People also love Charlie and Dave on the radio, and I agree with that as well. On the TV side, it seems like there's typically a play-by-play guy and an analyst. Do other teams have analysts on their radio broadcasts? Charlie and Dave are both play-by-play announcers as opposed to analysts and they switch off during games. As far as I know, neither of them is a former MLB player, a common trait among analysts. But they both offer a lot of insight and they definitely work well together. A perfect blend of knowledge and humor. I wonder how different it would be with either Charlie or Dave doing radio with someone like FP.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #54: May 11, 2021, 01:39:37 PM »
Ben Clemens from Fangraphs weighed in on the quality of the Nats broadcast teams and the FP situation yesterday in his chat:

2:34   
Ben Clemens: The Nats’ radio crew is excellent
2:34   
Ben Clemens: If you can get them as an overlay, I highly recommend it
2:35   
Ben Clemens: But yeah, the TV group, woof
2:35   
Ben Clemens: not my favorite

2:56   
Angry Nats Fan: The Nats announcers are good once you get used to them
2:57   
Ben Clemens: Eh, I don’ think it’s that. One of my best friends is a huge Nats fan, as is my mom, I’ve listened to a lot of Nats games. I don’t care for FP, and he may not even be there much longer, I just don’t find the TV broadcast to be an engaging listen personally
2:57   
Ben Clemens: whereas I love the radio guys
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/ben-clemens-fangraphs-chat-5-10-21/

Offline hotshot

« Reply #55: May 11, 2021, 02:41:45 PM »
That's a really high estimate.  I have MLB.tv, and - while I obviously don't watch all of every game - FP and Carpenter are each easily one of the 2 or 3 worst at their respective jobs.  Combined, they're the single worst crew out there, at least in my view. 

I would prefer silence to Carpenter.  I find his voice grating and virtually everything he says to be superfluous.
You're probably right. Maybe not, though, if I changed HoHoHo's wording to something like "always roots for the home team, puts the best possible spin on egregious lapses by the home team manager/player(s), and doesn't give any credit to the viewer's knowledge/intelligence."

This is not a new issue. I recall Red Barber - when he was the Dodgers broadcaster - was forbidden from even intimating that a rain cloud might be on the horizon (O'Malley fearing that might deter walk-up sales, even after the game was in progress). On the field gaffes always had to be explained away in a manner deflecting any home team shortcomings.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #56: May 11, 2021, 04:18:23 PM »

This is not a new issue. I recall Red Barber - when he was the Dodgers broadcaster - was forbidden from even intimating that a rain cloud might be on the horizon (O'Malley fearing that might deter walk-up sales, even after the game was in progress). On the field gaffes always had to be explained away in a manner deflecting any home team shortcomings.

That reminds me of re-watching game six of one of the Yankees - Dodgers World Series from the 50s  where the Dodgers were up three games to two and playing at Ebbetts field, and there were what looked to be quite a few empty seats. I seem to recall Mel Allen, who has doing the broadcast alternating with Barber, said the Dodgers wanted to put out the word that there were seats available for anyone watching at home who could get to the game.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #57: May 11, 2021, 04:58:18 PM »
That reminds me of re-watching game six of one of the Yankees - Dodgers World Series from the 50s  where the Dodgers were up three games to two and playing at Ebbetts field, and there were what looked to be quite a few empty seats. I seem to recall Mel Allen, who has doing the broadcast alternating with Barber, said the Dodgers wanted to put out the word that there were seats available for anyone watching at home who could get to the game.
You're right. I recall, as a kid in NY when Sunday doubleheaders were in vogue, announcers spent the first game touting just what you mention, i.e., "plenty of good seats for Game 2, come on out to the park."

Offline hohoho

« Reply #58: May 11, 2021, 07:12:43 PM »
There is a difference between rooting and insulting the fans’ intelligence with ludicrous explanations about what is transpiring on the field.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #59: May 11, 2021, 08:51:54 PM »
There is a difference between rooting and insulting the fans’ intelligence with ludicrous explanations about what is transpiring on the field.
That's his schtick.  But he is not the only one.  What do yo think we mean by homer?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #60: May 11, 2021, 09:18:12 PM »
I really disagree with this statement.  FP may not be perfect, but he has been a good announcer

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #61: May 11, 2021, 09:22:14 PM »
I have my issues with FP the announcer, but he absolutely deserves due diligence and a fair investigation into these claims.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #62: May 11, 2021, 09:34:08 PM »
I have my issues with FP the announcer, but he absolutely deserves due diligence and a fair investigation into these claims.
Definitely 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #63: May 17, 2021, 09:20:24 PM »
Sooooo...no more FP it seems like, such a shame if all they’re basing this on is some random Instagram posts

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #64: May 17, 2021, 09:21:23 PM »
Sooooo...no more FP it seems like, such a shame if all they’re basing this on is some random Instagram posts

Agreed...they should have based it upon my dislike for his "work."

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #65: May 17, 2021, 09:26:03 PM »
Agreed...they should have based it upon my dislike for his "work."
Right? I mean you tried how many times telling them he had to go, no respect VaRK! :lol:

Offline hotshot

« Reply #66: May 27, 2021, 01:57:48 PM »
So ... the latest on FP? Did i miss some news? Is he just going to "fade away."

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #67: May 27, 2021, 02:32:54 PM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #68: May 27, 2021, 02:50:10 PM »
my guess is that this is the type of investigation that'd be slow developing.  There's no film, no physical evidence, just a he said she said.  That's going to involve some interviews, and it's going to involve some effort to find 3d parties to whom one or the other talked.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #69: June 02, 2021, 03:13:56 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/06/02/f-p-santangelo-sexual-misconduct-investigation/

A long article without much new information.   Personal feelings about FP aside (I'm ok with him as a broadcaster), it doesn't sit right that this is all based on an anonymous instagrammer, and doesn't involve any workplace impropriety.   

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #70: June 02, 2021, 03:40:35 PM »
Can't help but feel like the MASN-Nats beef plays into all this too.

It seems like FP is getting a raw deal but when everyone in town knows you date around and have a rep for being creepy you won't get the benefit of the doubt.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #71: June 02, 2021, 03:50:47 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/06/02/f-p-santangelo-sexual-misconduct-investigation/

A long article without much new information.   Personal feelings about FP aside (I'm ok with him as a broadcaster), it doesn't sit right that this is all based on an anonymous instagrammer, and doesn't involve any workplace impropriety.   

Like all of us, I have no idea what happened...or didn't happen...so I'll just let the chips fall where they may, but I don't I don't think whether this happened in the workplace or not should have any bearing on it at all...

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #72: June 02, 2021, 04:51:46 PM »
Like all of us, I have no idea what happened...or didn't happen...so I'll just let the chips fall where they may, but I don't I don't think whether this happened in the workplace or not should have any bearing on it at all...

This article doesn't really sound like the team or MASN know a whole lot more than we do.   If it was an incident where he was inappropriate to someone at work, or if he's charged with a crime, then they have more of an obligation to take immediate action.   I don't think anyone should lose their job or be suspended over anonymous social media accusations about outside work activities that don't even really seem to accuse of him of doing anything criminal.   

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #73: June 02, 2021, 04:56:48 PM »
This article doesn't really sound like the team or MASN know a whole lot more than we do.   If it was an incident where he was inappropriate to someone at work, or if he's charged with a crime, then they have more of an obligation to take immediate action.   I don't think anyone should lose their job or be suspended over anonymous social media accusations about outside work activities that don't even really seem to accuse of him of doing anything criminal.   

IIRC, there's a MLB protocol that they are following.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #74: June 02, 2021, 05:03:10 PM »

Yeah...that article was a rehash of the little bit they have revealed over the past month...

This crap happens all the time lately...especially in high-profile positions.  Nobody has to like it...there's plenty going on in the world of late that I don't like...but it's the new now.  Adapt or die, as they say...