Author Topic: Patrick Corbin Consternation Thread  (Read 28204 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Patrick Corbin Consternation Thread
« Reply #425: June 29, 2022, 10:23:34 AM »
Teams were interested in him during the offseason. Im fairly convinced that a number of teams think they can fix whateve is wrong with Corbin and turn him into a decent starter.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #426: June 29, 2022, 10:26:27 AM »
Teams were interested in him during the offseason. Im fairly convinced that a number of teams think they can fix whateve is wrong with Corbin and turn him into a decent starter.
there's a shot that he's fixed.  The velocity improvement is steady, and the K/BB is impressive.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #427: June 29, 2022, 10:36:33 AM »
there's a shot that he's fixed.  The velocity improvement is steady, and the K/BB is impressive.
Just in time to kill our tanking this year. 😒

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #428: June 29, 2022, 11:12:52 AM »
Last night was impressive, but I want to see him do it against a quality team.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #429: June 29, 2022, 12:20:02 PM »
Patrick Corbin a is a couple decent starts from a sub-6 ERA.
Maybe not even that. He's sitting at 6.06. One quality start and it drops to at least 5.95.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #430: June 29, 2022, 03:38:42 PM »
The mid90s velo is interesting to me. That changes his pitching if its sustainable. Throwing 94+ up in the zone is way different than throwing 89-90

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #431: June 29, 2022, 05:27:52 PM »
If Corbin learned a splitter (or screwball), he could be dangerous crafty lefty. Learn another and he could be the next Warren Spahn: able to throw any pitch (except the knuckle-ball) in any count and still throw hard when he wants.

Offline catocony

« Reply #432: June 30, 2022, 01:44:28 AM »
Screwballs?  Dude, no one has thrown one of them in decades, especially a lefty.  Lefties don't even care to throw circle changes usually and that has the same action as a screwball (while not destroying the pitchers arm).

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #433: June 30, 2022, 07:15:14 AM »
FWIW, he throws 2 fastballs, a slider, and a change. When he's right, he doesn't need the change. I would stick away from any pitch that messes with his velocity. That may be the key to his effectiveness. The hard slider is tough to hit. The velocity on the fastballs and slider move together

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #434: June 30, 2022, 02:26:00 PM »
Screwballs?  Dude, no one has thrown one of them in decades, especially a lefty.  Lefties don't even care to throw circle changes usually and that has the same action as a screwball (while not destroying the pitchers arm).

I raise you one Hector Santiago, a lefty who threw a screwball in the last decade.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #435: June 30, 2022, 02:45:55 PM »
Doesn't (didn't) Darvish have a screwball?   

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #436: June 30, 2022, 03:20:04 PM »
Doesn't (didn't) Darvish have a screwball?
I think the point is that pitches have evolved that have action similar to a screwball, but with far less wear and tear. So why throw one?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #437: June 30, 2022, 03:44:35 PM »
I think the point is that pitches have evolved that have action similar to a screwball, but with far less wear and tear. So why throw one?

Ask Devin Williams.  That thing he calls an "Airbender" is a screwball (and a good one).  Look at his wrist when he throws it.

FWIW, he throws 2 fastballs, a slider, and a change. When he's right, he doesn't need the change. I would stick away from any pitch that messes with his velocity. That may be the key to his effectiveness. The hard slider is tough to hit. The velocity on the fastballs and slider move together

The important bit is that the last two sentences are wrong.  The last 3 starts, the velo on his 2-seamer has gone up each time and his slider has gone down every time.  There's another 2-3 MPH of separation there, just from eyeballing the medians.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #438: June 30, 2022, 04:05:34 PM »
I was going to ask about the slider. Great start, but curious how his slider is trending. It's was a top 10 pitch in all of MLB when he was at his best, maybe even top 5.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #439: June 30, 2022, 06:48:17 PM »

If you are afraid that a screwball ruins a pitchers arm, consider Warren Spahn. He was not a "crafty lefty". Spahn threw everything, including a screwball, for 21 seasons, or until he was 44. In his late 30s, he threw the fastball only as a put-away pitch -- I remember a national broadcaster saying, "Spahnie still has that fastball when he needs it".

Don't believe in the screwball? Let Corbin throw a cutter, which behaves somewhat like the screwball.

When Corbin can't get guys to swing and miss his slider, he collapses. He needs a couple more pitches.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #440: June 30, 2022, 07:31:17 PM »
Ask Devin Williams.  That thing he calls an "Airbender" is a screwball (and a good one).  Look at his wrist when he throws it.

The important bit is that the last two sentences are wrong.  The last 3 starts, the velo on his 2-seamer has gone up each time and his slider has gone down every time.  There's another 2-3 MPH of separation there, just from eyeballing the medians.
velocity on his slider is up from the start of the year. Your right that the last start or two is down slightly, but the overall trend is faster for both.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #441: June 30, 2022, 07:40:26 PM »
Devin Williams and Ryan Pepoit have change ups that are basically screwball s

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #442: June 30, 2022, 09:21:05 PM »
velocity on his slider is up from the start of the year. Your right that the last start or two is down slightly, but the overall trend is faster for both.

Yes, although if you're just eyeballing it there is a bit of deception caused by the very low velocity in his third start (which didn't have bad results - 5.1 IP, 2 ER - between two total stinkers). 

I haven't bothered to run all the numbers, but even that three-start sequence is instructive: the slider velocity dropped much more than the 2-seamer and then rebounded; in other words, the good start had a ~13 mph gap between the 2-seam and slider velos, while the crappy starts immediately before and after it was more like 10-11. 

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #443: June 30, 2022, 10:28:33 PM »
If anyone is dumb enough to offer a trade for him you take it and never look back.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #444: July 01, 2022, 12:45:20 AM »
He’s not getting traded this year. Needs to recoup value over months and probably into next year. Just root for him at this point.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #445: July 04, 2022, 12:47:11 PM »
This version of Patrick Corbin is very useful.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #446: July 04, 2022, 07:31:10 PM »
He's not last in the majors ERA after today!

Offline Chelsea_Phil

« Reply #447: July 27, 2022, 06:27:37 PM »
Bump …. 6 runs in 2/3 of an inning.

Offline Chelsea_Phil

« Reply #448: July 27, 2022, 06:29:56 PM »
He's not last in the majors ERA after today!

Methinks Cornin is back to #1 on this stat.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #449: July 29, 2022, 09:22:51 AM »
When we won game 2 vs Dodgers, I briefly allowed myself to dream of an improbable sweep.

Then I looked at the next day’s starter…