Author Topic: Bench Bell and Schwarber  (Read 3428 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Bench Bell and Schwarber
« Reply #50: May 26, 2021, 03:08:07 PM »
Bell now at 0.2 WAR on the season. #babysteps

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #51: May 26, 2021, 04:26:26 PM »
Bell now at 0.2 WAR on the season. #babysteps

And he is out OPS'ing Castro now. I am in agreement with Slate in that if the Nats are going to try and win a VERY winnable division, the way it happens is trading for a replacement 3B and pulling Ross from the rotation.

Offline imref

« Reply #52: May 26, 2021, 04:31:38 PM »
And he is out OPS'ing Castro now. I am in agreement with Slate in that if the Nats are going to try and win a VERY winnable division, the way it happens is trading for a replacement 3B and pulling Ross from the rotation.

Agreed as well though I think trading Cavelli would come back to bite us (and he's the only valuable piece in our farm system right now).

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #53: May 26, 2021, 04:39:14 PM »
at this point, Schwarber doesn't belong  in the conversation. He's as good or better than promised. 

As for Castro, sure  he can be improved, but he's basically an average performer all around.  Not a weak link.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #54: May 26, 2021, 05:18:29 PM »
at this point, Schwarber doesn't belong  in the conversation. He's as good or better than promised. 

As for Castro, sure  he can be improved, but he's basically an average performer all around.  Not a weak link.
He's the most replaceable.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55: May 26, 2021, 06:13:15 PM »
He's the most replaceable.
agreed.  Upgradeable, if we have the chips to get an upgrade.  Would  you consider Eugenio Suarez a big enough upgrade to include Cavalli or Rutledge in a package with either Kieboom or Garcia?  IF you say Bryant or Seager should be the target (or Story, which would require moving Harrison to 3rd I guess and Turner to 2d), do you think we have the chips?

Oh, and I realize Castro has been bad the past week or so.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #56: May 26, 2021, 07:03:54 PM »
Castro and Harrison need to play 2B. The Nats need a 3B, and have needed one since Rendon signed in LA.

Who do they trade for, and when, and what do they use? I've no idea. Maybe hold out until July...

Offline Slateman

« Reply #57: May 26, 2021, 09:01:07 PM »
agreed.  Upgradeable, if we have the chips to get an upgrade.  Would  you consider Eugenio Suarez a big enough upgrade to include Cavalli or Rutledge in a package with either Kieboom or Garcia?  IF you say Bryant or Seager should be the target (or Story, which would require moving Harrison to 3rd I guess and Turner to 2d), do you think we have the chips?

Oh, and I realize Castro has been bad the past week or so.
No, but I think Suarez is overrated.

Castro isnt bad. He's just a light hitting infielder.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #58: May 26, 2021, 09:57:25 PM »

Castro is hitting for far less power though then his past few seasons, which is the real concern. Average and OBP is about what I expect for him, but he hasn't been this weak of a hitter since 2015. I'm also not arguing with you, more so making your point that he is the one to be replaced.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59: May 27, 2021, 10:44:01 AM »

It's probably his wrist, but I would not expect a power bounceback this year if he's still feeling the effects of breaking his wrist last year.

Offline imref

« Reply #60: June 01, 2021, 11:25:00 PM »
Bell hitting .150 in his last seven. Zimm needs to play more.

Offline GataNats

« Reply #61: June 02, 2021, 03:00:02 AM »
Bell hitting .150 in his last seven. Zimm needs to play more.

Davey’s worst moment this season is not riding Zim.   He’s coming off a year of rest.   He’s raking it, and could play better D at first than Bell with one leg.   If you switched Bell and Zim’s games played, we are talking about a minimum 4 game difference

Offline Slateman

« Reply #62: June 02, 2021, 03:19:46 AM »
Davey’s worst moment this season is not riding Zim.   He’s coming off a year of rest.   He’s raking it, and could play better D at first than Bell with one leg.   If you switched Bell and Zim’s games played, we are talking about a minimum 4 game difference
And then Zim would be on the IL for two months

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #63: June 02, 2021, 07:40:50 AM »
And then Zim would be on the IL for two months
Of course you don’t know that for sure.  At least you would get soem at bats out of him. He should have been starting at least 2-3 days a week.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #64: June 02, 2021, 08:26:20 AM »
Ride Zim hard for a 20 game stretch would be fun until he ended up on the DL.

Kyle Schwarber is going to be a nice trade chip at deadline if things don't turn around.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #65: June 02, 2021, 08:44:09 AM »
I dont think Schwarber is going to have a lot of value.

Scherzer is the major chip, unless the Nats really dont think they can re-sign Turner. But I question how much othet teams will "overpay" for Turner with a shortened season likely ahead

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66: June 02, 2021, 08:48:47 AM »

you could become the next team to try to get something out of Franchy Cordero.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #67: June 02, 2021, 03:39:25 PM »

Scherzer is the major chip, unless the Nats really dont think they can re-sign Turner. But I question how much othet teams will "overpay" for Turner with a shortened season likely ahead
With our farm system, a High A 23 year old starter with couple intriguing pitches would count as interesting. Schwarber could fetch that. Trade for twenty Tanner Roark-level  :shrug: prospects and occasionally one will pop.

You're right that Scherzer and Turner are the chips if it a true blowup.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #68: June 09, 2021, 04:55:38 PM »
Well it looks like Schwrber , Bell and Castro have been bumped down in the line up to 6.7 and 8th. Not a lot of options to bench them as there are no replacements though davey is saying that he needs the best perfotmers against a lefty at the top of the order tonite.

Offline GataNats

« Reply #69: June 11, 2021, 01:03:06 PM »
Zimmerman is certainly a replacement

Offline Slateman

« Reply #70: June 11, 2021, 01:10:01 PM »
Zimmerman is certainly a replacement
Until he pulls something and is out for two months

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #71: June 11, 2021, 01:28:24 PM »
Until he pulls something and is out for two months
Is he really that fragile?   If they were that worried, they wouldn't play him at 1B for full AL series.   He looks more fit than he ever has and his PF is in the past.   It's time to play him every 3 out of 4 games as long as he's hitting like a top 5 hitter in the league.  He's also a perfect guy to protect Soto in the lineup.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #72: June 11, 2021, 01:33:53 PM »
Is he really that fragile?   If they were that worried, they wouldn't play him at 1B for full AL series.   He looks more fit than he ever has and his PF is in the past.   It's time to play him every 3 out of 4 games as long as he's hitting like a top 5 hitter in the league.  He's also a perfect guy to protect Soto in the lineup.
If we really think he is going to get hurt might as well play him and get the at bats now.  I mean what is a team 8 games below .500 saving him for?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #73: June 11, 2021, 01:41:54 PM »
This happens like every season the last ten years. Zim gets hot, hurts something, disappears for two months, then comes back and takes like 100 PAs to get his swing back.

If he wanted to start every day, he would be. He'd walk into Martinez' office and tell him to start him.

Its not a playoff team. Bell is finally starting to come around. Just enjoy this last little bit of Zim

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #74: June 11, 2021, 03:29:39 PM »
This happens like every season the last ten years. Zim gets hot, hurts something, disappears for two months, then comes back and takes like 100 PAs to get his swing back.

If he wanted to start every day, he would be. He'd walk into Martinez' office and tell him to start him.

Its not a playoff team. Bell is finally starting to come around. Just enjoy this last little bit of Zim
That probably describes more like half of the last 10 seasons.  He's had at least 4 really good full seasons in that time as well.   Also, he had great full seasons in 2009, 2013, 2017.... so 2021 should be a good year!

I'm curious if he really doesn't want to play more.  He's obviously the type of guy who will do what's best for the team, say the right things in public, and not want to undermine anyone, but would he really not want to be playing every day given how he's playing?