Author Topic: The Former Nationals Watch (2021)  (Read 13445 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: The Former Nationals Watch (2021)
« Reply #375: August 14, 2021, 01:13:55 AM »
Hand just did one of his usual jobs.  Gave up a bases loaded walk in the bottom of the ninth to rookie Jarred Kelenic, giving the Blue Jays a loss to the Mariners in Seattle.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #376: August 15, 2021, 09:34:29 PM »
Max and Trea putting on a show

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #377: August 15, 2021, 09:57:34 PM »
Trading Trea was so dumb. Sigh.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #378: August 15, 2021, 10:00:58 PM »
Trading Trea was so dumb. Sigh.

Why keep him. So the Nats could finish fourth in the NL East instead of 5th next year?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #379: August 15, 2021, 10:04:36 PM »
Why keep him. So the Nats could finish fourth in the NL East instead of 5th next year?
It is becoming very apparent how many fans are bandwagon fans and do not understand baseball

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #380: August 16, 2021, 06:40:51 PM »
It is becoming very apparent how many fans are bandwagon fans and do not understand baseball

Bandwagon fan because I didn’t want to trade Trea?

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #381: August 16, 2021, 06:46:48 PM »

The division isn’t great and it’s not exactly getting any better next year. Strasburg would be back, Gray would have more experience and maybe Corbin pitches out of this funk (I seriously doubt it) but then there’s Cavalli as well. So you would have a decent nucleus of Turner, Soto, Ruiz, Garcia, Keiboom etc and potentially better pitching plus the ability to add more talent in the off-season. Maybe by that point they could come to an agreement with Trea and keep him around but it is what it is. He’s a tremendous player and it’s disappointing that’s all.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #382: August 16, 2021, 06:50:44 PM »
The division isn’t great and it’s not exactly getting any better next year. Strasburg would be back, Gray would have more experience and maybe Corbin pitches out of this funk (I seriously doubt it) but then there’s Cavalli as well. So you would have a decent nucleus of Turner, Soto, Ruiz, Garcia, Keiboom etc and potentially better pitching plus the ability to add more talent in the off-season. Maybe by that point they could come to an agreement with Trea and keep him around but it is what it is. He’s a tremendous player and it’s disappointing that’s all.

You don’t get Gray or Gray if you don’t trade Turner. Also, I would not count on Strasburg being back at all, much less effective next year. The problem is the contracts of Strasburg and Corbin.
This team is bad. Very bad. You needed a reset and Turner was the most valuable asset that we could trade.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #383: August 16, 2021, 06:59:39 PM »

You don’t get Gray or Gray if you don’t trade Turner. Also, I would not count on Strasburg being back at all, much less effective next year. The problem is the contracts of Strasburg and Corbin.
This team is bad. Very bad. You needed a reset and Turner was the most valuable asset that we could trade.

Well, you would’ve had at least one of Gray or Ruiz. Scherzer was bringing back one of them. It’s one of those things that sucks I suppose. But you’re correct, the team was regressing and aging and the farm system had been picked clean for the most part. It doesn’t help matters when guys like Seth Romero are absolute busts. It’s just a situation of your head knows it’s the right thing but your heart wanted a different outcome.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #384: August 16, 2021, 07:13:03 PM »
Bandwagon fan because I didn’t want to trade Trea?
Yes. A failure to understand the Nationals situation.

Well, you would’ve had at least one of Gray or Ruiz. Scherzer was bringing back one of them. It’s one of those things that sucks I suppose. But you’re correct, the team was regressing and aging and the farm system had been picked clean for the most part. It doesn’t help matters when guys like Seth Romero are absolute busts. It’s just a situation of your head knows it’s the right thing but your heart wanted a different outcome.
No. The Dodgers definitely werent giving up Ruiz for Scherzer. Thats the whole reason Turner got included. He probably wasnt bring back Gray, since the name that was going around was Pepiot. So we'd still finish 5+ games out of the division. Scherzer, Gomes, Schwarber, and Hudson would all want to play for a good team. And Turner's agents would be demanding 300+ million because thats there job, and Turner's trade value would be significantly decreased going into a likely shortened season due to a CBA negogtiation.

Thats why they traded Turner. His value is never going to be higher. And his agents flat out told Rizzo they wanted to see what Seager and Correa got in free agency.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #385: August 16, 2021, 08:37:52 PM »
Yes. A failure to understand the Nationals situation.
No. The Dodgers definitely werent giving up Ruiz for Scherzer. Thats the whole reason Turner got included. He probably wasnt bring back Gray, since the name that was going around was Pepiot. So we'd still finish 5+ games out of the division. Scherzer, Gomes, Schwarber, and Hudson would all want to play for a good team. And Turner's agents would be demanding 300+ million because thats there job, and Turner's trade value would be significantly decreased going into a likely shortened season due to a CBA negogtiation.

Thats why they traded Turner. His value is never going to be higher. And his agents flat out told Rizzo they wanted to see what Seager and Correa got in free agency.

Okay. I’m a bandwagon fan because I didn’t want to trade the teams best player except I was saying they should sell while you were advocating trading Cavalli for Kris Bryant thinking that would win the division.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #386: August 16, 2021, 08:44:03 PM »
Okay. I’m a bandwagon fan because I didn’t want to trade the teams best player except I was saying they should sell while you were advocating trading Cavalli for Kris Bryant thinking that would win the division.
And suddenly Soto doesnt exist in the Nationals.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #387: August 16, 2021, 09:24:22 PM »

Not to but into your argument with Slate, but if you were advocating to sell, did you not expect this? From what we now know, Trea was basically gone after his big 2020. The Nats offered him something that actually WAS going market rate before 2020, and he bet on himself (Good for him). With the big 2020 his value greatly outpaced what the Nats were willing to pay. Looking back at the Harper negotiations, once Harper walked away from the deal, the anats took that money and payed it out to other players, mostly Patrick Corbin. They did the same thing with Rendon and pivoted that money to Strasburg. They weren't likely to pay Trea 300+ AND pay Soto. No offense to Trea, but Soto's bat is significantly more valuable AND the dude is 22. Trea at 120M-150M would have worked, but once he played his way into Lindor money, he was gone. So if you were saying SELL, Trea was destined to be sold.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #388: August 18, 2021, 12:36:09 AM »
Tyler Clipcraps just had a typical outing.  He saved the game vs. the Phillies, giving up one run in the 9th, and leaving the tying run on 2nd base. 
Why are the Diamondbacks wasting a valuable roster spot on Clipcraps?

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #389: August 18, 2021, 10:33:36 AM »
Tyler Clipcraps just had a typical outing.  He saved the game vs. the Phillies, giving up one run in the 9th, and leaving the tying run on 2nd base. 
Why are the Diamondbacks wasting a valuable roster spot on Clipcraps?

D-backs winning seems dumb, they are going to lose their number 1 pick to the BlOs.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #390: August 19, 2021, 01:51:02 AM »

D-backs winning seems dumb, they are going to lose their number 1 pick to the BlOs.
Clipcrapz had another save tonight.  Dumb again. 

Offline imref

« Reply #391: August 21, 2021, 10:47:55 AM »
Bringing back Schwarber wouldn't be the worst thing: .462 / .611 / .692 with Boston so far. (5 games, 18 PAs)

Offline rileyn

« Reply #392: August 21, 2021, 11:53:52 AM »
Bringing back Schwarber wouldn't be the worst thing: .462 / .611 / .692 with Boston so far. (5 games, 18 PAs)
I would say Schwarber is the most likely come back.  Harrison too if we are looking for a veteran utility man.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #393: August 21, 2021, 03:10:15 PM »
And suddenly Soto doesnt exist in the Nationals.

Yes. Soto's contract ends in 2024. If the Nats are supposed to be in all-out rebuild mode until 2023, then, yes, suddenly Soto will not exist. Unless he signs an extension, then the Nats will need to make him not exist at the end of the 2023 season. Otherwise, they get no return.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #394: August 24, 2021, 04:12:19 PM »
Reds DFA Sean Doolittle.

Offline imref

« Reply #395: August 26, 2021, 07:59:56 PM »
Reds DFA Sean Doolittle.

And the Mariners claim him.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #396: August 27, 2021, 10:08:05 PM »
Folks don't look now, but Reynaldo Lopez may be back. He spent most of this year in AAA but the White Sox called him up a few weeks ago, have used him as a spot starter and long reliever, and he's been lights out.

Today after Dallas Keuchel gave up 6 runs to the Cubs in the first inning, Lopez came in to pitch and has pitched 3 easy scoreless innings thus far.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #397: August 28, 2021, 11:03:53 AM »
Folks don't look now, but Reynaldo Lopez may be back. He spent most of this year in AAA but the White Sox called him up a few weeks ago, have used him as a spot starter and long reliever, and he's been lights out.

Today after Dallas Keuchel gave up 6 runs to the Cubs in the first inning, Lopez came in to pitch and has pitched 3 easy scoreless innings thus far.
The White Sox coverted him to a reliever and he has a sub 1 ERA in 19 innings

Offline Slateman

« Reply #398: August 29, 2021, 08:34:42 PM »
Luzardo vs. Reds in his first start wearing glasses: 6.0 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 0 ER, 8 K

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #399: August 29, 2021, 08:41:54 PM »
Much better fit
And the Mariners claim him.