Author Topic: MASN is killing Nat's fan base  (Read 5852 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Pee Wee Herman
« Reply #50: May 02, 2021, 03:56:37 PM »
Paulson was awesome in Ghostbusters and Little Shop of Horrors.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #51: May 02, 2021, 04:52:19 PM »
He's got one of those voices that make people attribute all sorts of attitudes to him. Met him on the street one day on the way to the Park. Could not have been a nicer dude.
:shrug:

Anyway, it’s Grant Paulson who hosts afternoons on 106.7. He’s done PxP for arena football, he hosts a baseball show on Sirius XM and done TV pre/post game for the Caps. He knows his stuff but his voice is hard to take sometimes.

And by sometimes I mean almost all the time.

Offline imref

« Reply #52: May 02, 2021, 04:56:50 PM »
He's got one of those voices that make people attribute all sorts of attitudes to him. Met him on the street one day on the way to the Park. Could not have been a nicer dude.

fwiw, I've enjoyed him on commentary, he seems to know his stuff and he's offering insightful comments.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #53: May 02, 2021, 04:57:43 PM »

Yep.  He's a good guy and one of the few folks in this market who has any ability to talk intelligently about baseball. 

Offline hotshot

« Reply #54: May 02, 2021, 06:21:14 PM »
Grant Paulsen is fantastic.  One of the few local journalists who really covers the nats.  He understands the modern game and all the analytics.  I'd love to have him in the booth full time.
He does know his stuff. OTOH, there's something wanting when it comes to him having a good radio "voice." Maybe for Wichita, but not for a major market like DC.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #55: May 02, 2021, 06:42:40 PM »
Grant Paulsen is fantastic.  One of the few local journalists who really covers the nats.  He understands the modern game and all the analytics.  I'd love to have him in the booth full time.
He talked about Robles upping his game and walking more this year and striking out less which makes him more qualified as a leadoff hitter.  Problem is if you are not hitting at all (and Robles has not been hitting) they will not pitch around you in the leadoff spot as they do batting 8th.  So I'm not sure he really understands the game.  Instead he seems to focus on on some stats while ignoring others that provide a bigger picture. 

Plus his voice is annoying. 

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #56: May 02, 2021, 09:09:27 PM »
He talked about Robles upping his game and walking more this year and striking out less which makes him more qualified as a leadoff hitter.  Problem is if you are not hitting at all (and Robles has not been hitting) they will not pitch around you in the leadoff spot as they do batting 8th.  So I'm not sure he really understands the game.  Instead he seems to focus on on some stats while ignoring others that provide a bigger picture. 

Plus his voice is annoying.
The TV color analyst is always a former Major Leaguer, right?  I heard Grant and Danny got a World Series ring -- they don't deserve it.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #57: May 02, 2021, 09:20:04 PM »
The TV color analyst is always a former Major Leaguer, right?  I heard Grant and Danny got a World Series ring -- they don't deserve it.

I wonder, as the LAC.  I think they did get a Stanley Cup ring like the Junkies.  They didn't deserve that either...

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #58: May 03, 2021, 04:39:39 AM »
All of the regular color analysts are. Most of the backups, too, although I didn't check every name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_Major_League_Baseball_broadcasters

Offline rileyn

Re: MASN is killing Nat's fan base
« Reply #59: May 03, 2021, 07:08:16 AM »
Really odd the FP (and his son) have not commented at all over social media.  Me thinks this is a contractual issue with MASN.  Maybe he hasn't been paid.  It's unlike FP to lay low.

Offline machpost

« Reply #60: May 03, 2021, 08:33:21 AM »
Now FP Santangelo has seemingly vanished from the face of the earth. I thought it was odd that Kolko more than once mentioned why Bob was out of the booth, but no acknowledgment of FP's whereabouts at all.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #61: May 03, 2021, 09:20:49 AM »
Czaban was supposed to have Grant on his show Saturday morning but said Grant had to cancel as he had to prep for the Nats game.  He said there was a COVID contact tracing issue with the Nats announcers.  So I will assume that's what it is and that they are safeguarding FP's privacy.  Until told otherwise. 

Offline machpost

« Reply #62: May 03, 2021, 09:23:29 AM »
Czaban was supposed to have Grant on his show Saturday morning but said Grant had to cancel as he had to prep for the Nats game.  He said there was a COVID contact tracing issue with the Nats announcers.  So I will assume that's what it is and that they are safeguarding FP's privacy.  Until told otherwise. 
Seems plausible.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #63: May 03, 2021, 09:55:01 AM »
I would imagine there's all sorts of employee relations issues if an employer were to disclose health information without the consent of the employee.  I know my workplace never disclosed actual individual names when there were positives and restrictions on building entry.  It got really odd early on when we were told there was a potential positive impacting the folks in my row of offices leading to a suggestion to quarantine.  we never knew who it was so we really did not know if we had been near that person. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #64: May 03, 2021, 09:55:07 AM »
Nice to hear an explanation that makes some sense. And by saying "contact tracing issue" you aren't violating HIPAA. Which would explain the silence.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #65: May 03, 2021, 10:05:33 AM »
well, if the inference is that there's a covid-related contact tracing issue or any other undisclosed health issue, I wish him well.  I almost feel like moving this to the when is it not good to be positive about something thread.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #66: May 03, 2021, 10:32:15 AM »
All that is fine. Here's whats bothering me: Kolko and Paulson are not nearly as good as Dave Jaegler. Jaegler has experience doing TV. He's more familar with the team than Maxwell or Paulson. He's better than anyone else that is available. And Pete Methurst is more than capable of doing baseball on WJFK with Charlie.

MASN is intentionally producing an inferior broadcast, likely in an effort to devalue the network in response  to the rulings against them.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #67: May 03, 2021, 10:34:46 AM »
All that is fine. Here's whats bothering me: Kolko and Paulson are not nearly as good as Dave Jaegler. Jaegler has experience doing TV. He's more familar with the team than Maxwell or Paulson. He's better than anyone else that is available. And Pete Methurst is more than capable of doing baseball on WJFK with Charlie.

MASN is intentionally producing an inferior broadcast, likely in an effort to devalue the network in response  to the rulings against them.

The teams select their own MASN broadcasters.

Dave doesn't work for MASN, so there may be some sort of contractual conflict anyway...

Remember when Mikey Morse did the color work?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #68: May 03, 2021, 10:35:35 AM »

Bringing in Maxwell and Paulsen last minute just tells me MASN doesn't give an absolute freak about the quality of broadcasts and you're right - it's intentionally devaluing the network. What an absolute joke of a network.

Nice to hear an explanation that makes some sense. And by saying "contact tracing issue" you aren't violating HIPAA. Which would explain the silence.

How does a COVID contact-tracing issue not impact Dan Kolko, though?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #69: May 03, 2021, 10:39:52 AM »
In fact, Dave works for the team. Which, at this point, may not be the least bit interested in helping MASN out.

Dave doesn't work for MASN, so there may be some sort of contractual conflict anyway...

Remember when Mikey Morse did the color work?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #70: May 03, 2021, 10:54:47 AM »

Neither does Kolko. There wasnt a contractual conflict last year. Or the year before that. Or the year before that. Or the year before that.

But all of the sudden its an issue? Im sure it has nothing to do with an appeals court upholding the ruling in favor of the Nationals this past offseason. Just like firing virtually everyone, airing only two ST games, and cutting pre/post game coverage had nothing to do with it.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #71: May 03, 2021, 10:55:13 AM »
In fact, Dave works for the team. Which, at this point, may not be the least bit interested in helping MASN out.

There is no way the team wants TV coverage this bad.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #72: May 03, 2021, 10:59:49 AM »
Neither does Kolko. There wasnt a contractual conflict last year. Or the year before that. Or the year before that. Or the year before that.

Blame the Lerners...

Offline rileyn

« Reply #73: May 03, 2021, 11:54:01 AM »
I seriously doubt this is anything COVID related.  And if it was, does FP strike you as the kind of guy not to let the world know what is going on?  MASN has sad nothing about it, contract tracing or not contact tracing.  FP has been silenced and MASN has proceeded as if the guy never existed.

Offline imref

« Reply #74: May 03, 2021, 11:58:26 AM »
Bob is back on Friday from chatter on twitter.