Author Topic: When is it not good to be positive about something? COVID & the Nats  (Read 13282 times)

Offline nfotiu

https://twitter.com/dougherty_jesse/status/1378364924548775936

No new positives yesterday.   I guess if they keep that trend through the weekend, they'll play Monday, but be down 9 players.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
https://twitter.com/dougherty_jesse/status/1378364924548775936

No new positives yesterday.   I guess if they keep that trend through the weekend, they'll play Monday, but be down 9 players.
I saw that there may be an issue with Muriel vs. MLB.  MLB would allow an exposed player back in 7 days if he tests negative 5 days after exposure, which I think is the current CDC guidance.  DC rules are 10 days quarantine.  Since the exposure was Monday, most likely, today's test is key to whether the 5 in quarantine are eligible Monday.  If they are, and DC allows the MLB rule to apply, then the game Monday probably goes forward with Clay, Yadiel, Barrera, and Garcia up to fill for the 4 positives (just a guess, but those were the announced call ups so I'm assuming a pitcher, infielder, outfielder, and a catcher are the ones who were positive).  However, if DC digs in, or if there's more positives, then I think the Braves series is postponed.   

Offline nfotiu

I saw that there may be an issue with Muriel vs. MLB.  MLB would allow an exposed player back in 7 days if he tests negative 5 days after exposure, which I think is the current CDC guidance.  DC rules are 10 days quarantine.  Since the exposure was Monday, most likely, today's test is key to whether the 5 in quarantine are eligible Monday.  If they are, and DC allows the MLB rule to apply, then the game Monday probably goes forward with Clay, Yadiel, Barrera, and Garcia up to fill for the 4 positives (just a guess, but those were the announced call ups so I'm assuming a pitcher, infielder, outfielder, and a catcher are the ones who were positive).  However, if DC digs in, or if there's more positives, then I think the Braves series is postponed.   
Wouldn't the MLB clock start over on the exposed with the positive tests Thursday?   

I think they'll probably go on Monday even if they are down 9 or more players as long as they feel confident they've contained all the people exposed.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Wouldn't the MLB clock start over on the exposed with the positive tests Thursday?   

I think they'll probably go on Monday even if they are down 9 or more players as long as they feel confident they've contained all the people exposed.
I think the clock would start from the date of exposure, which I suspect would last be the flight up from WPB and the busride in from Dulles.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Getting ready to fly back to Texas this evening so I can make Easter morning with the family (someone has to hide the Easter eggs all over the yard in the middle of the night for the kids). Pretty frustrating to say the least. No Opening Day... nothing about a refund on tickets... kinda sick to my stomach about how things have played out.
COVID sucks, I’m sorry. Nothing else can be said.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Confirmed by team. What a crap show.

I'm going to go watch the Pirates play to watch future multiple time MVP Ke'Bryan Hayes hit dingers left and right.
And Hayes got hurt.

I have nothing left to watch baseball for.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
And Hayes got hurt.

Uh .... be like me and watch the Angels. Between Ohtani, Trout, and Rendon, theres plenty to root for

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Online imref

Nats pitchers cleared to throw tonight at the park per Dougherty

Offline rugbyflanker

• OllllllO
And Hayes got hurt.

You could watch MAT light it up in KC...

Offline nfotiu

A reminder that it could be worse: 14 Canucks on the COVID list, some are “very ill”

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2021/04/03/half-of-the-vancouver-canucks-roster-are-on-the-covid-list-some-are-very-ill/
The Brazil variant is ravaging that province.   It seems to spread far more quickly and make younger people much sicker.  My 73 you mom lives there and still weeks away from getting her first vaccine.

Offline GataNats

The year includes pre and post Covid. He should be having a career year. He’s like 22.

He’s a vastly overrated player.   He’s not having a career year.  His team sucks

Offline USF_Football

Happy Easter everyone from San Antonio... eggs are hidden. Any word on what day we’re going to see our Nationals play?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Sigh.

Happy Easter everyone from San Antonio... eggs are hidden. Any word on what day we’re going to see our Nationals play?

Offline Natsinpwc

Happy Easter.

April for sure!!

Offline hotshot

Here is the latest I have seen.

https://twitter.com/dougherty_jesse/status/1378701212967665666
So ... Jesse names Schwarber, Harrison, Lester and Avila as players unavailable next week, then says these may or may not be the players testing positive? Did I read that right?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
So ... Jesse names Schwarber, Harrison, Lester and Avila as players unavailable next week, then says these may or may not be the players testing positive? Did I read that right?

There is a group that’s positive and a group that’s not positive, but has been exposed to positive people. Both will be unavailable, especially early on. It is not known which group they above players fall into.

Offline nfotiu

So can Bell or Zimmerman play left field, 2nd base or 3rd base (w Castro at 2nd)?

Online imref

Yadiel in RF, Soto in LF, Garcia at 2nd, and Lucroy as the backup catcher to start the season.

Didn't Sam Clay get called up too? That would mean either Hand or Avilan are on the COVID list too.

Online imref

Here's the latest from Rizzo via Zuck:

https://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2021/04/nats-still-wait-for-word-about-monday-as-list-grows-to-11.html

General manager Mike Rizzo, during an afternoon Zoom session with reporters, said one more player and one more staff member have been placed in mandatory quarantine after the D.C. Department of Health deemed them close contacts to those who previously tested positive for COVID-19. That brings the total number of people currently unavailable to 13: four players who tested positive, plus seven players and two staffers designated as close contacts.

No new positive tests since Friday, Rizzo said they are prepared to play on Monday. No-one is showing any symptoms which is the best news of all.

Offline nfotiu

Yadiel in RF, Soto in LF, Garcia at 2nd, and Lucroy as the backup catcher to start the season.

Didn't Sam Clay get called up too? That would mean either Hand or Avilan are on the COVID list too.
With all those guys out, I think you’d want to do what you can to get bell and zim in the batting lineup.  Am I remembering wrong or did Zimmerman play some left field 2-3 years ago?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
With all those guys out, I think you’d want to do what you can to get bell and zim in the batting lineup.  Am I remembering wrong or did Zimmerman play some left field 2-3 years ago?
He was atrocious and his arm is even more of a noodle right now

Offline nfotiu

He was atrocious and his arm is even more of a noodle right now
How often does an average arm vs noodle arm in LF come into play?  If he can hit anything like spring, it's worth trying out for a few games.

Offline Duke of Earl

Zimmerman played a bunch of games in left, but that was way back in 2014.  Bell played outfield in 2016.