Author Topic: general sports news with no other thread  (Read 6497 times)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: general sports news with no other thread
« Reply #50: December 19, 2021, 05:31:54 AM »
I guess this belongs here...if it truly belongs at all:

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/17/1065395721/quidditch-name-change-j-k-rowling

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #52: December 19, 2021, 08:56:00 PM »
Maybe they can just call it Dumb Made Up Game From a Book. Or just Stupid crap.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #53: December 19, 2021, 09:41:05 PM »
Maybe they can just call it Dumb Made Up Game From a Book. Or just Stupid crap.

It made me think of the "Birds Aren't Real" or whatever dude...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #54: December 20, 2021, 07:34:36 AM »
It’s sad that they don’t realize they are not actually flying on broomsticks.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #55: December 20, 2021, 09:05:31 AM »
It’s sad that they don’t realize they are not actually flying on broomsticks.

Oh but they are...

Offline Natsinpwc

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #57: December 20, 2021, 10:05:32 AM »

There is a genuine academic research paper entitled 'Cats - Liquid or Solid?'... ;)

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #58: December 20, 2021, 10:06:40 AM »
For any Quidditch players who may be reading - I have a Nigerian friend who requires money... :hysterical:

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #59: December 20, 2021, 01:14:37 PM »
I guess this belongs here...if it truly belongs at all:

It would appear that it should - apparently, there is Major League Quidditch... :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #60: December 21, 2021, 05:56:11 PM »
For any Quidditch players who may be reading - I have a Nigerian friend who requires money... :hysterical:

I mean, are the rules any more wacko than, say Aussie Football? :couch:

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #61: December 22, 2021, 03:16:37 AM »
I mean, are the rules any more wacko than, say Aussie Football? :couch:

Ooh, you are naughty - but I like you... ;)

Online Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #62: December 22, 2021, 04:16:23 PM »
Back in 1984 or so, Australian Rules Football was being shown on ESPN, since the network didn't have the rights to any of the major US sports. At the time, Foster's ran a full page ad in a magazine (I can't remember which one), which set out the rules of the game. It was actually informative and helped me follow and enjoy the game. No way it would make me enjoy Foster's, though.

Regarding Quidditch, I find it hilarious that there are obsessive fans for a sport which JKR herself acknowledged was created to make fun of obsessive sports fans (specifically an ex of hers who kept trying to explain the rules of his favourite sport to her despite her manifest lack of interest).

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #63: March 13, 2022, 07:59:19 PM »
Just a reminder that the new AFL (Aussie Rules) season gets underway this Wednesday, with a rematch of last seasons Grand Final - Melbourne v Western Bulldogs. Should be a great way to get the new season underway. Unfortunately, as a night game it's not great timing for the US - opening bounce-up is at 03:10 ET. However, as always, highlights will be available on the AFL Website and You Tube channel.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #64: March 16, 2022, 07:01:57 AM »
And we're off!!!  The AFL's decision to have the Grand Final rematch, as the Opening Night fixture, was fully vindicated - Melbourne (14-13-97) defeated the Western Bulldogs (11-5-71) in an excellent game. Melbourne got off to a fast start, but the Dogs produced a scintillating second quarter, turning a 27 point deficit into a 22 point lead, only for Melbourne to come back in the third. The fourth saw Melbourne's quality show through, particularly in defence,  and they pulled away to victory. Always the sign of a great game that the time seemed to fly by, and it was all over too soon - Melbourne confirming their status as favourites to re-peat, as champions.

Well worth a watch on the highlights  :D

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #65: March 25, 2022, 05:54:20 PM »
And he's done it!!!  In the Friday night game Sydney defeated Geelong 17-5-107 to 10-17-77. However, the major news is that Lance 'Buddy' Franklin became only the sixth player, in the history of the game, to reach the 1000 career goals landmark. The word 'legend' is generally overused, in sports, but here it is entirely appropriate. With the way the game has developed, it is entirely reasonable to think that this milestone will never be reached again, by another player. Incidentally, Buddy is also the last player to kick over 100 goals in a single season (2008). There were incredible scenes, at the SCG, following the goal.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/725951/buddy-magnificent-franklin-reaches-1000-as-swans-down-cats

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #66: March 27, 2022, 09:17:28 PM »
This was quite the special playoff as Wakatakage won his first tournament.  He is quite the athlete and not sure how he sometimes lifts out much bigger wrestlers. This time was more his quick moves.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #67: March 28, 2022, 06:13:16 AM »
Video of the 1000 goal celebrations. The drone shot is particularly worth a look.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #68: March 28, 2022, 05:31:51 PM »
This was quite the special playoff as Wakatakage won his first tournament.  He is quite the athlete and not sure how he sometimes lifts out much bigger wrestlers. This time was more his quick moves.

Hello fellow Sumo fan!  I've followed the sport since the mid 1980's, when TV coverage began over here. Those were the days - from the glory of Chionofuji (still the greatest) to the tragedy of Onokuni (too much, too soon...) :D

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #69: March 28, 2022, 05:41:06 PM »
Hello fellow Sumo fan!  I've followed the sport since the mid 1980's, when TV coverage began over here. Those were the days - from the glory of Chionofuji (still the greatest) to the tragedy of Onokuni (too much, too soon...) :D
Wife and I used to watch in the late 80s as the highlights were on TV in Hawaii. Lost track after that but we went to the September 2019 basho one day in Tokyo when visiting and that rekindled interest. Especially for my wife. Have been watching mostly on NHK world as they show the highlights.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #70: April 02, 2022, 06:31:58 AM »
OHH YEESSSSS!!!  Crows score after-the-siren winner in Showdown 51... :D

Offline English Natsie

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #73: May 09, 2022, 06:07:30 PM »
So - with one third of the AFL season complete, how do things stand? As expected, the defending champions (Melbourne) are the team to beat - they are the only undefeated team, at 8 - 0. The surprise packages are Fremantle and Carlton, who are exceeding expectations (currently second and fourth on the ladder). Brisbane and Geelong are right up there (again, as expected) and Richmond are back in top-eight contention. The surprise strugglers, so far are the Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide - although the Doggies have had injury issues. The real difficulty has been with DC's parent club, West Coast, who have been decimated by injury and COVID protocol issues - they've struggled, some weeks, to even put a team of any sort out on the park, having even to be granted permission, by the AFL, to call up undrafted reserves. In consequence, they are currently bottom of the ladder. Of course, the major landmark was Buddy Franklin reaching the 1000 goal mark, which has already been reported earlier.

When will the Demons lose? Can Fremantle keep it up? Watch this space... ;)

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #74: May 25, 2022, 06:13:47 PM »
In their opening game of the USAFL league season, DC Eagles defeated Baltimore Dockers 11-6-72 to 3-7-25.

Scheduling, for this season, seems to be somewhat erratic - next league game is not until 7/16...