Author Topic: Yadiel Hernandez hits. He should play  (Read 2786 times)

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Yadiel Hernandez hits. He should play
« Topic Start: April 27, 2021, 12:53:16 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/04/26/yadiel-hernandez-nationals-roster/

Hernandez was the Nationals’ 2019 minor league player of the year, bashing 33 home runs for the Class AAA Fresno Grizzlies in the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League. When finally promoted last September, he collected just five hits — one of them a walk-off homer — in 28 plate appearances but flashed his opposite-field pop. He swung his way to another chance. In 2021, that hasn’t changed.

“The more at-bats I get, the more comfortable I feel and the better I should be playing,” Hernandez said in Spanish through a team interpreter Saturday. “It’s kind of hard to come off the bench and produce, just one at-bat here and there. But the more I play, the more comfortable I feel. And hopefully the results will be there.”

His stats, including Cuba and the Nats minor-league teams:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=hernan000yad

Article says that Hernandez is too slow to play CF. Can he learn to play 3B? That allows Castro and Harrison to play 2B and SS, and allows Harrison to become the utility guy when Turner returns. And that assumes that Kieboom will not be a major league hitter this season, or ever.

Online aspenbubba

Re: Yadiel Hernandez hits. He should play
« Reply #1: April 27, 2021, 12:58:46 PM »
Someone on another thread suggested1B which would be easier than 3rd. I like the idea playing until he stops hitting. Bell needs to sit as does Schwarber.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2: April 27, 2021, 01:10:15 PM »
Schwarber's walk-off homer was what, 10 days or so ago?  The get out of jail free card is good for 2 weeks I think. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #3: April 27, 2021, 01:41:55 PM »
Schwarber's walk-off homer was what, 10 days or so ago?  The get out of jail free card is good for 2 weeks I think. 

last ten games .158 / .200 / .263, that's not Josh Bell-level bad, but it's pretty awful.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #4: April 27, 2021, 02:38:48 PM »
Can he learn to play 3B?

Almost certainly not.  There's almost no reason someone would be playing corner OF (and stuck in AAAA purgatory for years) if there were even a reasonable probability that he could play 3B.  You can switch from infield to outfield fairly easily.  It's hard to remember someone doing the reverse. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: April 27, 2021, 02:51:37 PM »
Well, as the article points out, do you really let both Hernan Perez and Jordy Mercer push this guy off the roster?

Basically, the only way this guy plays regularly is if Schwarber is dealt, one of Soto or Schwarber is injured, or Bell is dealt/injured and Hernandez learns to play 1st.  But having both Hernandez and Stevenson on the bench gives you a couple of nice LH PHs.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #6: April 27, 2021, 03:08:47 PM »
Well, as the article points out, do you really let both Hernan Perez and Jordy Mercer push this guy off the roster?

Basically, the only way this guy plays regularly is if Schwarber is dealt, one of Soto or Schwarber is injured, or Bell is dealt/injured and Hernandez learns to play 1st.  But having both Hernandez and Stevenson on the bench gives you a couple of nice LH PHs.
I think its pretty obvious you need a backup infielder

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #7: April 27, 2021, 04:07:11 PM »
I think its pretty obvious you need a backup infielder
yabut do you need 2 when everyone is healthy, plus a platoon at 1st?

Online welch

« Reply #8: April 27, 2021, 04:50:17 PM »
Almost certainly not.  There's almost no reason someone would be playing corner OF (and stuck in AAAA purgatory for years) if there were even a reasonable probability that he could play 3B.  You can switch from infield to outfield fairly easily.  It's hard to remember someone doing the reverse. 

Note the hinge: Carter Kieboom has never shown a hint that he is a major league ballplayer. It's time for the Nats to admit that and make some provision. Castro belongs at 2B/ He can play third, but that pulls Harrison from being a good utility guy. Someone has to play third and hit.

Incidentally, Killebrew was and outfielder until a AAA coach from the White Sox suggested he get closer to the plate. With that, Killebrew came to spring training in 1959 and hit homers. The Nats were desperate, so they never took the time to teach him to field -- they had traded Eddie Yost to Detroit, so there was a spot. The New Nats let Anthony Rendon sign with LA, so there is a hole at third.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #9: April 30, 2021, 09:49:42 PM »
3 for 4 tonight

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #10: May 02, 2021, 09:21:18 PM »
Note the hinge: Carter Kieboom has never shown a hint that he is a major league ballplayer. It's time for the Nats to admit that and make some provision. Castro belongs at 2B/ He can play third, but that pulls Harrison from being a good utility guy. Someone has to play third and hit.

Incidentally, Killebrew was and outfielder until a AAA coach from the White Sox suggested he get closer to the plate. With that, Killebrew came to spring training in 1959 and hit homers. The Nats were desperate, so they never took the time to teach him to field -- they had traded Eddie Yost to Detroit, so there was a spot. The New Nats let Anthony Rendon sign with LA, so there is a hole at third.

I think Hernandez is very similar to what Lombardozi was.  Don't expect too much in the long run.

The void left by Rendon is the 800 lb. Gorilla in the room at all times.  Something must be done before the trading deadline.  I haven't seen Castro's WAR numbers -- my guess is that he's under water.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #11: May 06, 2021, 02:05:10 PM »
Maria Torres
@maria_torres3
·
1h
If you were paying attention last week, you might have noticed #Nationals Yadiel Hernandez’s walk up song switched from reggaeton to a salsa crossover feat Gilberto Santa Rosa. He hadn’t asked for it. Victor Robles pranked him. After a few days, Hernandez demanded Robles fix it

Online welch

« Reply #12: May 07, 2021, 06:09:47 PM »

I think Hernandez is very similar to what Lombardozi was.  Don't expect too much in the long run.

The void left by Rendon is the 800 lb. Gorilla in the room at all times.  Something must be done before the trading deadline.  I haven't seen Castro's WAR numbers -- my guess is that he's under water.

Teach Hernandez to play 1B, and then platoon him with Zim. Since there are so many more RH pitchers, that ought to give Zimmerman enough rest. Let Bell pinch hit until he shows more than he has. Bell does not have to play just because he has a contract, an the Nats are desperate for some hitting.

If there is any similarity to Lombardozzi and Espinosa, it is that Lombo was a steady .250 - 260 hitter without much power, and Espi hit less and less as he led the NL in K's. Espi could wing from both sides, but could never hit from either. Same as Bell. Hernandez, on the other hand, is hitting .300 with an OPS of .770.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #13: May 07, 2021, 06:16:29 PM »

I heard Salsa yesterday but have no idea which songs are which.  Didn't help him that last at bat. 

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #14: August 03, 2021, 04:11:35 PM »
Gotta revive this bad boy.

Also here’s a cool FA graphs article on him from may.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #15: August 03, 2021, 04:22:51 PM »
The YadiCHISE gunning down Harper at the plate last night shortly before Ryan Zimmerman had the go ahead hit was all the makings for a great night before Martinez and Suero vomited all over themselves.

He's a bit old, but  he looks good recently. He looked good early and cooled off. If he keeps hitting, I think you bring him back next season with Lane Thomas or another righty outfielder as your backup OF.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #16: August 03, 2021, 04:47:22 PM »
The YadiCHISE gunning down Harper at the plate last night shortly before Ryan Zimmerman had the go ahead hit was all the makings for a great night before Martinez and Suero vomited all over themselves.

He's a bit old, but  he looks good recently. He looked good early and cooled off. If he keeps hitting, I think you bring him back next season with Lane Thomas or another righty outfielder as your backup OF.
I think you can forget about Lane Thomas. Read up on him.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #17: August 03, 2021, 04:47:45 PM »
I want him to start next year, or at least the bulk side of a lefty/righty platoon

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #18: August 03, 2021, 05:27:37 PM »
I think you can forget about Lane Thomas. Read up on him.
I'm not picking up what you're putting down.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #19: August 03, 2021, 05:34:00 PM »
I'm not picking up what you're putting down.

He’s saying that lane Thomas sucks (he does).

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #20: August 03, 2021, 05:41:28 PM »
He’s saying that lane Thomas sucks (he does).
We got him for Jon Lester. I don't expect much. I'm saying he may end up the RH in a backup OF platoon with a 34 year old on a team I expect will be rebuilding. That isn't the prediction I give a star prospect.

I think he is a great pickup for the price. He has speed, he had a 60 fielding grade as a prospect, he has shown power. 2019 was a breakout before he got hurt and fell apart in 2020 and just hasn't picked it up.

Do I expect him to turn into a quality major leaguer? Not particularly. Do I think a quiet role on a rebuilding team is the perfect place for him to try to rebound his career? Absolutely.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #21: August 03, 2021, 06:04:55 PM »
If Lane Thomas plays like three games and doesn't crap his pants we did well.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #22: August 04, 2021, 11:10:09 PM »
He’s now batting .312/.372/.459 through 121 PA.  His career minor league slash line is .300/.383/.506 over 1524 PA.  Career .324/.449/.487 hitter in Cuba over 2167 PA.  His last full year in Cuba he batted .369/.509/.535 with 77 BB against 47 K in 369 PA.  This guy is a straight up hitter.  He has hit EVERYWHERE.  He also won a gold glove in Cuba during the 2013-2014 season, so the good fielding and throwing we’re seeing shouldn’t be a surprise. 

He’ll be making the minimum for 2 more years then arb.  This guy needs to start in LF next year.  No more talk about him being a bench guy.  He’s a piece.  No way we get a fair trade return for what his upside is.  He is ours and freak any Yadiel FUD.  I’m on the Yadi moon mission.

Offline GataNats

« Reply #23: August 04, 2021, 11:35:02 PM »
He doesn’t have the power to be an everyday left fielder.   Go get Schwarber back

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #24: August 04, 2021, 11:49:40 PM »
He doesn’t have the power to be an everyday left fielder.   Go get Schwarber back

We won a word series with Adam Eaton as a corner outfielder.  We need good hitters.  Falling into positional profiles is a bad tendency.  If someone can handle the position with an OPS+ of 120+, then they can only hit singles for all I care.