Author Topic: Roster Moves - 2021  (Read 15108 times)

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Re: Roster Moves - 2021
« Reply #275: August 02, 2021, 05:11:43 PM »
We have $66.5MM locked in among Strasburg, Corbin, and Harris per Cot's.  We have 2 guys beyond Arb-1 - Soto at Arb-2 for a super 2, and Bell at Arb 3.  Soto is coming off $8.5MM, Bell $6.35MM.  Figure Soto maybe $12.5MM and Bell $8.5MM?  Get's us up to $87-88MM.  Your number sounds about right. 

I could see us going above $140MM.  Figure a Charlie Morton type signing, plus a couple of Schwarber-priced position players to fill in around some kids. Maybe a veteran catcher to pair with Ruiz.  Maybe Hudson if he wants back, but no big closer buy if Finnegan looks reliable.  I think $160MM fields a competitive team that you can break up or add to, depending on whether things break badly or well.
Remember labor fight coming.

I expect these next couple months will tell a lot about what the Nationals plan on doing in 2022. If the team is scrappy and young pieces show life, they may go for it. If we end the season with guys like Garcia and Ruiz scuffling at plate and young pitchers being less than special, I expect they pass on any major additions this offseason,