Author Topic: Nats at Yankee Stadium visit  (Read 471 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Nats at Yankee Stadium visit
« Topic Start: April 26, 2021, 11:22:12 AM »
Nats are playing in New York on May 8. Has anyone been to the stadium. I’m thinking about going there and back all on Saturday for the 1:05 game on the train. Is this unrealistic?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Nats at Yankee Stadium visit
« Reply #1: April 26, 2021, 11:51:01 AM »
I took a nonstop Acela up there last February before everything went to hell, 3 hours flat from Union Station to Penn (slow by international standards, but good for Amtrak).  Might need to check what service Amtrak is running these days though. 

Penn Station to the stadium should be a straight shot, maybe 30 minutes. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2: April 26, 2021, 11:51:01 AM »
i spent five years going there every day. are you talking about taking the train to the stadium from DC? assuming you get an early train it's no problem. it's a very short subway ride from grand central/midtown once you are in NYC.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #3: April 26, 2021, 12:30:32 PM »
Nats are playing in New York on May 8. Has anyone been to the stadium. I’m thinking about going there and back all on Saturday for the 1:05 game on the train. Is this unrealistic?
Go for it. 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #4: April 26, 2021, 12:54:44 PM »
As others have said, it's an easy subway ride from Penn Station. Take the 'A' to 59th Street, then switch to the 'D'. It runs express to 145th Street and then to Yankee Stadium. The subways run every five or ten minutes, depending on the time and the day.

You can also take the #2 to 149th and the Grand Concourse; then switch to the #4.

Amtrak is reliable: "three hours and 59 civilized minutes", as the commercial used to say. The A train runs under 8th Avenue, 2 train runs under 7th. Penn Station is mostly over 8th Avenue, so you are more likely to get off the Acela close to the A. (And then you can sing)

Yankee Stadium has pandemic rules. Main ones:

- Must have had your second vaccination more than two-weeks before the game. Bring your CDC card.

- or have a negative test just before game day.

- Like Nats Park, they won't allow backpacks. I got into Citifield carrying a plastic back with a newspaper. Other people seemed to be carrying supermarket shopping bags.

- No concessions take cash. All credit-card. Normally, Yankee Stadium has the same sorts of food and drink that Nats Park has.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5: April 26, 2021, 02:57:45 PM »
As others have said, it's an easy subway ride from Penn Station. Take the 'A' to 59th Street, then switch to the 'D'. It runs express to 145th Street and then to Yankee Stadium. The subways run every five or ten minutes, depending on the time and the day.

You can also take the #2 to 149th and the Grand Concourse; then switch to the #4.

Amtrak is reliable: "three hours and 59 civilized minutes", as the commercial used to say. The A train runs under 8th Avenue, 2 train runs under 7th. Penn Station is mostly over 8th Avenue, so you are more likely to get off the Acela close to the A. (And then you can sing)

Yankee Stadium has pandemic rules. Main ones:

- Must have had your second vaccination more than two-weeks before the game. Bring your CDC card.

- or have a negative test just before game day.

- Like Nats Park, they won't allow backpacks. I got into Citifield carrying a plastic back with a newspaper. Other people seemed to be carrying supermarket shopping bags.

- No concessions take cash. All credit-card. Normally, Yankee Stadium has the same sorts of food and drink that Nats Park has.

they allow over the shoulder bags, correct? Nats park doesn't allow bags at all this year.

Offline welch

« Reply #6: April 26, 2021, 03:30:55 PM »
they allow over the shoulder bags, correct? Nats park doesn't allow bags at all this year.

I don't think so. I plan to put anything I need in a paper shopping bag. The Yankees permit an "MLB compliant" bag, which seems to be about the same as Nats Park. It is the same as Citifield.

See: https://www.mlb.com/yankees/ballpark/information/entry

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #7: April 30, 2021, 09:54:14 AM »
That sounds fun. A couple of my friends did a spur of the moment trip to NY for the Astros-Yankees ALCS games in 2018. They went up on Monday and went to the Monday and Tuesday games. I had some work conflicts but I decided at the spur of the moment after work on Monday to buy a Megabus ticket to go up that evening, arriving around 1am with no luggage other than a toothbrush in my pocket. They failed to tell me until after I was en route that they were staying in some cheap motel in Yonkers (which is not really close to Port Authority bus terminal). I was barely able to catch the last train to Yonkers and then had to Uber to the motel. I called out sick to work on Tuesday and we spent the day touring the city and went to the game that night. The stadium was nice but nothing special I thought. We came back on an overnight Megabus that night.

Amtrak seems pretty reliable these days and they've increased service over the past few months. I've done several trips to Philly over the past year for appointments and all but one train has been right on time. Go for it.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8: May 08, 2021, 08:36:25 AM »
On the train now! Hopefully the weather holds up for the game.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #9: May 08, 2021, 09:59:48 AM »
That sounds fun. A couple of my friends did a spur of the moment trip to NY for the Astros-Yankees ALCS games in 2018. They went up on Monday and went to the Monday and Tuesday games. I had some work conflicts but I decided at the spur of the moment after work on Monday to buy a Megabus ticket to go up that evening, arriving around 1am with no luggage other than a toothbrush in my pocket. They failed to tell me until after I was en route that they were staying in some cheap motel in Yonkers (which is not really close to Port Authority bus terminal). I was barely able to catch the last train to Yonkers and then had to Uber to the motel. I called out sick to work on Tuesday and we spent the day touring the city and went to the game that night. The stadium was nice but nothing special I thought. We came back on an overnight Megabus that night.

Amtrak seems pretty reliable these days and they've increased service over the past few months. I've done several trips to Philly over the past year for appointments and all but one train has been right on time. Go for it.
Sounds like Nats Park. You must have felt right at home.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #10: May 08, 2021, 11:09:38 AM »
On the train now! Hopefully the weather holds up for the game.

I would assume they play today even if delayed until later

Offline welch

« Reply #11: May 09, 2021, 05:01:59 PM »
...and I missed Bluestreak. Sorry, guy. We were shivering, texting with my son, and drinking cocoa.

However, I met Juan Soto's mother. Just before the game, we looked down and saw that Soto seemed to be waving to a family just to our left and a row down. When I went over, apologized for bothering them, and asked if Soto was waving to them, a woman with a giant smile said, "I'm his mom!" Bingo. I remembered it was Mother's Day. Told her that my grandson adores her son and imitates him. They laughed, and one of her friends laughed, said, "Ah, he bats like this?" Of course...stands on the toes of his front foot.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #12: May 09, 2021, 05:03:47 PM »
Excellent  :lol:
...and I missed Bluestreak. Sorry, guy. We were shivering, texting with my son, and drinking cocoa.

However, I met Juan Soto's mother. Just before the game, we looked down and saw that Soto seemed to be waving to a family just to our left and a row down. When I went over, apologized for bothering them, and asked if Soto was waving to them, a woman with a giant smile said, "I'm his mom!" Bingo. I remembered it was Mother's Day. Told her that my grandson adores her son and imitates him. They laughed, and one of her friends laughed, said, "Ah, he bats like this?" Of course...stands on the toes of his front foot.