Author Topic: MASN is killing Nat's fan base  (Read 5773 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: MASN is killing Nat's fan base
« Reply #75: May 03, 2021, 11:59:15 AM »
I seriously doubt this is anything COVID related.  And if it was, does FP strike you as the kind of guy not to let the world know what is going on?  MASN has sad nothing about it, contract tracing or not contact tracing.  FP has been silenced and MASN has proceeded as if the guy never existed.

it certainly is odd, I hope everything is ok with FP.  You'd think that if it was COVID related Kolko wouldn't be on TV either since they were in the booth together during FP's last game.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #76: May 03, 2021, 11:59:37 AM »
I seriously doubt this is anything COVID related.  And if it was, does FP strike you as the kind of guy not to let the world know what is going on?  MASN has sad nothing about it, contract tracing or not contact tracing.  FP has been silenced and MASN has proceeded as if the guy never existed.
I was thinking the same thing about FP not being shy about saying it was COVID related.  He also was vaccinated which would take away some of the tracing requirements, I'd think?

He was pretty hard on Kolko a couple times.  it didn't seem like anything that deserved anything beyond a "knock it off" and was mostly just ribbing the new guy kind of thing.  I don't know it there was something more behind the scenes?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #77: May 03, 2021, 12:37:48 PM »
I mean, FP has been known to live life to the fullest. Wouldnt surprise me if that caught up with him.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #78: May 03, 2021, 01:31:34 PM »

I hope it's not Covid related for a variety of reasons, but primarily from a health perspective.  Maybe he's he's getting  :dibbs: 'd.

Offline imref

« Reply #79: May 03, 2021, 02:30:33 PM »
At this point nobody is saying anything about FP. That neither MASN nor any of the reporters who cover the Nats are saying anything, and that FP's social media has gone dark, aren't good signs. I'd think again if it were COVID we would have heard something by now but who knows :shrug:

Offline hotshot

« Reply #80: May 03, 2021, 02:38:15 PM »
Anyone else recall a tweet from FP back in early March about his having procrastinated on a colonoscopy and that he was scared when he was now facing one due to things "not being right" with him. Later tweeted he was OK.

Hope this absence has nothing to do with that.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #81: May 03, 2021, 02:44:05 PM »
The first rule of FP is you don't talk about FP. 

Offline rileyn

« Reply #82: May 03, 2021, 04:43:13 PM »
Anyone else recall a tweet from FP back in early March about his having procrastinated on a colonoscopy and that he was scared when he was now facing one due to things "not being right" with him. Later tweeted he was OK.

Hope this absence has nothing to do with that.
Health related issues don't add up.  MASN wouldn't be totally ignoring him.  We would have that information and people would be reaching out wishing him the best. 

To me, this bizarre scenario must be a dispute with legal ramifications that nobody wants to touch with a ten foot pole.  Play by play announcers don't just vanish without a trace in-season.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #83: May 03, 2021, 04:56:50 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/05/03/fp-santangelo-nationals-broadcast-masn/

F.P. Santangelo, the Washington Nationals’ color commentator for the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, is on an unplanned break from the booth that has not been explained by the team or the network that employs him. His absence is not health-related, according to two people with knowledge of the situation, and MASN’s plans for Tuesday’s game against the Atlanta Braves are not yet clear.

In a short phone conversation Monday, Santangelo declined to answer questions about his absence, saying the Nationals would explain the situation. A Nationals spokeswoman then declined to comment, referring questions to MASN. A MASN spokesman declined to comment.

So odd.   Paulsen's Twitter replies say he has retired undefeated and FP will be back though.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #84: May 03, 2021, 05:02:47 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/05/03/fp-santangelo-nationals-broadcast-masn/

So odd.   Paulsen's Twitter replies say he has retired undefeated and FP will be back though.
Well that clears it up. 

Maybe he hit on Kolko?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #85: May 03, 2021, 05:04:14 PM »

Against my better judgement, I visited his twitter page, but I didn't see any reference to FP...

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #86: May 03, 2021, 05:16:06 PM »
Against my better judgement, I visited his twitter page, but I didn't see any reference to FP...

If you look at his Tweets & Replies, it's buried in there.

ie
https://twitter.com/granthpaulsen/status/1389047226614353920

Although, he might not know much.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #87: May 03, 2021, 08:21:30 PM »
This better not turn out to be like what happened with Larry Michael.

Offline catocony

« Reply #88: May 03, 2021, 09:48:28 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out what happened to Ray Knight. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #89: May 03, 2021, 10:47:18 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out what happened to Ray Knight. 

Didn't he get charged with assault or something?

Offline catocony

« Reply #90: May 04, 2021, 12:40:25 AM »
Yeah, it was very weird.  Some 3:00 AM fight in his condo with a much younger guy who was never identified. 

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #91: May 04, 2021, 11:19:00 AM »

Remember when Mikey Morse did the color work?

I Love the guy but I have to say, he was even worse than either of these two.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #92: May 04, 2021, 11:44:32 AM »
I Love the guy but I have to say, he was even worse than either of these two.
Oh yeah, he's a very likeable guy, but he was better at stealing bases than he was at color commentating.   He ventured into the so bad, he was kind of entertaining territory.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #93: May 04, 2021, 11:47:27 AM »
Play by play announcers don't just vanish without a trace in-season.

Play by play takes a good amount of talent and play by play announcers are not easily replaced.  But FP is not a play by play guy, he's the color commentator, and they're fairly easily replaced.

Offline imref

« Reply #94: May 04, 2021, 12:14:59 PM »
is draft kings taking bets on who does color tonight?

Offline machpost

« Reply #95: May 04, 2021, 12:47:01 PM »
Remember when Mikey Morse did the color work?

We were joking the other day about what sort of books with lots of pictures and few words Michael Morse would choose if he had a book club.

Offline imref

« Reply #96: May 04, 2021, 12:51:51 PM »
We were joking the other day about what sort of books with lots of pictures and few words Michael Morse would choose if he had a book club.

speaking of book clubs, i keep seeing the commercials for Josh Bell's club, he strikes me as someone who has quite the future in broadcasting once his playing days are over.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #97: May 04, 2021, 12:55:45 PM »
speaking of book clubs, i keep seeing the commercials for Josh Bell's club, he strikes me as someone who has quite the future in broadcasting once his playing days are over.
Or hitting coach.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #98: May 04, 2021, 03:33:55 PM »
FP just tweeted that he’s back tonight.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #99: May 04, 2021, 03:40:13 PM »
FP just tweeted that he’s back tonight.
and he's back on twitter.  curious if he says something tonight