Author Topic: Sexual assault allegations against FP  (Read 6882 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Sexual assault allegations against FP
« Reply #25: May 09, 2021, 10:57:15 AM »
Yup. There are Twitter people that say he's kind of a dick at drinking holes after games. Chasing women. Drinking too much. They also say that if women show no interest, he immediately moves on.

jerkry? Maybe. Hard to say if it amounts to more than that.

Swinging dick bruh tool does not equal rapist or (sometimes) even a harasser.  It's not a stretch to imagine him doing such a thing, but anonymous stuff on the internet is, well, anonymous stuff.  Le sigh

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #26: May 09, 2021, 11:01:51 AM »
I can't find the posts anymore. I read them yesterday and the whole thing was sketchy. How does someone even post anonymously on Instagram and Twitter?I thought you had to have an account?

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #27: May 09, 2021, 11:08:42 AM »
Yup. There are Twitter people that say he's kind of a dick at drinking holes after games. Chasing women. Drinking too much. They also say that if women show no interest, he immediately moves on.

jerkry? Maybe. Hard to say if it amounts to more than that.

This. It’s inappropriate behavior for sure but, unless charges are filed, it’s not illegal.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #28: May 09, 2021, 11:30:50 AM »
I'm glad everyone seems to be on the same page (seriously):
1.  Santangelo is helping to perpetuate a stereotype of Italian American men (I know because all of my ancestors are from Italy).
2,  Most of us want him off the air, but not based on this allegation from one anonymous, non-vetted source.
3.  He is NOT a role model for youngsters, but that is not his job.
4.  "Carp" isn't permitted by his employer to say anything, otherwise he would have by now. 
5.  Dan Kolko is the luckiest SOB in the world.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #29: May 09, 2021, 11:38:51 AM »
Here is how things land for me. I hope the sexual assault allegations are untrue. That kind of stuff is reprehensible and should be taken very seriously.

With that said, lots of this seems a bit fishy. We have seen many very TRUE stories come out over the past few years and the Me Too movement has provided great strength to women who previously were worried, fearful, and uncomfortable coming out about their abuse. We have also seen some unfounded claims come out and be debunked. Some not so great people try to hitch their wagons to good causes and all it does is hurt a good cause overall.

Now here is probably what you weren't expecting. I think regardless of the outcome, FP should be let go because it's now public record that he has been a d-bag jerk to women and he seems to be a drinker. Maybe he isn't a drunk, but if I'm his employer, I've got enough evidence to say, you are out of a public facing job until you can prove that you've cleaned up your act.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #30: May 09, 2021, 11:41:37 AM »
How does someone even post anonymously on Instagram and Twitter?I thought you had to have an account?
Yeah you have to have an account.  I have an account.  With a fake name. Twitter has no idea who I am.  So that's how to post anonymously.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #31: May 09, 2021, 11:47:58 AM »
If this story continues to have legs, I suspect all three parties -- FP, the team, and MASN -- will come to the conclusion that it's in everyone's interest to cut ties and move on. "Clearing him," in the end, may just mean a (better?) monetary settlement for FP; not a return to him continuing here.

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #32: May 09, 2021, 12:00:51 PM »
This is definitely the end of the road for him on the broadcasts.  There is no way the Nats attach themselves moving forward without proof that she lied... and bottom line only two people know the truth. I still hate that this happened this way. A terrible date with a drunk douchebag and sexual assault are not the same thing and to falsely lable the former as the latter does a disservice to victims in the long run.If she had just posted that she went on a date with the guy and he got drunk and acted like an asshat then I would have no issues whatsoever. That is what happened initially.  When it got dropped is when it escalated to he assaulted her. Thats what makes it seem like crap

Offline rileyn

« Reply #33: May 09, 2021, 12:17:37 PM »
Here is how things land for me. I hope the sexual assault allegations are untrue. That kind of stuff is reprehensible and should be taken very seriously.

With that said, lots of this seems a bit fishy. We have seen many very TRUE stories come out over the past few years and the Me Too movement has provided great strength to women who previously were worried, fearful, and uncomfortable coming out about their abuse. We have also seen some unfounded claims come out and be debunked. Some not so great people try to hitch their wagons to good causes and all it does is hurt a good cause overall.

Now here is probably what you weren't expecting. I think regardless of the outcome, FP should be let go because it's now public record that he has been a d-bag jerk to women and he seems to be a drinker. Maybe he isn't a drunk, but if I'm his employer, I've got enough evidence to say, you are out of a public facing job until you can prove that you've cleaned up your act.

Tough crowd.  If I'm reading the above posts correctly, people want him removed from the telecast even if these allegations are completely false.  Is that right?

Is it really "on public record that he is a d-bag jerk to women and he seems to be a drinker?"  What does that even mean?  "Seems to be a drinker but not a drunk?" You have to come with much more evidence than that to end a guys career.  I'll bet you can find people lining up willing to vouch for him that he is not what he is being portrayed.

I read the post from the accuser.  If FP has a chance to defend himself and these allegations are still found to be legitimate, then yes, he should be gone.  He is on record as saying the claim is not true. 

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #34: May 09, 2021, 12:18:19 PM »
5.  Dan Kolko is the luckiest SOB in the world.

Indeed. Went from being fired to doing MLB play-by-play in a span of two months. There are only 30 of those jobs in the world.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #35: May 09, 2021, 12:31:38 PM »
Tough crowd.  If I'm reading the above posts correctly, people want him removed from the telecast even if these allegations are completely false.  Is that right?

People want him removed because they dont like him.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #36: May 09, 2021, 12:48:56 PM »

Is it really "on public record that he is a d-bag jerk to women and he seems to be a drinker?"  What does that even mean?  "Seems to be a drinker but not a drunk?" You have to come with much more evidence than that to end a guys career.  I'll bet you can find people lining up willing to vouch for him that he is not what he is being portrayed.

I read the post from the accuser.  If FP has a chance to defend himself and these allegations are still found to be legitimate, then yes, he should be gone.  He is on record as saying the claim is not true.

It's 2021. While the things stated so far show a weak argument that FP actually sexually harassed someone, it seems to me that there is some more caution here that maybe not all of his actions that happen in public view have been acceptable. Long gone are the times of being public facing and also being able to be not the best role model. Corporations are incredibly image focused and will drop someone at the drop of a hat if it could possibly cloud their image. I also think that many have learned what was culturally acceptable here in the states even 10 years ago is no longer accepted. And to "end a guys career", well he did make the majors at some point and probably isn't super duper worried about that sweet sweet MASN income. It ends up being the same with newscasters or even YouTube spokespeople for companies. By taking this job, you unfortunately forfeit the ability to not be squeaky clean in public.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #37: May 09, 2021, 12:56:19 PM »
People want him removed because they dont like him.
I'm definitely in that camp. Waaay before any of this "stuff" surfaced.

I don't dislike Carpenter but, wouldn't be heartbroken to see him retire ASAP. Washington, as a city/metro area, should be able to do far better. If Bmore was able to once sign a Jon Miller and a Gary Thorne, we should be able to hire at that level too.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #38: May 09, 2021, 01:03:21 PM »
He is on record as saying the claim is not true.

I would assume then that he recalls who this woman is and what the actual circumstances were...according to FP, of course...

Offline rileyn

« Reply #39: May 09, 2021, 01:04:54 PM »
Not liking his on-air performance and wanting him fired for flimsy allegations that he has denied, are two totally different conversations. 

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #40: May 09, 2021, 01:27:21 PM »

"Seems to be a drinker but not a drunk?" You have to come with much more evidence than that to end a guys career. 
I doubt anyone wants  his career ended because he gets drunk and hits on girls more than 30 years younger and who have no interest.   But I think people bring  up this behavior because they think it makes it more likely that he crossed the line (sexual attack).  I don't  necessarily think like that.  But I don't rule it out.  I don't like him much but I don't want him removed unless some woman comes forward - not publicly, but to legal authorities.  Not just journalists.  Until then it's just gossip.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #41: May 09, 2021, 01:28:06 PM »

I don't dislike Carpenter but, wouldn't be heartbroken to see him retire ASAP.

I  feel exactly the same way.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #42: May 09, 2021, 01:36:30 PM »
This is definitely the end of the road for him on the broadcasts.  There is no way the Nats attach themselves moving forward without proof that she lied...

IF she lied, I would think there's a good chance she's made other similar allegations, one or more of which have been dropped or proven false.  That'll be good enough  "proof".   If she lied and it's the first time, well then he's crap out of luck.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #43: May 09, 2021, 01:39:43 PM »
I  feel exactly the same way.

Same. I’ve met Bob in person and he was very gracious with this time and we had a good conversation. He’s an okay announcer and I have nothing against him but I feel there are better options out there. Not that MASN would seek them out though. Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for...

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #44: May 09, 2021, 01:41:03 PM »
I'm definitely in that camp. Waaay before any of this "stuff" surfaced.

I don't dislike Carpenter but, wouldn't be heartbroken to see him retire ASAP. Washington, as a city/metro area, should be able to do far better. If Bmore was able to once sign a Jon Miller and a Gary Thorne, we should be able to hire at that level too.
Same here.  I know most of you folks dislike the Orioles because of their owner, but I still root for them and watch the broadcasts.  That small/medium sized market team has an excellent tag team of color analysts -- Jim Palmer and Ben McDonald. The contrast with what we have is stark.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #45: May 09, 2021, 01:44:44 PM »
Bob came to the first WNFF kumbaya in Lot 8 at RFK (I think that was sometime in '06).  Nice guy, even though he puts BBQ sauce on his hot dogs. 

Same. I’ve met Bob in person and he was very gracious with this time and we had a good conversation. He’s an okay announcer and I have nothing against him but I feel there are better options out there. Not that MASN would seek them out though. Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #46: May 09, 2021, 01:52:14 PM »
This is definitely the end of the road for him on the broadcasts.  There is no way the Nats attach themselves moving forward without proof that she lied... and bottom line only two people know the truth. I still hate that this happened this way. A terrible date with a drunk douchebag and sexual assault are not the same thing and to falsely lable the former as the latter does a disservice to victims in the long run.If she had just posted that she went on a date with the guy and he got drunk and acted like an asshat then I would have no issues whatsoever. That is what happened initially.  When it got dropped is when it escalated to he assaulted her. Thats what makes it seem like crap
I would not be so sure it is the end of the road in broadcasting for him.  The stuff against Harold Reynolds seemed better documented and got him kicked off ESPN, yet he's surfaced and a star at MLB Network, which ironically I think now is owned by Disney (ESPN).

Offline rileyn

« Reply #47: May 09, 2021, 04:20:21 PM »
Will Bob and Kolko finally STFU about the bogus late inning run differential stat?  8 of the late inning runs came Friday night - such a misleading stat.  Brad Hand is garbage.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #48: May 09, 2021, 06:24:02 PM »
The SI report was on my Apple news thread this morning.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #49: May 09, 2021, 07:56:56 PM »
The SI report was on my Apple news thread this morning.
Good to see the Nats making the national news again.