Author Topic: When is it not good to be positive about something? COVID & the Nats  (Read 13281 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Inference for pro athletes who get Covid is unfortunately that they were doing something in their private life that was of questionable judgment.
That's unfair. We need to stop morally shaming people who get COVID. I've never gotten it, but still I disagree with saying people did something "wrong" to get COVID. Many people doing their absolute best to avoid it and still contracted the disease.

Now, if we have players who declined the vaccine, maybe they shoulder some burden.

Offline Duke of Earl

I don't see them doing anything out of the ordinary...people who bought tickets for Monday should get to use those if there is a game.
Well that right there would be out of the ordinary.  It's a long-held tradition  that if a fan has opening day tickets, those tickets are good for the first game. Thus if the Opener is delayed and then played on a date when there is another game scheduled, the scheduled game is postponed.  This happens rarely because most of the time no game is scheduled for the day after the Opener, so if it's played that day, no problem. But it has happened.

And if you  want to say, but the fans holding tickets for the scheduled game are going to be really pissed .... yeah, they're going to be really pissed.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Well that right there would be out of the ordinary.  It's a long-held tradition  that if a fan has opening day tickets, those tickets are good for the first game. Thus if the Opener is delayed and then played on a date when there is another game scheduled, the scheduled game is postponed.  This happens rarely because most of the time no game is scheduled for the day after the Opener, so if it's played that day, no problem. But it has happened.

And if you  want to say, but the fans holding tickets for the scheduled game are going to be really pissed .... yeah, they're going to be really pissed.

How often is it days later against a different team though. I don't care, I've got tickets to both games. But you can't really postpone a game that was played.

Offline Natsinpwc

So when has this actually happened and what was done by other teams? Does anyone have any actual facts on this?

Offline Duke of Earl

How often is it days later against a different team though.
I can recall a "days later" situation. (When MLK was murdered, the Senators Monday Opening Game was moved to Wednesday.  I had tickets for the Monday Opener, and they were honored on Wednesday.)  I cannot recall a "different team" situation but I don't see that it makes any difference.  The scheduled game would be postponed and played at a later date.

Offline Duke of Earl

So when has this actually happened and what was done by other teams? Does anyone have any actual facts on this?
See  my previous response.

Offline Natsinpwc

I can recall a "days later" situation. (When MLK was murdered, the Senators Monday Opening Game was moved to Wednesday.  I had tickets for the Monday Opener, and they were honored on Wednesday.)  I cannot recall a "different team" situation but I don't see that it makes any difference.  The scheduled game would be postponed and played at a later date.
Yea but the Senators probably had room to accommodate fans with tickets for both games. Even in pre Covid days the Nats opener would be sold out so that’s not possible. Any other more recent examples? 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I mean if the most recent example was was over a half century ago, maybe it's not exactly precedent we should be following?

And the different team thing does make a difference. If they "postpone" that game there is no game to offer the people ticketed for the game you voided. That game will have been played?

Offline Duke of Earl

Yea but the Senators probably had room to accommodate fans with tickets for both games. Even in pre Covid days the Nats opener would be sold out so that’s not possible. Any other more recent examples?
Senators sold out the Opening Game every year. (Then there were 2,000 people at the second game.)  I picked at random 1966. See the box score:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/WS2/WS2196604110.shtml
Attendance: 44,468.

Offline Duke of Earl

And the different team thing does make a difference. If they "postpone" that game there is no game to offer the people ticketed for the game you voided. That game will have been played?
I don't follow.  Games are postponed (for rain, for example) and re-scheduled. I don't see what's different about this situation.  If they postpone the Monday Braves game, they could play it on Thursday. Nats are off, I haven't checked the Braves schedule but if they have a game that day, the postponed game can be played later in the season.

I don't know what you mean by "that game will have been played".

Offline Natsinpwc

Senators sold out the Opening Game every year. (Then there were 2,000 people at the second game.)  I picked at random 1966. See the box score:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/WS2/WS2196604110.shtml
Attendance: 44,468.
Yea so that’s what I mean. You basically have the same number of tickets sold for each of these early games due to Covid.

I don’t think there is a right or wrong here.  The Nats would catch flak either way. It’s unfortunate.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I don't follow.  Games are postponed (for rain, for example) and re-scheduled. I don't see what's different about this situation.  If they postpone the Monday Braves game, they could play it on Thursday. Nats are off, I haven't checked the Braves schedule but if they have a game that day, the postponed game can be played later in the season.

I don't know what you mean by "that game will have been played".

Because typically what happens is someone holds a ticket to Nats vs Braves, and it's postponed, the game they get to go to is also Nats vs Braves is because that game is scheduled at a later date. In this case. People with a ticket for Monday's game will have tickets for Nats vs Braves. Nats and Braves will still play. There is now, not a future game for them to go to because that game will have been played on April 5th. And they might not want to see the Mets.

Offline Natsinpwc

Because typically what happens is someone holds a ticket to Nats vs Braves, and it's postponed, the game they get to go to is also Nats vs Braves is because that game is scheduled at a later date. In this case. People with a ticket for Monday's game will have tickets for Nats vs Braves. Nats and Braves will still play. There is now, not a future game for them to go to because that game will have been played on April 5th. And they might not want to see the Mets.
Won’t they get a rain check or something similar for any future game?

Offline Duke of Earl

Ok I get it. Makes sense.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Won’t they get a rain check or something similar for any future game?

If they don’t allow ticket holders access to the game they paid for, they will have to give a refund. Which I’m sure the Nats do not want to do.

Offline CowherPower

If they don’t allow ticket holders access to the game they paid for, they will have to give a refund. Which I’m sure the Nats do not want to do.

Yea, I agree.  The fact that they will now be playing a different team on Monday makes a huge difference.  I'm feeling a little more confident that my Monday tickets will be honored (assuming that they actually play on Monday).  Fingers crossed!!  But I feel bad for anyone who shelled out a ton of cash for the Thursday game (or traveled to DC for the game)

Offline HalfSmokes

Yea, I agree.  The fact that they will now be playing a different team on Monday makes a huge difference.  I'm feeling a little more confident that my Monday tickets will be honored (assuming that they actually play on Monday).  Fingers crossed!!  But I feel bad for anyone who shelled out a ton of cash for the Thursday game (or traveled to DC for the game)

I would think people buying on the secondary market this year will be using a service that refunds for cancellations or postponements

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
Just let 10k people in for one game at least.   It seems easy enough to social distance people with 3 of 4 seats empty.
I have tickets to neither series, and am still in denial.  We Nats fans deserve better than this -- zero baseball on OD weekend.  Our team let us down in a big way.  This must be some sort of weird ongoing payback for the 2019 post season.  I'm officially tired of watching those reruns on my DVR.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I have tickets to neither series, and am still in denial.  We Nats fans deserve better than this -- zero baseball on OD weekend.  Our team let us down in a big way.  This must be some sort of weird ongoing payback for the 2019 post season.  I'm officially tired of watching those reruns on my DVR.
Lol "deserve"

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
Lol "deserve"
There's a memorable line with that word in the movie Unforgiven -- "Deserve's Got Nothin' To Do With It."

Offline USF_Football

Getting ready to fly back to Texas this evening so I can make Easter morning with the family (someone has to hide the Easter eggs all over the yard in the middle of the night for the kids). Pretty frustrating to say the least. No Opening Day... nothing about a refund on tickets... kinda sick to my stomach about how things have played out.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Getting ready to fly back to Texas this evening so I can make Easter morning with the family (someone has to hide the Easter eggs all over the yard in the middle of the night for the kids). Pretty frustrating to say the least. No Opening Day... nothing about a refund on tickets... kinda sick to my stomach about how things have played out.

Focus on the family. Baseball isn’t that important in the grand scheme of things.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
not sure when the twins are due, but if you are free mid-September, then maybe you can make the meet and greet for your game this year. Safe travels & happy Easter!

Offline Natsinpwc

Have a great Easter. Don’t worry about things out of your control. Water over the dam. Or under the bridge.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Texas brisket > baseball