Author Topic: Worst Offensive Performance of the Season 2021  (Read 5856 times)

Offline Duke of Earl

Bump.
Last night's loss was particularly disturbing. When Scherzer left it appeared to be a lost cause, a "bull pen" game.  Then the bull pen performed beautifully, the whole game, and all it would have taken was a couple runs.  Instead, two hits.  It's getting tougher and tougher to watch these games. I think I'll skip the doubleheader today.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Last night was so bad, I'm tempted to lock this thread and start a new one, "second worst offensive performance of the season 2021."  Descalfini was so good last night it is one of the "lead" captions on the ESPN crawl at the bottom of its screen.

Offline Duke of Earl

Last night was so bad, I'm tempted to lock this thread and start a new one, "second worst offensive performance of the season 2021."  Descalfini was so good last night it is one of the "lead" captions on the ESPN crawl at the bottom of its screen.
Sure start a new thread.  But I'm not sure last night was the worst.  It was the most disappointing (to me). But there were several well hit balls.  We've had game with two hits and really no hard contact. Or games where we struck out 16 times.

Didn't we have a game where we had one hit?

Offline Dave in Fairfax

Similar to the April 9 game against the Dodgers, the other 1-0 shutout.

In that game, Ross, Avilan, Suero and Clay combined to throw 8 innings, giving up 1 run on 4 hits and 2 walks. The run was a solo homer.
In this game, Scherzer, Espino, McGowin, Suero, Harper and Clay combined to throw 9 innings, giving up 1 run on 4 hits and 0 walks. The run was a solo homer.

On April 9, the offense managed 8 hits (one a double) plus one intentional walk.
Last night, the offense managed only 2 hits (one a double) and one walk.

So which was worse? At least last night, DeSclafani was masterful. In the April 9 game, Buehler left after six and the Nats also managed nothing against the Dodgers bullpen either.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
But what will you do when we get no-hit?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Even with all the homers as of late, only two NL teams have scored fewer runs than the Nats this season: Pittsburgh and the Mets. Miami has scored an identical 304.

The Mets have only given up 254 runs though, which is 34 fewer than SD and Miami who rank 2nd and 3rd.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Over the past couple weeks we're near top in the NL.

We'll cool off but hopefully instead of everyone being cold or everyone being hot there will be some balance.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Speaking of balance:

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1410024603443990529

he's really really lucky that bat didn't shatter, he and several others could have been severely hurt.  If you want to do that kind of thing, do what Harper did and take it to the tunnel (and he almost blinded himself).

Offline nfotiu

So basically Schwarber got Monday's pitcher DFAd and made Tuesday's pitcher do that.    :hysterical:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Finally positive in run differential.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Reviving Matt Harvey's career.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Harvey came in with a 7.13 ERA

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
crapting the bed against the '21 Birds has to be close to rock bottom. 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Robles + Kieboom =

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline spidernat

those two are major disappointments

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
those two are major disappointments
I look at those trade simulators and they have Kieboom at a high value, nearly 2x Scherzer, and it makes me not want to use them. They just don't come near the reality I see. 

Sure, if the Rays pick him up , they probably can fix him, but he's not even showing glimmers right now

Offline RobDibblesGhost

I look at those trade simulators and they have Kieboom at a high value, nearly 2x Scherzer, and it makes me not want to use them. They just don't come near the reality I see. 

Sure, if the Rays pick him up , they probably can fix him, but he's not even showing glimmers right now

Good. Maybe they can get something for him. I’d be happy with a grande meal from Taco Bell.

Offline spidernat

Good. Maybe they can get something for him. I’d be happy with a grande meal from Taco Bell.

no hot sauce :lol:

Offline rileyn

Let's keep this thread handy.  Any guesses at a batting order tonight?

Robles
Escobar
Soto
Bell
Parra
Garcia
Berrera
Keiboom

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
Let's keep this thread handy.  Any guesses at a batting order tonight?

Robles
Escobar
Soto
Bell
Parra
Garcia
Berrera
Keiboom

Wow thats rough to see. Looks like a spring training lineup.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Hi!

Offline spidernat

:whistle: