Author Topic: When is it not good to be positive about something? COVID & the Nats  (Read 13294 times)

Offline miller10

I really think they should just play the games with who they have available (bring up as many AAA guys as needed).  Serves some sort of punishment for teams as well as gets those games in.

Offline Natsinpwc

I really think they should just play the games with who they have available (bring up as many AAA guys as needed).  Serves some sort of punishment for teams as well as gets those games in.
I have not been clear over the past couple of months with the NHL how many players are needed to play.  Same now with MLB. One would think there would be an article discussing this.  I think the risk of passing to the other team seems very low. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I just don't want a big chunk of the team to get it. I'm concerned when we look at the history of athletes after COVID, Russell Westbrook and Jayson Tatum to name a few.
to my knowledge, the pro athlete with the most severe effect might have  been Eduardo Rodriguez, Red Sox LHP, whose heart developed a condition that forced him to miss all of last year.  I think Goebert still talks about long haul symptoms.  Several pro cyclists have had it, including most recently the most popular and arguably the best male, Peter Sagan.  I hope the positives get the best care, like Regeneron, if their condition calls for it.  The monoclonal antibodies are underused.   

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Ironically, the Marlins had their best season since 2003 after having a massive outbreak and deliberately flaunting the rule.  The Cards were another team that broke rules on the road and had an outbreak, which is probably why 85% of the team lined up shots down in Florida. 

It's a long enough season that these can be treated as rainouts.  If it is individual violations rather than team, or no violations and just bad luck, then forcing a team to  put on a non-major league product is overkill, I/M/O.  Who knows, it might have been an asymptomatic cleaning crew member that coughed in somebody's room that started this.

Offline 1995hoo

I have not been clear over the past couple of months with the NHL how many players are needed to play.  Same now with MLB. One would think there would be an article discussing this.  I think the risk of passing to the other team seems very low. 

I don’t think the NHL has been particularly clear about it. There seems to be some arbitrariness and inconsistency, though in the Caps' case I have a feeling the reason they were made to play was because it was the four Russians who deliberately broke the road trip protocols, rather than an apparent unexplained outbreak. It does seem that hockey poses a higher risk of transmission to the other team than baseball would, although on the other hand if someone who’s a carrier but doesn’t know it plays, presumably he risks spreading it to the opposing catcher and home plate umpire, and then to the first baseman if he gets on base (perhaps a greater risk of spreading it there if he has to run hard and is therefore breathing a bit more heavily?) ....

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Uh ... Jayson Tatum is having a career year.

Offline Natsinpwc

Ironically, the Marlins had their best season since 2003 after having a massive outbreak and deliberately flaunting the rule.  The Cards were another team that broke rules on the road and had an outbreak, which is probably why 85% of the team lined up shots down in Florida. 

It's a long enough season that these can be treated as rainouts.  If it is individual violations rather than team, or no violations and just bad luck, then forcing a team to  put on a non-major league product is overkill, I/M/O.  Who knows, it might have been an asymptomatic cleaning crew member that coughed in somebody's room that started this.
I’m not clear that the Cards got shots in Florida. The article I read said they were getting them  Monday night. Wouldn’t they have been back in St Louis by then? In any event I hope the Nats and other teams get as soon as possible.

Offline Natsinpwc

Uh ... Jayson Tatum is having a career year.

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2021/03/16/boston-celtics-jayson-tatum-pre-covid/

He was on pace for a monster season before Covid. He is now starting to regain his form.

Offline Slateman

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2021/03/16/boston-celtics-jayson-tatum-pre-covid/

He was on pace for a monster season before Covid. He is now starting to regain his form.
Post-Covid, he's having a career year. He's scoring about 2pts less than he did pre-covid.

Also Freeman won the MVP after getting COVID.

Offline Natsinpwc

Post-Covid, he's having a career year. He's scoring about 2pts less than he did pre-covid.

The year includes pre and post Covid. He should be having a career year. He’s like 22.

Offline HalfSmokes

I worry about Zimmerman

Offline Slateman

The year includes pre and post Covid. He should be having a career year. He’s like 22.

He is having a career year.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
He should have had shots by now

I worry about Zimmerman

Offline hotshot

Zuck with some updates:

https://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2021/04/an-attempt-to-answer-some-questions-about-the-nats-situation.html

"... the affected players have not chosen to release their names."

If they had the "regular" flu, they'd have no qualms. In these times, though, probably worried about being "blamed" and verbally called out,  or worse.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
It's not like it's the clap...

If they had the "regular" flu, they'd have no qualms. In these times, though, probably worried about being "blamed" and verbally called out,  or worse.

Offline Duke of Earl

For a whole year now, public figures have gotten Covid and publicly said so.  I can't think of even one who's been "blamed". What's the big deal?

Offline UMDNats

yeah it's weird to me that they are adamant we don't know who exactly has it. like, you could get it at the grocery store? unless there was a dude going to clubs and sucking in loose cigarette air aggressively it's not a big deal

Offline nfotiu

I wish Hipaa and privacy concerns were bypassed for this pandemic.  We're all in this together.   It's frustrating when I get messages that someone on my kids baseball team tested positive or in their school, but they won't say who.   It would be helpful to know which kid it was to determine the risks and precautions my son should be taking.

These baseball players are going to be outed anyway when we see who is not on the field when they resume.

Offline CowherPower

I just heard from my Nats ticket rep and she said an email should be coming out shortly, but it sounded like no firm plan has been decided yet.

Did anyone get an email from the Nats yesterday?  My rep said they sent out a "hold tight - we're still figuring things out" type of email around 2pm yesterday but I didn't receive anything.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Did anyone get an email from the Nats yesterday?  My rep said they sent out a "hold tight - we're still figuring things out" type of email around 2pm yesterday but I didn't receive anything.

Me neither.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I got an email at 2:05 yesterday that said

Tonight’s scheduled game between the Nationals and Mets has been postponed because of ongoing contact tracing involving members of the Nationals organization.

Out of an abundance of caution, the game will not be made up on Friday. We will provide ticketholders with information about rescheduling the game as soon as plans are finalized. We thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through this evolving situation.

Your Washington Nationals

This is just typical boilerplate.

Offline CowherPower

I got an email at 2:05 yesterday that said...

This is just typical boilerplate.

Thanks for sharing the e-mail.  The million-dollar question in my mind is who will get the tickets whenever they play their first game.  For example, if MLB decides to postpone the entire first series, then the first game will be on Monday against the Braves.  In that event, will they let the Thursday ticket-holders go to that game (who paid a premium for Opening Day on the secondary market), or will the regular Monday ticket holders get to go?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I have tickets for Thursday, Saturday, and Monday. It was totally random, but I’m looking smart now. Lol.

Offline madj55

Entire series postponed according to Chelsea Janes.