Author Topic: general sports news with no other thread  (Read 6499 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: general sports news with no other thread
« Reply #25: August 19, 2021, 01:52:15 PM »
Little League may as well have a 36" wide plate...cause that seems to be the strike zone in the LLWS...
Anything the catcher can get his glove on is how I remember it.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #26: August 19, 2021, 02:49:55 PM »
Little League may as well have a 36" wide plate...cause that seems to be the strike zone in the LLWS...
angel hernandez umping?

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #27: August 21, 2021, 04:11:48 PM »
In a dramatic final day, of the AFL (Aussie Rules) regular season, Melbourne have claimed their first Minor Premiership since 1964 - Max Gawn scored the winning goal, against second placed Geelong, with an after-the-siren kick (final kick of the game). Preliminary Finals begin next week, with Melbourne now installed as favourites.

Last week's results had already determined that North Melbourne would take the wooden spoon.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #28: September 16, 2021, 09:49:39 AM »
Some hard-hitting news from FP:

F.P. Santangelo
@FightinHydrant
I love sports
11:49 PM · Sep 13, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Guessing he may have spiked the Red Bull for this one...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #29: September 16, 2021, 10:46:56 AM »
Some hard-hitting news from FP:

F.P. Santangelo
@FightinHydrant
I love sports
11:49 PM · Sep 13, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Guessing he may have spiked the Red Bull for this one...
He meant to tweet “I like ladies who are good sports.” 

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #30: September 25, 2021, 06:10:40 PM »
In today's AFL Grand Final, Melbourne defeated Western Bulldogs 21-14-140 to 10-6-66 to claim their first Premiership for 57 years. Melbourne pulled away during the final quarter, so the final score doesn't do justice to what was an excellent (three-quarter) game. Melbourne's superb third quarter come-back will be remembered, down the years.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/680328/it-s-a-grand-new-flag-demons-finally-exorcise-57-years-of-pain

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #31: November 03, 2021, 10:49:47 PM »
CAA will not allow JMU to compete in any college sports tournaments the rest of the year if they announce a move to the Sun Belt conference. They'd still be eligible for an at-large bid to the FCS playoffs in Football.

https://www.whsv.com/2021/11/04/jmu-teams-wont-be-eligible-caa-championships-if-sun-belt-move-announced/

Awful news for the senior class in other sports, especially softball

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #32: November 07, 2021, 04:47:18 PM »
 :D
He meant to tweet “I like ladies who are good sports.”

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #33: November 07, 2021, 04:48:11 PM »
Aussie Rules is Rugby-like, right? Not futbol.

In a dramatic final day, of the AFL (Aussie Rules) regular season, Melbourne have claimed their first Minor Premiership since 1964 - Max Gawn scored the winning goal, against second placed Geelong, with an after-the-siren kick (final kick of the game). Preliminary Finals begin next week, with Melbourne now installed as favourites.

Last week's results had already determined that North Melbourne would take the wooden spoon.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #34: November 07, 2021, 07:48:15 PM »
Aussie Rules is Rugby-like, right? Not futbol.

I welcome your interest in the Wonderful Game.  Here's a good starting point.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #35: November 07, 2021, 08:29:45 PM »
Closer to Gaelic Football than rugby. I'll have to watch for it.

I welcome your interest in the Wonderful Game.  Here's a good starting point.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #36: November 07, 2021, 08:59:53 PM »
Closer to Gaelic Football than rugby. I'll have to watch for it.
Do you get the Ocho?

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #37: November 08, 2021, 12:10:42 PM »
I'll have to watch for it.

Currently in its off-season. Pre-season gets underway late Feb, with the season proper beginning around mid-March. The Grand Final is at the end of September. So Summer is always my busiest time for sports - both the Nats and the Crows are in full swing. :D . I have a seprarate thread for your local USAFL affiliates - the DC Eagles.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38: November 08, 2021, 01:31:46 PM »
Currently in its off-season. Pre-season gets underway late Feb, with the season proper beginning around mid-March. The Grand Final is at the end of September. So Summer is always my busiest time for sports - both the Nats and the Crows are in full swing. :D . I have a seprarate thread for your local USAFL affiliates - the DC Eagles.
basically, Aussie rules takes summer / fire season off?

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #39: November 09, 2021, 03:36:02 AM »
basically, Aussie rules takes summer / fire season off?

Correct - it is the Winter game, in Australia.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #40: November 09, 2021, 10:35:40 AM »
The long offseason is needed for testicle reconstruction.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #41: November 21, 2021, 10:38:30 AM »
Wife and I have been watching the November sumo tournament highlights on NHK. This large Mongolian is the only Yokozuna and is undefeated so far in the tournament. 8-0. 15 days so just past the halfway point.

https://japan-forward.com/sumo-terunofuji-kicks-off-new-era-with-hard-fought-win-over-kiribayama/

Online blue911

« Reply #42: November 21, 2021, 01:19:50 PM »
The long offseason is needed for testicle reconstruction.

You would think they’d gaffer tape them in place.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #43: December 03, 2021, 06:41:12 PM »
Anticipation time - the 2022 Round One fixture has been revealed, by the AFL :D.  Especially if there's no Nats to watch... :roll:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/690494/r1-fixture-reveal-new-opener-big-buddy-plans-pies-in-spotlight

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #45: December 09, 2021, 09:23:32 PM »
What does "Pies in spotlight" mean?

You watch AFL from the UK?

Anticipation time - the 2022 Round One fixture has been revealed, by the AFL :D.  Especially if there's no Nats to watch... :roll:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/690494/r1-fixture-reveal-new-opener-big-buddy-plans-pies-in-spotlight

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #46: December 10, 2021, 02:59:50 AM »
What does "Pies in spotlight" mean?

You watch AFL from the UK?

The article covers a number of issues; what has become the usual season opener - Richmond v Carlton, on Thursday night - has been replaced, next season, with a Wednesday night opener featuring a rematch of this years Grand Final (Melbourne v Western Bulldogs). Plans are being made to mark a significant milestone, which will (hopefully) be quite early in the season - Lance 'Buddy' Franklin   (Sydney Swans) will become only the sixth player, in the history of the game, to reach the 1000 goal landmark. 'Pies in spotlight' refers to Collingwoood - 'The Magpies, or 'Pies, for short' - new head coach, and a playing list in transition.

Yes - AFL coverage is available in the UK. The AFL website, or the AFL You Tube channel, have excellent match highlights sections.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47: December 11, 2021, 12:24:34 PM »
long time since a post about college hockey, so I'm not going to do a separate thread like in the Minty and Madj55 primetime days.  In any event, looking over the Yale roster, I saw Kevin Stevens and Kevin Dineen's kids are there.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #48: December 13, 2021, 08:27:13 PM »
:thumbs:
The article covers a number of issues; what has become the usual season opener - Richmond v Carlton, on Thursday night - has been replaced, next season, with a Wednesday night opener featuring a rematch of this years Grand Final (Melbourne v Western Bulldogs). Plans are being made to mark a significant milestone, which will (hopefully) be quite early in the season - Lance 'Buddy' Franklin   (Sydney Swans) will become only the sixth player, in the history of the game, to reach the 1000 goal landmark. 'Pies in spotlight' refers to Collingwoood - 'The Magpies, or 'Pies, for short' - new head coach, and a playing list in transition.

Yes - AFL coverage is available in the UK. The AFL website, or the AFL You Tube channel, have excellent match highlights sections.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #49: December 17, 2021, 08:53:23 PM »
Rasslin' is still "sports entertainment" so I'm going to reply to imref in here (and not hijack the football thread):

I watch AEW most Wednesdays, i don't love everything, but there's enough 80's / 90's throwback and NJPW-style booking that i'm entertained.  The 60 minute title match draw this past week was a throwback to Flair-Steamboat in the early 90s. The Punk-MJF angle has been as good as anything in decades. The two-year storyline culminating in Page becoming champion was very well done.  Yeah, I know, your avatar hates AEW (but did give props to the Omega-Danielson match).

I don't know anything about any of that crap - I just know I watched a few segments of Orange Cassidy who is/was one of their most popular performers and it's the most cringe-worthy crap I've seen in pro wrestling since the Kane rape-baby storyline in 2005 (which effectively made me quit as a regular viewer of wrestling and only vaguely follow it at arm's length).  Also tried watching an opening match of one of their PPVs and that crap was awful too.  Looked like some crap from WCW in 2000.  (It was some overbooked cruiserweight-heavy battle royal type of thing.)

The whole thing just feels like TNA in the worst way possible, only with a slightly more serious presentation.

And believe it or not, I don't always agree with Cornette (he called Omega/Okada from WK11 a "three-star match at best" and that was some crackpipe crap), but I have heard his comments about AEW and they're generally right on the money.