Author Topic: Boswell retiring  (Read 269 times)

Offline 1995hoo

Boswell retiring
« Topic Start: May 07, 2021, 10:44:08 AM »
Not sure whether this belongs on this side or the Red Loft side, but I'll post it here and if it's wrong, the moderators' action in moving it will at least mean people will see that it was posted.

Tom Boswell announced today that he is retiring. His farewell column runs tomorrow:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/05/07/thomas-boswell-retirement-farewell-column/

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Boswell retiring
« Reply #1: May 07, 2021, 10:58:02 AM »
 :shock:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2: May 07, 2021, 11:12:11 AM »
Can't wait for him to create an account here under the name BozNats and argue with Slate about whether we should blow it up.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #3: May 07, 2021, 11:17:52 AM »
I didn't make a point to read every one of his columns, but I did enjoy most of the ones I did.  He had good insights into the particular events he wrote about, but my appreciation for his work was also based in large part on the perspective I knew he had on DC sports, gained from covering the scene for so long.  He'll be greatly missed. 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #4: May 07, 2021, 06:04:38 PM »
Sad. He is my age, and might be the last DC writer who grew up reading Shirley Povich, and then worked beside Povich. Feeling old.

Boswell mentions that he wanted to write until the Nats got into the World Series. Any of us kids who were Nationals / Senators fans in the 1950s know exactly what he means. To Washingtonians our age, that meant growing up when our contact with good Nats teams was only in Povich's history of the Senators, from 1954. Old names like Walter Johnson and Sam Rice. We knew losing streaks and last-place finishes until, in 1960, the team got good. And went off to Minneapolis, leaving a hopeless expansion team.

2019 won't ever go away.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #5: May 07, 2021, 08:18:27 PM »
Hope he creates an account with an incognito ID

Can't wait for him to create an account here under the name BozNats and argue with Slate about whether we should blow it up.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #6: May 07, 2021, 08:34:43 PM »
Hope he creates an account with an incognito ID
EXWAPO.