Author Topic: Yadiel Hernandez hits. He should play  (Read 2817 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Re: Yadiel Hernandez hits. He should play
« Reply #50: May 03, 2022, 08:56:10 PM »
still would not be even for sending us Trea and Ross

Well, that was AJ "How the freak do I still have a job?" Preller.  Tampa Bay was more of the enabler there than the stooge.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #51: May 04, 2022, 11:14:37 AM »
Maybe Yadi is the DH player we trade at the deadline
Unless he has a power surge, I don't think he will attract the return we need. Teams will be scared off by his age.

I wonder if you hold onto him as insurance if Josh Bell walks and 1B and DH are open going into next season.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #52: May 04, 2022, 12:01:23 PM »
Unless he has a power surge, I don't think he will attract the return we need. Teams will be scared off by his age.

I wonder if you hold onto him as insurance if Josh Bell walks and 1B and DH are open going into next season.
sure you can hold him.  I just think you have a guy with MLB minimum, 2 years of control, hits left handed.  He can get a fair amount from a contender.  Contenders care about performance now, not does the guy have 5 years of control left.  His age should not be much of a factor.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #53: May 04, 2022, 03:46:02 PM »
sure you can hold him.  I just think you have a guy with MLB minimum, 2 years of control, hits left handed.  He can get a fair amount from a contender.  Contenders care about performance now, not does the guy have 5 years of control left.  His age should not be much of a factor.

Keep Yadi to dh next year.  Trade bell, Cruz, Cishek, Arano, Finnegan, and Cesar at the deadline

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #54: May 04, 2022, 04:31:36 PM »
YadiStar's power is just fine. He hits line-drive doubles to left-center and to right-center. That he can field adequately means he can switch from LF to DH, which is far better than losing a roster spot to a guy like Cruz who can only DH.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #55: May 04, 2022, 04:47:12 PM »
YadiStar's power is just fine. He hits line-drive doubles to left-center and to right-center. That he can field adequately means he can switch from LF to DH, which is far better than losing a roster spot to a guy like Cruz who can only DH.
Small sample size but his slugging is up to .534 which is great. Ride the hot hand as they say.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #56: May 07, 2022, 09:28:46 PM »
Need Soto to tweak a hamstring before ASB so that Yadiel can be our All Star Game representative

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #57: May 10, 2022, 04:38:28 PM »
Need Soto to tweak a hamstring before ASB so that Yadiel can be our All Star Game representative

Would have to be before the selections.  I think if your one rep is picked, that's just tough.  And it'd probably be Bell, not YadiSTAR. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #58: May 10, 2022, 07:06:17 PM »

You gotta deal him because of the age. Teams can treat him as a one year deal. And some cheap team will gamble that his bat in LF or at DH will stay hot

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #59: May 15, 2022, 08:31:43 AM »
Going to fetch a solid return at the deadline

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #60: May 15, 2022, 12:59:30 PM »
Going to fetch a solid return at the deadline

It'll be interesting to see how teams value him.  He's a bit of a unicorn, a 34 year old DH who is on a minimum salary, will be under cheap team control for the rest of his useful career, and will have one more year before he's even arb-eligible.  There's no commitment in dealing for him (as cutting him would be pretty painless money-wise) either.  It's like dealing for a second-year player except that he's really old.

Online welch

« Reply #61: May 15, 2022, 01:17:21 PM »
YadiStar is under Nats control for several more years. Keep him. He hits. Keep Franco, if possible, unless the Nats want a free agent 3B. They have no one in the minors.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #62: May 15, 2022, 02:38:00 PM »
YadiStar is under Nats control for several more years. Keep him. He hits. Keep Franco, if possible, unless the Nats want a free agent 3B. They have no one in the minors.

Brady House would like a word about that 3B gig. He is going to outgrow SS and his bat will play at 3B.

Online Slateman

« Reply #63: May 15, 2022, 02:41:34 PM »
Yadi is 32. The likelihood of getting this kind of production after this year is pretty remote. Time to sell high

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #64: May 15, 2022, 04:07:11 PM »
Yadi is 32. The likelihood of getting this kind of production after this year is pretty remote. Time to sell high

34.  Even more remote.

Online welch

« Reply #65: May 15, 2022, 06:48:04 PM »

Brady House would like a word about that 3B gig. He is going to outgrow SS and his bat will play at 3B.

House says you are mistaken. He intends to play SS. Even if he shifts to 3B, he is only in Fredericksburg, and just out of high school. He is a long way and a few seasons from the majors, even if he switches to 3B. Meanwhile, the Nats need someone, even if that someone is just a mediocre player. Otherwise it's Carter Kieboom.

Online Slateman

« Reply #66: May 15, 2022, 08:43:12 PM »
House says you are mistaken. He intends to play SS. Even if he shifts to 3B, he is only in Fredericksburg, and just out of high school. He is a long way and a few seasons from the majors, even if he switches to 3B. Meanwhile, the Nats need someone, even if that someone is just a mediocre player. Otherwise it's Carter Kieboom.

Kieboom is cheap and mediocre. Why would we not use this to build the farm?

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #67: May 16, 2022, 10:52:00 AM »
I think they have to move Hernandez if he keeps hitting. Someone is going to want him at that price. A cheap club may even toss a better than expected prospect.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #68: May 16, 2022, 11:09:56 AM »
This guy has to be dealt at the deadline. Nice scouting job by Rizzo's team (aka JDP) to get him and get a useful player.

Online Slateman

« Reply #69: May 16, 2022, 11:48:42 AM »
This guy has to be dealt at the deadline. Nice scouting job by Rizzo's team (aka JDP) to get him and get a useful player.
Yep. Anyone with any value and age/expiring contract has to be dealt.