Author Topic: Patrick Corbin Consternation Thread  (Read 27531 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Patrick Corbin Consternation Thread
« Reply #225: September 12, 2021, 05:02:10 PM »
But the Pirates suck at hitting

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #226: September 12, 2021, 11:38:53 PM »
There have been a few stretches this season where it looked like Corbin might have turned a corner, but they lasted no more than 2-3 starts. Most recently, the strong performance in Milwaukee was followed by two bad starts.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #227: September 13, 2021, 11:58:45 AM »
Will the real Patrick Corbin please stand up... ;)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #228: September 13, 2021, 12:00:01 PM »

Applebee's has a more effective slider...

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #229: September 13, 2021, 12:03:38 PM »
Will the real Patrick Corbin please stand up... ;)

please stand up...please stand up...

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #230: September 13, 2021, 12:12:27 PM »
If he has a third consecutive good game, we may have some reason to be optimistic about him next season.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #231: September 18, 2021, 05:40:21 PM »
Bump

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #232: September 18, 2021, 06:17:47 PM »
Bump

Hard to be mad at the guy.  He takes the ball and tries, and he doesn't hide when it all goes badly.  As it so frequently does. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #233: September 18, 2021, 06:23:59 PM »
Hard to be mad at the guy.  He takes the ball and tries, and he doesn't hide when it all goes badly.  As it so frequently does.

Dan Haren v2.0. 

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #234: September 19, 2021, 03:14:20 AM »
Will the real Patrick Corbin please sit down... :hysterical:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #235: September 19, 2021, 09:41:22 AM »
MLB says we should not give up on Corbin:

"It's a fair bet he'll not have another season as bad as this one".  :hysterical:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #236: September 19, 2021, 10:09:27 AM »
MLB says we should not give up on Corbin:

"It's a fair bet he'll not have another season as bad as this one".  :hysterical:
the phrase "dead cat bounce" comes to mind.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #237: September 19, 2021, 12:23:01 PM »
Wonder if it’s a coaching staff issue. Max sure caught fire once he started pitching for the Dodgers.

Online Slateman

« Reply #238: September 19, 2021, 12:28:09 PM »
Or maybe Max was sandbagging because he had nothing to pitch for

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #239: September 19, 2021, 12:37:53 PM »
Technically, progression to the mean is more of a dead baby bounce
the phrase "dead cat bounce" comes to mind.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #240: September 21, 2021, 01:39:27 AM »
It's easy when you're laughing all the way to the bank, which is what Corbin does every night of his life.  He's happy as long as his golf game is not suffering. 

I'm not complaining, though, because he helped his team win a World Series.  But he's got one more year to shape up or ship out. 

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #241: September 21, 2021, 08:45:26 AM »
Nightmare of a season.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #242: September 21, 2021, 04:28:06 PM »
Nightmare of a season.

It’s early

(in the contract)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #243: September 21, 2021, 05:29:16 PM »
Corbin leads the NL in losses, earned runs, and home runs. He led the NL in hits last "season".

Free agent after 2024, taking up $24 million for the next two years and $35 million in 2024. Baseball Ref seems to say that he would be eligible for several kinds of bonus for the next few years, although none are marks that Corbin might hit.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/corbipa01.shtml

(And he has made $72 million playing baseball.)

Online Slateman

« Reply #244: September 28, 2021, 10:35:04 PM »
In his last five starts, Corbin has an ERA of 3.82

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #245: September 29, 2021, 12:22:13 AM »
In his last five starts, Corbin has an ERA of 3.82
Coincidentally, in his five starts in June, he had an ERA of 3.82. He also had a 3.82 ERA in his first five starts (of 6) in May. So he's been consistently inconsistent all season, putting together a string of a few starts where it looks like he's turned a corner, and then regressing for a few starts.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #246: September 29, 2021, 09:23:47 AM »
Coincidentally, in his five starts in June, he had an ERA of 3.82. He also had a 3.82 ERA in his first five starts (of 6) in May. So he's been consistently inconsistent all season, putting together a string of a few starts where it looks like he's turned a corner, and then regressing for a few starts.
for the fun of it, I resorted his starts this year by runs allowed.  I could have done it by earned runs, but I don't like excusing blow ups after errors when you are talking about a guy who is supposed to have been top of the rotation. He has had 14 starts where he's given up 3 or fewer runs.  all but 2 were 6 innings, and the 2 others were 5.  Call those good / acceptable starts.  He's had six 4-run starts, with one 7 innings and the rest less than 6.  I/M/O, only the 7 inning start was OK pitching, and perhaps the 5.2 inning, 4 run, win vs. the Os was just pitching with a lead and not blame-worthy.  That leaves two 5-run starts, seven 6-run starts, and one absolutely jaw-dropper 10-run start.  Two were immediately after the all star break and one on 7/1 (daggers after the good June), two were in his first starts of the year coming  off the COVID shut down (including the 2 run, 10 inning fiasco that poisoned his ERA forever), and 4 were in a lousy stretch of 5 starts in August. The outlier is his one bad start in September (9/18 home v Rox). 

I'll give him a slight pass on the first two starts of the year.  The MO now is to give guys some minor league appearances before bringing them back after a COVID shut down, so there was an element of letting him take his lumps to those games. Beyond that, he seemed to have his act together the first 3 months. His ERA always was bad due to his  first 2 starts, but he wasn't pitching badly before July.  His blow up seems more in July and August, with 8 lousy starts (including the 4 runs in 5 innings on 7/29, break up the Nats afternoon), 2 good ones, and one acceptable one (4 runs in 7 innings).

I think that, rather than say he was erratic, it seems more he hit an awful stretch in July and August.  I don't know  what that means, TBH.  On the bright side, it does not seem to be a precursor to needing arm surgery.  Velocity is fine.  Maybe there was a specific, non-health issue impacting the middle of the season that has been mostly fixed?  There was FG speculation about his release point, but other than that I've not heard much.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #247: September 29, 2021, 09:40:09 AM »
for the fun of it, I resorted his starts this year by runs allowed.  I could have done it by earned runs, but I don't like excusing blow ups after errors when you are talking about a guy who is supposed to have been top of the rotation. He has had 14 starts where he's given up 3 or fewer runs.  all but 2 were 6 innings, and the 2 others were 5.  Call those good / acceptable starts.  He's had six 4-run starts, with one 7 innings and the rest less than 6.  I/M/O, only the 7 inning start was OK pitching, and perhaps the 5.2 inning, 4 run, win vs. the Os was just pitching with a lead and not blame-worthy.  That leaves two 5-run starts, seven 6-run starts, and one absolutely jaw-dropper 10-run start.  Two were immediately after the all star break and one on 7/1 (daggers after the good June), two were in his first starts of the year coming  off the COVID shut down (including the 2 run, 10 inning fiasco that poisoned his ERA forever), and 4 were in a lousy stretch of 5 starts in August. The outlier is his one bad start in September (9/18 home v Rox). 

I'll give him a slight pass on the first two starts of the year.  The MO now is to give guys some minor league appearances before bringing them back after a COVID shut down, so there was an element of letting him take his lumps to those games. Beyond that, he seemed to have his act together the first 3 months. His ERA always was bad due to his  first 2 starts, but he wasn't pitching badly before July.  His blow up seems more in July and August, with 8 lousy starts (including the 4 runs in 5 innings on 7/29, break up the Nats afternoon), 2 good ones, and one acceptable one (4 runs in 7 innings).

I think that, rather than say he was erratic, it seems more he hit an awful stretch in July and August.  I don't know  what that means, TBH.  On the bright side, it does not seem to be a precursor to needing arm surgery.  Velocity is fine.  Maybe there was a specific, non-health issue impacting the middle of the season that has been mostly fixed?  There was FG speculation about his release point, but other than that I've not heard much.
Would July and August have been the sticky stuff crackdown?   Max took a step back those months too and then recovered as well.   

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #248: September 29, 2021, 10:41:39 AM »

Timing doesn't line up exactly, but he was on the paternity list in May, and a new baby tends to throw things off for a while in life even if it's not a first kid.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #249: September 29, 2021, 12:09:28 PM »
He was good last night, and has had a few good starts around that clunker at Nats Park on September 14. I hope he is back to 2019 skills.