Author Topic: The Former Nationals Watch (2021)  (Read 13439 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Re: The Former Nationals Watch (2021)
« Reply #150: April 02, 2021, 01:59:01 PM »
Well yeah, except that the Pirates got a better player than Lopez plus the low-A guy (who you might not have heard of, but prospect-followers sure had) almost immediately became a AA all-star and was traded for Keone Kela, who was already an established reliever and better and cheaper than Melancon.  Rivero/Vasquez's criminality is the only thing that stopped that trade from being an enormous win for Pittsburgh. 
Hearn was a flier. Lopez popped in a way no one expected. Like the Eaton trade, it was a win now move. Melancon wasn't the reason we lost the NLDS.

And I have no idea what metric you place Kela above Melancon, but we'll have to agree to disagree. Melancon was definitely in 2016 a better player than Kela ever was or has been. If you mean in 2018, Kela was better than Melancon, then yes. Melancon was pretty average in 2018. But during a win now move in 2016 you run risk in a few years you'd wish the players were reversed.

I don't think the Pirate got trash. Not trying to say that. They had other offers on the table and definitely saw value in Lopez and Hearn on their timeline or they wouldn't have taken the Nats offer. I'm just laughing there was reporting it would take Lucas Giolito and the eventual haul was much less.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #151: April 02, 2021, 02:04:54 PM »
The Melancon trade, the Doolittle/Madsen deal, and the Eaton deal are why we regard the Nats pitching development so negatively.   Rivero (Sanchez), Hearn, Luzardo, Treinen, Dunning, Lopez, and Giolito are or have all been major leaguers, one is already a Cy Young contender while another is regarded as a #1 level arm, and there are two guys who have had stretches as premium, all-star caliber closers.  I'm not arguing any of those were deals that provided zero help to the Nats, but they reveal perhaps a flaw in our self-scouting.  Imagine if Fedde had been included instead of Treinen?  I think it's a stretch to say Fedde instead of Giolito or Luzardo, who I suspect both Rizzo and the opponent GMs knew was higher end than Fedde or Romero (if he was around), but it is hard for me to imagine all these guys would have been busts under our minor league development system.
I'm currently raging on "The Farm" about the Nationals minor leagues.

For almost a decade, some posters, me included, claimed Nationals lack of home grown pitching was due to Rizzo tossing out midlevel guys in win now trade. The current farm system garbage is just poor scouting, poor development, everything. It's embarrassing.

For the record, I would go back today and doing the Doolittle/Madson and Melancon trades again today. We made them both during win now seasons. And the Doolittle trade he was cost controlled for a few years and did play a part in a Championship. But that still doesn't excuse our trash minor league system past few years, excluding Soto being a gift from the baseball gods.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #152: April 02, 2021, 02:19:32 PM »
Hearn was a flier. Lopez popped in a way no one expected. Like the Eaton trade, it was a win now move. Melancon wasn't the reason we lost the NLDS.

And I have no idea what metric you place Kela above Melancon, but we'll have to agree to disagree. Melancon was definitely in 2016 a better player than Kela ever was or has been. If you mean in 2018, Kela was better than Melancon, then yes. Melancon was pretty average in 2018. But during a win now move in 2016 you run risk in a few years you'd wish the players were reversed.

I don't think the Pirate got trash. Not trying to say that. They had other offers on the table and definitely saw value in Lopez and Hearn on their timeline or they wouldn't have taken the Nats offer. I'm just laughing there was reporting it would take Lucas Giolito and the eventual haul was much less.

When the Pirates acquired Kela, he was a better player than Melancon was after they traded him - Melancon had essentially two decent months with the Nats and then went into the tank on a huge contract with the Giants.  Same logic you just applied: he was much better on their timelines; flipping Hearn for Kela was a lot better than Melancon at that point, especially given what Melancon was getting paid then.   I'm with you on the Giolito ask, but sprewing crap like that is often a useful way to start negotiations. 

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #153: April 02, 2021, 05:24:36 PM »
Pedro Severino was 2 for 4 with a run scored, and called a 2-hitter against the Red Sox.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #154: April 03, 2021, 12:54:27 PM »
Adam Eaton is 2 for 8 with a home run and 3 RBIs to start the season

Michael Taylor brought his torrid ST with him to OD, going 3-for-5 with a solo home run and three RBI

Offline Slateman

« Reply #155: April 03, 2021, 03:32:59 PM »
Taylor with a 458ft bomb to center

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #156: April 03, 2021, 04:00:32 PM »
Taylor with a 458ft bomb to center
MAT doubles with the bases loaded and no outs in the 6th; two more RBI for him.

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #157: April 03, 2021, 04:04:59 PM »
Pedro Severino is 2 for 4 with a double and another run scored, and called another winning game over the Red Sox at Fenway, though the game almost got away from the Orioles' closer in the 9th.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #158: April 03, 2021, 04:11:46 PM »
MAT doubles with the bases loaded and no outs in the 6th; two more RBI for him.
Dude goes to KC and hits like its the postseason

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #159: April 03, 2021, 04:28:00 PM »
Pedro Severino is 2 for 4 with a double and another run scored, and called another winning game over the Red Sox at Fenway, though the game almost got away from the Orioles' closer in the 9th.
I always overrate Nationals prospects but from his AA days I was screaming for Severino to get more ABs and even when he was in majors I wanted him to get more days. I knew he’d do well.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #160: April 03, 2021, 04:31:28 PM »
With a double and a homer in today's game, Michael A. Taylor has set a franchise record by driving in 6 runs during his first two games as a Kansas City Royal. Nobody has done that before, not Mike Sweeney, not George Brett, not Carlos Beltran, not Danny Tartabull. Of course it's not usually a franchise that brings in big sluggers like MAT via free agency.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #162: April 04, 2021, 09:21:05 AM »

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/1378429886814126083
Michael A. Taylor homers (2): fly ball to CF(solo)

Hit: 458ft💣, 111.4mph🔥, 27°🚀

Pitch: 91.5mph Sinker (RHP Kohei Arihara, 1)
Excuse me, KCPD, I'd like to report a freaking murder at Kauffman Stadium

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #163: April 04, 2021, 12:21:54 PM »
Tommy Milone up with the Blue Jays. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #164: April 04, 2021, 01:41:37 PM »
Tommy Milone up with the Blue Jays. 

he's managed to scratch out a decent career in the majors.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #165: April 04, 2021, 05:57:53 PM »
he's managed to scratch out a decent career in the majors.
looking at Cot's, he has 7.113 years of service time, and he may have earned over $10 million.

Offline imref

« Reply #166: April 04, 2021, 06:37:43 PM »
looking at Cot's, he has 7.113 years of service time, and he may have earned over $10 million.

And he’ll always be remembered for jacking the first pitch he ever saw as a major leaguer

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #167: April 04, 2021, 06:41:37 PM »
Dusty leading his trash can boys to a 4 game sweep of the As.  Why couldn't they have caught the virus?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #168: April 05, 2021, 08:08:04 PM »
Nick Pivetta pitching with a lead tonight.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #169: April 06, 2021, 09:25:39 AM »
Wilmer Difo got jacked, but he still can't make contact.

Offline slhubic

« Reply #170: April 06, 2021, 11:33:53 PM »
I've always liked MAT, and want him to do well (I was hoping my 'jays' would have signed him)...

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #171: April 07, 2021, 09:09:25 AM »
Trevor Rosenthal, and $11 million free agent, is seeing surgeons because of a bad shoulder. Expected to be out for months, says The Athletic:

April 6, 2021Updated 8:41 PM EDT

A’s Trevor Rosenthal visited surgeon, could be out for months

By Ken Rosenthal and Alex Coffey

Athletics reliever Trevor Rosenthal visited a doctor on Tuesday in Dallas to examine his right shoulder, according to manager Bob Melvin.

According to The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal, the reliever will undergo more tests on Wednesday. He could be sidelined for three to four months if surgery is needed.

Rosenthal, who signed a one-year, $11 million deal with Oakland in the offseason, was expected to be the team’s closer. The 30-year-old posted a 1.93 ERA across 23 appearances with the Royals and Padres last season.

Oakland is 0-5 this season, its worst start since 1987. The A’s continue its series with the Dodgers on Tuesday.

This is a developing story. More to come.

What this means for the A's

Rosenthal was their marquee free agent of the offseason. They signed him to a one-year $11 million deal, with money backloaded through 2023, which they won't get back (which is a big deal for a team that's operating at just over $83 million). At the time, their signing of Rosenthal, who was also being courted by the Mets, was a sign that they were pushing to take the AL West title for a second straight year. With this injury, on top of injuries that have sidelined Matt Olson, Chad Pinder, and Burch Smith, their ability to contend is in question.

On the A's start

Coffey: This 0-5 start is a historically bad one for the A's (they haven't started 0-5 since 1987) and they look predictably uninspired, and frankly, lost. It seems that things that they can normally count on — defensive positioning, a lights-out bullpen, an errorless-Matt Chapman — they have not been able to count on. What's worse is that they aren't scoring runs, and the starting rotation has combined for a 9.82 ERA. It won't get easier from here: two more games against the Dodgers, and then a three-game series against Houston. It's still early, but they're digging themselves into quite a hole.

What's next for the A's

Coffey: In short: the A's don't have a closer. The ability to use Rosenthal at the back end freed Melvin up to use his veteran set-up pieces before Rosenthal — Jake Diekman, J.B. Wendelken, Sergio Romo — and now those pieces will have to be mixed and matched to fill this hole. Smith was also placed on the IL today, and he was one of their most dominant arms last year (albeit in a small sample size).

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #172: April 07, 2021, 10:54:10 PM »
AssCab looks happy and jovial at Coors tonight.  He also has the waistline of a big Coors fan.

Offline imref

« Reply #173: April 07, 2021, 11:35:55 PM »
Trevor Rosenthal, and $11 million free agent, is seeing surgeons because of a bad shoulder. Expected to be out for months, says The Athletic:

Seems thoracic outlet surgery is the new TJ

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #174: April 08, 2021, 02:59:46 PM »
Ross Detwiler sighting.

I'm pretty sure that's the international law definition of a "highly migratory species" or "Edwin Jackson."