Author Topic: Harrisburg Senators - AA (2021)  (Read 1035 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Harrisburg Senators - AA (2021)
« Topic Start: May 03, 2021, 03:22:16 PM »
Senators Opening Day Roster listed below:

PITCHERS - 14
Bartow, Frankie
Cate, Tim
Dobzanski, Bryan
German, Jhonatan
Klobosits, Gabe
Lee, Andrew
McMahan, Pearson
Reyes, Luis
Romero, Jhon
Sanchez, Mario
Sharp, Sterling
Tapani, Ryan
Teel, Carson
Wells, Nick

CATCHERS - 3
Dunlap, Alex
Harrison, KJ
Reetz, Jakson

INFIELDERS – 6
Cluff, Jackson
Corredor, Aldrem
Duarte, Osvaldo
Geraldo, Manuel
Mendoza, Drew
Sagdal, Ian

OUTFIELDERS - 4
Banks, Nick
Freeman, Cole
Wilson, Cody
Wiseman, Rhett

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Re: Harrisburg Senators (2021)
« Reply #1: May 03, 2021, 04:54:42 PM »
Interesting that Sharp got kicked down to AA and that Harrison is listed as a catcher again.  Otherwise not a lot to note there.

Offline UMDNats

Re: Harrisburg Senators (2021)
« Reply #2: May 03, 2021, 05:36:35 PM »
If Mendoza still stinks he's probably headed to fodder land. Would be nice to have one single position player prospect from the recent drafts look like a decent major leaguer.

Offline wj73

Re: Harrisburg Senators - AA (2021)
« Reply #3: May 09, 2021, 05:40:47 PM »
Now that the Hagerstown Suns are no more, Harrisburg is the closest minor league team to me. We drove up a few weeks ago and walked around the ballpark, and it looks pretty nice. It’s a beautiful location on the island in the middle of the river. The access in and out looked pretty easy, and it looked like there was plenty of parking.

Anyone ever been there? Any tips or tricks as to best seating, decent concessions, things to look for, etc. We’ll probably take in a game sometime this month.

Offline imref

« Reply #4: May 09, 2021, 06:22:03 PM »
Now that the Hagerstown Suns are no more, Harrisburg is the closest minor league team to me. We drove up a few weeks ago and walked around the ballpark, and it looks pretty nice. It’s a beautiful location on the island in the middle of the river. The access in and out looked pretty easy, and it looked like there was plenty of parking.

Anyone ever been there? Any tips or tricks as to best seating, decent concessions, things to look for, etc. We’ll probably take in a game sometime this month.

I went years ago for a strasburg rehab start (with pudge catching). Great park.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #5: May 09, 2021, 07:40:31 PM »

No real tips.  It's a really nice setting, although it can get really buggy mid-summer due to the location mid-river.  The orientation of the park means the sun sets sorta behind 1B, so I'd avoid the stands behind the LF wall for games during which the sun sets.  I don't recall it being much of an issue when sitting on the 3B line though. 

Offline wj73

« Reply #6: May 09, 2021, 09:17:45 PM »
Thanks!  Just bought tix for this Thursday - Field Box on the 3rd base side at $17 a pop. (Last of the big spenders here.) It’s Craft Beer Thursday - $3 specials for the featured craft beer. Looking forward to a dog and a beer and live baseball!

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #7: May 10, 2021, 07:38:10 PM »

We went several times, as far back as 2011, when we went hoping to see this phenom named Bryce Harper. A great place.

Seats are great and inexpensive. My favorites were right behind the dugouts. You can see the expressions on the young players' faces as they come in from the field. Best of all: just behind the Senators' dugout. I remember watching Steven Souza tear home to score, a ferocious look. Thought, hey, this guy can handle MLB.

Food is not close to Nats Park level, nor Griffith Stadium level. Last time we went, the hot dogs were undercooked. Eat before the game.

Field, as mentioned, is beautiful. On an island in the Susquehanna. You can park on the island or park in Harrisburg along the river. There is a walking bridge from the city over to the island. Amusements on the island as well as the stadium. 

Offline wj73

« Reply #8: May 14, 2021, 01:18:28 PM »
Welp - saw my second no hitter last night. My first was Jordan Zimmermann’s, which was wonderful to see. Last night, was not so wonderful as it was the Senators who were no hit in a combined no hitter. The Senators looked lost at the plate all night, and now have a team batting average of .118. A bright note was the pitching - Shannon Sharpe looked, well, sharp.

As for the ballpark, it’s a lovely little ballpark, located on a island in the middle of the Susquehanna River. It was very easy access off the interstate, with plenty of parking ($5). Staff were friendly and helpful, and beers were cheap compared to a major league park ($7.50 for a 16 oz Yeungling). Elvir was right about the sun - it sets over the 1st base side, and if you’re sitting on the 3rd base side you look directly into it as you look towards the batter. I will definitely get tix either behind home or on the 1st base side next time. I had better luck than you did, Welch, with the food. I got something called the Smoky Joe, which was a spicy smoked sausage with peppers and onions. It was very good. Mr wj73 got a slice of pizza which he said was hot and pretty good for ballpark pizza. There was a stand called The Spot, which had all kinds of hot dogs with various fancy toppings. I may try one of those next time.

Despite the no hitter, I had a good time and am looking forward to going back. This was my first ballgame since the 2019 M&G. It was a glorious feeling to be back in a ballpark.

(Edited -Sterling Sharpe, not Shannon Sharpe. Doh!)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #9: May 14, 2021, 01:25:23 PM »
Welp - saw my second no hitter last night. My first was Jordan Zimmermann’s, which was wonderful to see. Last night, was not so wonderful as it was the Senators who were no hit in a combined no hitter. The Senators looked lost at the plate all night, and now have a team batting average of .118. A bright note was the pitching - Shannon Sharpe looked, well, sharp.

As for the ballpark, it’s a lovely little ballpark, located on a island in the middle of the Susquehanna River. It was very easy access off the interstate, with plenty of parking ($5). Staff were friendly and helpful, and beers were cheap compared to a major league park ($7.50 for a 16 oz Yeungling). Elvir was right about the sun - it sets over the 1st base side, and if you’re sitting on the 3rd base side you look directly into it as you look towards the batter. I will definitely get tix either behind home or on the 1st base side next time. I had better luck than you did, Welch, with the food. I got something called the Smoky Joe, which was a spicy smoked sausage with peppers and onions. It was very good. Mr wj73 got a slice of pizza which he said was hot and pretty good for ballpark pizza. There was a stand called The Spot, which had all kinds of hot dogs with various fancy toppings. I may try one of those next time.

Despite the no hitter, I had a good time and am looking forward to going back. This was my first ballgame since the 2019 M&G. It was a glorious feeling to be back in a ballpark.

Glad you had a good time and a memorable game.  Thanks for the report.

Offline imref

« Reply #10: May 14, 2021, 02:26:38 PM »

(Edited -Sterling Sharpe, not Shannon Sharpe. Doh!)

:clap: (for your experience, not the Senators' performance

Offline imref

« Reply #11: September 20, 2021, 03:53:34 PM »
The Harrisburg Senators concluded another year of being part of the Washington Nationals farm system with a 42-76 record and finished in last place in Double-A Northeast Standings. Second baseman Cole Freeman led the team in Batting Average (.267); Runs (57); and Stolen Bases (15). First baseman K.J. Harrison led the Senators with 14 home runs this season. Right-handed pitcher Luis Reyes led the team in wins with seven and Right-handed Mario Sanchez led the team in strikeouts (107), ERA (3.98) and WHIP (1.08)
https://thenatsreport.com/09/19/2021/allnews/down-on-the-farm-minor-league-baseball-teams-end-the-2021-regular-season/#twitter