Author Topic: Bench Bell and Schwarber  (Read 3427 times)

Online aspenbubba

Bench Bell and Schwarber
« Topic Start: May 07, 2021, 08:10:31 AM »
If the Braves can sit Freeman we certainally need to do something with the black holes we have in the line up. Bring up Parra if Bell and Schwarber have an option or create a phantom IL. That is why we went from first to last in three days. Not acceptable.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Bench Bell and Schwarber
« Reply #1: May 07, 2021, 08:14:12 AM »
Uh .... the Braves sat Freeman for three reasons

1. They had won the first two games
2. Lester was a LHP
3. Freeman needed a day off

We lost three in a row because the pitching gave up grand slams in back to back days and nobody could hit.

Parra isnt going to magically fix the hitting and if you start Zim, youre basically forfeiting him the rest of the season

Offline rileyn

« Reply #2: May 07, 2021, 08:29:53 AM »
Nats are 5th in MLB in batting average, but 29th in batting average with RISP.  27th in homers.  Bell and Schwarber have been trifling, but the bigger overall issue is the losing bet the organization made on Robles and Keiboom.

Online Slateman

« Reply #3: May 07, 2021, 08:59:19 AM »
Gotta wonder how much the batting average vs RISP is the result of a small sample size.

And I disagree. The Nats would be fine if Bell snd Schwarber were performing to even their career averages. Robles defense and OBP are fine for bottom of the order. Castro is serviceable at third.

If Bell and Schwarber could simply hit ~ .240/.335/.465, this team is above .500 and nicely positioned to make a move and take the division.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #4: May 07, 2021, 09:17:09 AM »
Gotta wonder how much the batting average vs RISP is the result of a small sample size.

And I disagree. The Nats would be fine if Bell snd Schwarber were performing to even their career averages. Robles defense and OBP are fine for bottom of the order. Castro is serviceable at third.

If Bell and Schwarber could simply hit ~ .240/.335/.465, this team is above .500 and nicely positioned to make a move and take the division.

Correct.  RISP is random.

Harrison essentially has taken Kieboom’s place in the lineup and is fine. Schwarber and Bell were supposed to provide the power and have not.  Having Kieboom and Robles as busts is a longer term issues.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #5: May 07, 2021, 09:19:21 AM »
If the Braves can sit Freeman we certainally need to do something with the black holes we have in the line up. Bring up Parra if Bell and Schwarber have an option or create a phantom IL. That is why we went from first to last in three days. Not acceptable.

Parra is batting .125 in 3 games so far at Rochester, he's not much of an improvement.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #6: May 07, 2021, 09:57:49 AM »

The point is, the organization did not plan for Robles to be a bottom of the order bat.  Andrew Stevenson, MAT, Brian Goodwin, or any slappy could arguably fill that role just fine.  Robles was supposed to be a guy with speed and power that could drive in runs at the top of the order.  Castro and Harrison are a couple of JAGs.  You can live with JAGs and slappies if your top prospects are fulfilling their potential.  Ours are not.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #7: May 07, 2021, 10:00:24 AM »

Good points, all! I'd do everything possible to take pressure off Robles. When Willie Mays (Happy 90th!) went 0-24 at the start of his career, his mgr told him something along the lines of "You're my CF, no matter what." I'd do that, move Robles down in the order, etc.

Online Slateman

« Reply #8: May 07, 2021, 10:19:02 AM »
The point is, the organization did not plan for Robles to be a bottom of the order bat.  Andrew Stevenson, MAT, Brian Goodwin, or any slappy could arguably fill that role just fine.  Robles was supposed to be a guy with speed and power that could drive in runs at the top of the order.  Castro and Harrison are a couple of JAGs.  You can live with JAGs and slappies if your top prospects are fulfilling their potential.  Ours are not.
Not sure what scouting reports you read, but Robles was usually compared to Jean Segura or Lorenzo Cain. Speed and average, sure. But not power.

The power was supposed to be Bell and Schwarber

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #9: May 07, 2021, 01:03:07 PM »
I'm not ready to bench Bell.

It's been bad so far. But he is only guy on this roster aside from Soto with the ability to get hot and carry an offense for a while. If he is struggling a month from now, bench him. But let him keep hitting while the team is still scuffling near the top of the division.

I don't think he will get hot, but I think it is worth the risk.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #10: May 07, 2021, 02:18:00 PM »
Bench them for who?

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #11: May 07, 2021, 02:19:21 PM »
I'm not ready to bench Bell.

It's been bad so far. But he is only guy on this roster aside from Soto with the ability to get hot and carry an offense for a while. If he is struggling a month from now, bench him. But let him keep hitting while the team is still scuffling near the top of the division.

I don't think he will get hot, but I think it is worth the risk.
I agree except I DO think he will get hot. Streaky has been his history.

Online Slateman

« Reply #12: May 07, 2021, 02:21:10 PM »
Bench them for who?
Thats really the question.

I could make an arguement for Hernandez. He's been hitting pretty well. But we dont have a replacement for Zim, unless we want to use Jordy Mercer at first.

Gotta give them 100 PAs. Then see where the rest of your team stands.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #13: May 07, 2021, 02:55:38 PM »
Thats really the question.

I could make an arguement for Hernandez. He's been hitting pretty well. But we dont have a replacement for Zim, unless we want to use Jordy Mercer at first.

Gotta give them 100 PAs. Then see where the rest of your team stands.

They'll both probably get there in the next week to 10 days.  Obvious answers would be Hernandez and Zimmerman.

Online Slateman

« Reply #14: May 07, 2021, 03:05:26 PM »
They'll both probably get there in the next week to 10 days.  Obvious answers would be Hernandez and Zimmerman.
And two weeks later, when Zim is gone for the season with a musle pull, shoulder strain, or plantar fasciitis?

Online Mattionals

« Reply #15: May 07, 2021, 03:16:01 PM »
And two weeks later, when Zim is gone for the season with a musle pull, shoulder strain, or plantar fasciitis?

This is the glaring one for me. Although I thought the last time he got really hurt (a few seasons ago) he tore the WHOLE plantaris muscle off the bone, which ironically, is the best "cure" for plantar fasciitis. I believe that all the other "fixes" don't really fix the issue, but tearing the whole thing off is a longer recovery, but allows the muscle to essentially repair itself "longer" than it then can extend further without tearing again.

Also, I am not a doctor, not a nurse, not even some body who works near a hospital/medical practice so I could be playing parcheesi in a game of chess.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #16: May 07, 2021, 03:30:27 PM »

I don’t think they want to play Zimm too much especially in the first half.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #17: May 07, 2021, 04:48:24 PM »
Not sure what scouting reports you read, but Robles was usually compared to Jean Segura or Lorenzo Cain. Speed and average, sure. But not power.

The power was supposed to be Bell and Schwarber
Boy, would I be happy if he even approached Cain/Segura production.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #18: May 07, 2021, 04:52:23 PM »
Boy, would I be happy if he even approached Cain/Segura production.

Robles and Segura have almost identical OBP  :stir:

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #19: May 07, 2021, 05:07:49 PM »
Soto is DHing and hitting #3 today and sounds like they are thinking he'll be ready to play RF tomorrow.

Hopefully Zim draws in as 1B all weekend, and Bell just gets DH duties Sat and Sunday.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #20: May 07, 2021, 05:36:04 PM »
Soto is DHing and hitting #3 today and sounds like they are thinking he'll be ready to play RF tomorrow.

Hopefully Zim draws in as 1B all weekend, and Bell just gets DH duties Sat and Sunday.
Would rather see Hernandez as DH at this point. 

Online imref

« Reply #21: May 07, 2021, 06:37:45 PM »

I just posted in the injuries thread, Davey says Soto was going to throw from RF before the game today, if he feels good then he'll start in RF tomorrow.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #22: May 07, 2021, 06:46:01 PM »
I just posted in the injuries thread, Davey says Soto was going to throw from RF before the game today, if he feels good then he'll start in RF tomorrow.

Iirc Blue Rocks have a DH. Wilmington is all of 90 minutes north of DC. Why not let him swing there until the trip to NY and DH?

Sorry I gots the smooth brain

Online imref

« Reply #23: May 07, 2021, 07:06:45 PM »
Iirc Blue Rocks have a DH. Wilmington is all of 90 minutes north of DC. Why not let him swing there until the trip to NY and DH?

Sorry I gots the smooth brain

Due to covid protocols, you can only move players between the majors and AAA this year. No more rehab starts at A or AA ball.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #24: May 07, 2021, 08:16:13 PM »
Due to covid protocols, you can only move players between the majors and AAA this year. No more rehab starts at A or AA ball.

But aren’t those players already vaccinated