Author Topic: Roster Moves - 2021  (Read 15047 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Roster Moves - 2021
« Reply #350: August 24, 2021, 05:20:58 PM »

Two of these moves make no sense. Klobosits was fine. Clay is awful.

Klobosits had a 5.56 ERA

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #351: August 24, 2021, 05:23:42 PM »
this strikes me as a heads will roll if you keep on walking guys message being sent by dinging a few of the marginal types.  there were times where I felt they sorely needed a lefty the past few days. Clay fills that roll because his pitching is an eyesore.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #352: August 24, 2021, 05:30:57 PM »
Klobosits had a 5.56 ERA

And Clay was at 5.80 in a lot more innings.  One guy has proven he can't do the job.  The other's only partway there.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #353: August 26, 2021, 01:15:46 PM »
I've moved the Robles discussion to a surprising thread:  the discussion thread on Robles.

This is a roster moves thread.  If there is an actual move involving Robles, then you can post it here.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #354: August 30, 2021, 03:56:08 PM »
Per Martinez presser, Riley Adams is going to start working at 1B some with Ruiz getting majority of reps behind plate.

I bet Tres Barrera catches every day rest of season in Rochester and then next season we carry all three.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #355: August 30, 2021, 04:16:09 PM »
Not sure Adams really projects well at first

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #356: August 30, 2021, 04:28:23 PM »
Per Martinez presser, Riley Adams is going to start working at 1B some with Ruiz getting majority of reps behind plate.

I bet Tres Barrera catches every day rest of season in Rochester and then next season we carry all three.
I could live with your scenario and hopefully Adams would be a good platoon to Bell. I have no opinion on Bell be traded in the off-season for additional prospects. The remainder of this season is throw it against the wall and see if it sticks.
I'm getting concerned about Kieboom and I know he has been struggling lately and I do believe Garcia needs to play in Rochester next year so we have some holes to fill in the off season.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #357: August 30, 2021, 05:11:20 PM »
Not sure Adams really projects well at first
I don't think Adams ever hits well enough to be a full time first baseman, but I think he could be a spot 1B or DH. He isn't a great bat, but too good to be limited to off days behind Ruiz. Have a third catcher lets them be creative with Adams and Ruiz.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #358: August 30, 2021, 05:34:01 PM »
We will begin to see if Ruiz can catch. I think we have been spoiled by Yan Gomes, of course.

Online imref

« Reply #359: August 30, 2021, 06:43:22 PM »
Barrera to Rochester

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #360: August 31, 2021, 10:13:26 AM »
Barrera to Rochester

I feel bad for the dude. 

The organization seems like they gave up on him when he didn't hit in AAA this year (and despite being a reasonable hitter at prior levels, especially given his defensive ability and position), traded for two guys to stick ahead of him, and now they option him even though he's been good both with the bat and in the field.  Hope he gets another chance soon here or elsewhere.

Organizationally, it also stinks.  This team has produced precious little in terms of useful players from anything but the 1st round of drafts recently.  Barrera was a sixth round pick.  This is exactly the type of player you should be using to fill roster spots, even as a backup C, a position for which he looks eminently qualified.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #361: August 31, 2021, 10:48:11 AM »
I feel bad for the dude. 

The organization seems like they gave up on him when he didn't hit in AAA this year (and despite being a reasonable hitter at prior levels, especially given his defensive ability and position), traded for two guys to stick ahead of him, and now they option him even though he's been good both with the bat and in the field.  Hope he gets another chance soon here or elsewhere.

Organizationally, it also stinks.  This team has produced precious little in terms of useful players from anything but the 1st round of drafts recently.  Barrera was a sixth round pick.  This is exactly the type of player you should be using to fill roster spots, even as a backup C, a position for which he looks eminently qualified.

Well said and I agree. Will they trade him in the off -season or will they try Adams at first and trade Bell. Maybe he comes back tomorrow when the rosters expand but I'm thinking Rainey and Suero.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #362: August 31, 2021, 10:50:12 AM »
I feel bad for the dude. 

Davey did say they are going to try Adams out at 1B, and I think Smithian's idea of a three headed catching monster with the DH likely next season starts to make some sense. I think Barrera has backup Catcher written all over him, and the Nats must think Adams's bat could be useful everyday. I think we are going to see Ruiz at C and DH a lot too, so his bat can be in the lineup every game.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #363: August 31, 2021, 11:01:36 AM »

Davey did say they are going to try Adams out at 1B, and I think Smithian's idea of a three headed catching monster with the DH likely next season starts to make some sense. I think Barrera has backup Catcher written all over him, and the Nats must think Adams's bat could be useful everyday. I think we are going to see Ruiz at C and DH a lot too, so his bat can be in the lineup every game.
Yea. I was assuming they want to see what Ruiz has and sending Barrera down is so he can play every day and get at bats. Spring training will decide. Ruiz has to produce to get the job.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #364: August 31, 2021, 11:21:25 AM »
Yea. I was assuming they want to see what Ruiz has and sending Barrera down is so he can play every day and get at bats. Spring training will decide. Ruiz has to produce to get the job.

Probably not, actually.  Ruiz's offensive pedigree suggests he's likely hitting in the 5 or 6 spot next year: he hit 6th last night, which is not exactly the norm for a catcher just up from AAA.  The bigger questions with him are how good a hitter is he (as in good enough to move him off catcher at least part time so he can play more than 120-ish games) and how good a catcher he is (is in, does he have to move off catcher and hope he hits enough to play elsewhere).  He's hitting the cover off the ball as a 22-year-old in AAA.  You don't keep such guys in the minors, because they are likely to be able to hit major league pitching quite well quite soon, even if that's not spring training. 

And Barrera is going to be 27 in a couple weeks.  That's not super old for a catching prospect, but it's not young either.  There's not a whole lot more development in there.  He's either ready now or he's not ever going to be. 

A three-headed catcher makes more sense if (a) two of them are good hitters - not just good hitters for catchers and (b) they're both able to play a position that's not catcher, 1B, or DH (if you have it).  Otherwise you're setting the bar too high in terms of offense for them to realistically hit it. 

Barrera has MLB catcher defense.  I'm not sold on Adams there yet, and I haven't seen enough of Ruiz to have any impression.  If you're using three roster spots for catchers, two must be in the lineup every day, and the third guy has to actually play a lot too.  I just don't see how it works: if you're having Adams catch and Ruiz play 1B (say), you've lost a position at which you should have a masher, and your backup catcher is already in the game, so no need for Barrera to be on the bench.  You then switch them the next day to keep both their bats - which have to be good to justify the scenario - in the lineup every day.

Put otherwise: what is the situation where Barrera would actually play enough to justify a roster spot?  It seems to be it requires that one of the other two be a nearly full-time starter at a non-catcher position, leaving Barrera with a standard backup catcher role.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #365: August 31, 2021, 11:56:53 AM »
there's also Pineda and the kid in AA they got from Oakland.  They have some catching depth. Pineda needs to be added to the 40 man roster or he's exposed again to Rule 5.  If he's added, then I suspect Barrera gets dropped.  OTOH, I think Barrera has shown enough that he could be an MLB backup, and he has a decent chance of getting a shot at that somewhere. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #366: August 31, 2021, 12:00:30 PM »
there's also Pineda and the kid in AA they got from Oakland.  They have some catching depth. Pineda needs to be added to the 40 man roster or he's exposed again to Rule 5.  If he's added, then I suspect Barrera gets dropped.  OTOH, I think Barrera has shown enough that he could be an MLB backup, and he has a decent chance of getting a shot at that somewhere.

If Barrera is exposed, he's a dead certainty to be picked. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #367: August 31, 2021, 12:17:12 PM »
Pineda is definitely being dealt. He's never really shown much but has some potential and a prospect swap could be in order with a team.

Also these things have a tendency to work themselves out. It's very possible Ruiz or Adams gets hurt and Tres is here next year, or one or both stink, etc. Can't pencil any of these guys into full-time roles just yet, so you have all 3 on the 40-man in 2022 and see what shakes out.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #368: August 31, 2021, 02:05:50 PM »
Adams and Ruiz can also figure largely in the DH role, when that arrives. At this point, I think their offense is further along their defense/game calling.

Online imref

« Reply #369: August 31, 2021, 02:09:35 PM »
Rogelio Armenteros released, had been signed for pitching depth but was awful at Rochester.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #370: August 31, 2021, 05:16:05 PM »
Robles to AAA. Andrew Stevenson up.

Finnegan to Paternity Leave. No one on this board wants to know who's up.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #371: August 31, 2021, 05:24:20 PM »

Suero I hope.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #372: August 31, 2021, 05:25:57 PM »

well, well, Welch . . .   Intriguing.  Stevenson is a nice pairing for Thomas as a lefty.  I'm a bit surprised because the Nats are facing a lefty tonight and I thought we'd see Thomas in left and Robles in right.  I guess this is a vote for Yadi playing everyday as well as a wake up call to Robles.  He was losing playing time to Thomas.  If someone is to ride the bench and occasionally pinch hit, it might as well be a guy we expect to ride the bench who also pinch hits well.   

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #373: August 31, 2021, 05:26:43 PM »
Suero I hope.
it could be Rainey, men.  Hallelujah.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #374: August 31, 2021, 05:32:10 PM »
If they were going to send Robles to Triple A could have been done a month ago. He will still be the CF next year.