Author Topic: Worst Offensive Performance of the Season 2021  (Read 5860 times)

Offline GataNats

Continuing to sit Zimmerman is one of the dumbest coaching moves in history

Offline Duke of Earl

Continuing to sit Zimmerman is one of the dumbest coaching moves in history
Sitting Zimmerman is what is keeping him healthy and what will hopefully keep him healthy all season.

Offline Natsinpwc

Sitting Zimmerman is what is keeping him healthy and what will hopefully keep him healthy all season.
I would think a couple games a week would be better than sitting.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I would think a couple games a week would be better than sitting.
I just assume that Gata is one of our new Nats fans, who is unfamiliar with Zim's inability to stay healthy

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Hello again.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Nothing going against a starter who came in with an ERA of over 8.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

So Nats are 29th out of 30 with a .211 average with RISP. Only Tampa is worse (.192). Oddly enough, though, Nats are tied for second-fewest strikeouts in those situations which means they’re putting the ball in play most of the time. Go figure. But something needs to change...

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
So Nats are 29th out of 30 with a .211 average with RISP. Only Tampa is worse (.192). Oddly enough, though, Nats are tied for second-fewest strikeouts in those situations which means they’re putting the ball in play most of the time. Go figure. But something needs to change...

Just Bad Luck...

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Placeholder for tonight...

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Happy Mother’s Day!

Offline Dave in Fairfax

To put some perspective on the offense, or lack thereof:

A quality start is defined as 6 innings pitched with 3 earned runs or fewer. These days, many starters, especially back-of-the-rotation guys like Fedde and spot starters like Espino, aren't even expected to go six innings, so maybe the "quality start" definition should also take into account 5-inning starts with 3 ER or fewer.

Taking that into account, in 30 games, Nationals starters have given up 4 or more earned runs in 9 starts. Of these, 5 were in the first 10 games of the season.  So in the last 20 starts, 16 have been essentially "quality" starts.  The team won 10 of those. So that is six games in the last 20 where the starters gave the team a chance to win and either the offense failed to show up or the bullpen failed. And even regarding bullpen woes, the offense matters since you pitch differently when you have a big lead vs. when you have to worry that every pitch you throw could be the difference between a team win and a loss.

Also, in only one of the nine "bad" starts, Scherzer's opening day 6IP/4ER performance, did the offense bail out the pitching staff. The other "bad" starts are a mixed bag, some losses falling on the starter and some on the offense for failing to give him support:

• In Fedde's Game 2 7-6 loss, the team gave him a lead which he gave up.
• In Corbin's Game 5 9-5 loss, the team managed 5 runs, but 2 were in the ninth and were essentially meaningless.
• Strasburg was shelled in Game 8's 14-3 loss, but the offense also only gave him 1 run of support, adding again 2 more meaningless 9th inning runs.
• The offense did show up for Game 10's 11-6 loss, with 4 runs in the first, but Corbin was awful those first 2 innings.
• In Game 14's 12-5 loss, the team managed 5 runs, but again the last 3 of them only came when they were already down 11-2.
• In Game 19, the team was shut out, so it would not have mattered if Corbin gave up 1 run or 10.
• Game 20's 9-5 loss is on Scherzer for not pitching around Vlad, Jr.
• In Game 26, a 5-3 loss, the team did not manage to score until 1 run in the 4th, when Fedde had already given up 5, and 2 runs in the 8th ended up only getting our hopes up.

The optimistic view is that good pitching beats good hitting, and our starting rotation is relatively strong and improving, so maybe if the offense can finally get going and the relievers don't have to pitch under the same pressure, the team's chances are better than they look on paper. But the offense really needs to get going. Five shutouts and 3 one-run games is not great.

Sorry for babbling on. Also, if I've reminded any of you of performances you'd just have soon have forgotten, sorry for that as well.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

I’d love for this thread to die a fiery death but that will never happen.

Offline UMDNats

Mike Rizzo took us from WS champs to tanking in less than 2 years.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

2 runs despite 10 hits with 12 LOB has to earn an honorable mention on this thread, although the bar is set awfully high.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
What makes for an awful offensive performance?  Is it just the number of runs?  Which is worse, being totally dominated a la deGrom, making schlock look like a Cy Young candidate, or oodles of stranded baserunners and baserunning mistakes killing innings? 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
What makes for an awful offensive performance?  Is it just the number of runs?  Which is worse, being totally dominated a la deGrom, making schlock look like a Cy Young candidate, or oodles of stranded baserunners and baserunning mistakes killing innings? 

Yes

Offline Duke of Earl

for me it's men left on base.  How often do we get two runners on with no outs, or bases loaded with one out, and come away without a run. Too often. Drives me nuts.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
For the most part, number of runs.

Since coming into Atlanta at the top of the division, the Nats have scored 2 or fewer runs in five of the eight games. Thats really poor offensive performance, especially given that they didnt really face any elite pitching.

Offline rileyn

Placeholder for Saturday.  Coming off 17 runs, it is almost a foregone conclusion that we will scuffle tonight.

Offline Copecwby20

To the tune of "Sound of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel

Hello darkness, my old friend
The scoreboard blacked out once again
Leadoff runner softly leading
Good timing not keeping
And the vision, that was the play
Robles got thrown out today
Before the Bats…. of silence

In empty stands I walk alone
Eating ice cream from a cone
In the shadow of a promo board
I shuffled past the old team store
When my ears were stabbed by an old air horn
That was never blown
Before the bats… of silence

And in that stadium light I saw
10,000 people, but no more
They were social, they were distancing
The mayor spoke and they were listening
We all were there,
But no one cared
The bats….. were silent

Soto said “You do not know”
“Their pitcher’s pitch count slowly grows”
“Listen to me on this one thing”
“Learn how to take a mighty swing,
Put the ball in the seats
Teams we shall beat
And beat the bats ........of silence”

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
How long did it take to get the gist down for that? Was it a roll then some edits? F'ng genius!

Offline Copecwby20

How long did it take to get the gist down for that? Was it a roll then some edits? F'ng genius!

I’m lyrically inclined so I usually spend a minute or two on each stanza. Probably took me 10-15 minutes to write. With parodies I open the original on one screen and word on the other. I type on one screen and read my way down the other.

Offline Natsinpwc

Bump.