Author Topic: Nationals @ Mets, Game 3  (Read 1488 times)

Offline hotshot

Re: Nationals @ Mets, Game 3
« Reply #75: April 25, 2021, 03:48:18 PM »
Here we go again. Corbin can only throw two sliders: Cement mixer over the plate or bounced in front of the plate
Solid #4 starter

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #76: April 25, 2021, 03:53:16 PM »
Stevenson and Hernandez should be starting

Yup.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #77: April 25, 2021, 03:53:35 PM »
Boooo we lose :(

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #78: April 25, 2021, 03:54:06 PM »
Just wasn’t our day

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #79: April 25, 2021, 03:54:23 PM »
This team sucks bad I think.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #80: April 25, 2021, 03:55:40 PM »

All this means is FP will have another chance on Tuesday to belittle the fan base for being worried...

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #81: April 25, 2021, 04:04:50 PM »

All this means is FP will have another chance on Tuesday to belittle the fan base for being worried...
That's worth the price of admission right there.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #82: April 25, 2021, 04:16:16 PM »
That's worth the price of admission right there.

You can always count on FP to come thru...

BTW...watching the post game show...Schwarby is clearly the second best interview on the team behind Juan...just a really likeably personality.  Maybe he can take over for FP when he retires...

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #83: April 25, 2021, 04:24:54 PM »

Guy is blaming our start on bad luck but the reality is every move Rizzo has made for two years has been a complete turd. Bell is unplayable.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #84: April 25, 2021, 04:37:40 PM »
Guy is blaming our start on bad luck but the reality is every move Rizzo has made for two years has been a complete turd. Bell is unplayable.
I don't necessarily mind buying low and betting on bouncebacks.  What I do mind is not covering the bets with Plan Bs you are willing to go with.  They had a Plan B for Kieboom, but not a strong one, and they seem to be forcing Bell and Schwarber when they aren't going well.  It's not LAC either because folks were on them for the way they were spreading the money at the time they spent it.  Bell was actually a nice buy low guy, but Schwarber was an overpay for what he gives you.  The thing about Bell is you can't be married to a buy low guy.  Freezing RZ with a week on the bench after a good start is just not good roster management. 

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #85: April 25, 2021, 04:42:03 PM »
"What's roster management?" - dave

Online Five Banners

« Reply #86: April 25, 2021, 05:04:49 PM »
I don't necessarily mind buying low and betting on bouncebacks.  What I do mind is not covering the bets with Plan Bs you are willing to go with.  They had a Plan B for Kieboom, but not a strong one, and they seem to be forcing Bell and Schwarber when they aren't going well.  It's not LAC either because folks were on them for the way they were spreading the money at the time they spent it.  Bell was actually a nice buy low guy, but Schwarber was an overpay for what he gives you.  The thing about Bell is you can't be married to a buy low guy.  Freezing RZ with a week on the bench after a good start is just not good roster management.

I do think it’s possible that ownership had a limit as far as how many long-term deals they were allowed to do, giving them measures of flexibility going into the next labor agreement

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #87: April 25, 2021, 05:17:55 PM »
I do think it’s possible that ownership had a limit as far as how many long-term deals they were allowed to do, giving them measures of flexibility going into the next labor agreement
Yes, but a number of guys who would have been helpful signed 1 year or maybe 2 year deals for short money - Rosario / Pederson (hurt) / Duvall / La Stella.  I wanted Gyorko as an option too.  JA Happ. 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #88: April 25, 2021, 06:48:29 PM »
A some-time nice day, sometime overcast and chilly day, but definitely felt like a day at the ballpark. Not a huge crowd, but they made enough noise that it seemed more like a late-September game between two tail-end teams.

- Could not judge balls&strikes from our seats, just above the LF foul pole, but it seemed that Corbin got hit hard because he could not strike strikes, and because several Mets waited out Corbin's slider that always finishes in the dirt. Then on bad pitcher's counts he threw over the plate.

- Did Henley try to stop Robles at second? Was that all on Robles? I was watching the ball with the CF, watching Robles turn second, and watching the relay.

- Reminded me that I've gotten modern-soft...depending too much on slo-mo replay and broadcasters to tell me what I saw. What did fans do "in the old days", like the '50s and '60s, when they had to see a game? Or listen to a single radio broadcaster from a transister radio?

- Nats hit several drives at people...Schwarber's drive to the CF wall, Bell, I think, a hard line drive that Lindor reached and leaped for. Bad luck on those. Tijuan Walker is not all that good, but my scorecard had too many "0 / 0" innings.

- Yadiel Hernandez needs to play. Robles, the "swash-buckling superstar CF of the future", needs to sit.

- Voth was ready but Davey ignored my thought-message to pinch-hit for Corbin.

- Is it too late to rent Kris Bryant for the year? Then shift Castro back to 2B and use Harrison as the utility guy? Put Zim back at 1B at least half of the time.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #89: April 25, 2021, 07:02:56 PM »
Replay showed Henley with the stop sign up as Robles got to second.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #90: April 25, 2021, 07:04:10 PM »
Replay showed Henley with the stop sign up as Robles got to second.

I guessed that.

Offline Lazarchick 31

« Reply #91: April 25, 2021, 09:13:12 PM »

This has been my stance since the trade. Bell buying low as your "big addition" was the mistake. You can't expect a guy to just eclipse career norms. Especially when you're asking for two of them to do it. If they would have went and actually acquired a legit, non miracle needed, line up upgrade AND Bell takes off you have a nasty lineup. When you don't, you end up with this. Bell is nauseating to watch at the plate at this point.

One thing is for sure, Rizzo needs to be on the hot seat after this year.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #92: April 25, 2021, 10:20:04 PM »

Creatively building a roster and maximizing your players' strengths is absolutely a flaw of Rizzo. He gets too much credit for building a good team when frankly, he signed the best free agent a couple times and got three gift stud draft picks. This year's roster was so uninspired.

I get were stuck with Corbin and Strasburg but teams like the A's get creative and platoon guys and make it work and Rizzo just signs a player he likes and hopes it works out.

Offline Mighty Casey

« Reply #93: April 26, 2021, 06:55:45 AM »
the Nats also seem to have a unique talent for hiring 'hitting' coaches who share the same flaw - namely, telling the players that any ball that bounces 3 times in the dirt before arriving at home plate is a strike, and therefore you should swing at it...never seen a team whiff at so many balls that practically rolled up to home plate...