Author Topic: When is it not good to be positive about something? COVID & the Nats  (Read 13594 times)

Online Natsinpwc

I don't think being on the flight qualifies as close contact.  It's more likely just the seat next to the positive and maybe the people within a row or so.  The air circulation is what it is, and so is the masking.  They also apparently took a bus, so maybe there more contacts than just on the flight. 

Now, bets are off if there's a second positive on another part of the plane.
I think technically you are right but if there are more positives I think it shows that you are at risk anywhere on a flight if someone has Covid.

Offline Five Banners

I think technically you are right but if there are more positives I think it shows that you are at risk anywhere on a flight if someone has Covid.

That’s the nature of the virus, so we got to keep common sense at the ready and realize we can still get it even if we have all the boxes ticked.  At least most employers won’t look at people negatively now if they want to stay home to not spread it.

Online Natsinpwc

That’s the nature of the virus, so we got to keep common sense at the ready and realize we can still get it even if we have all the boxes ticked.  At least most employers won’t look at people negatively now if they want to stay home to not spread it.
Especially until vaccinated. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

especially given that the UK variant is becoming dominant now and is much more contagious.

Online Natsinpwc

I can picture Max stalking around his home the next couple of days.

Offline nfotiu

assuming contact tracing is completed at some point today, they could realistically play Saturday though it would likely be mostly Fredricksburg guys as I'm assuming just about everyone on the flight back from Florida is going to be quarantining for a whatever period MLB mandates (10 days?). So you could make up today's game with a double-header on either Saturday or Sunday.

I wonder if they would play a traditional DH to avoid having to move fans in and out of the park.

Does anyone know if we can call up players who aren't on the 40 man?

It's still 7 inning DHs this year, right?   That makes it a little more manageable.

Online Natsinpwc

It's still 7 inning DHs this year, right?   That makes it a little more manageable.
I believe so.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

That's a whole separate thread but I absolutely hate that rule. If I'm a fan paying to attend one game of a split DH, I'm not getting full value. This also immensely helps/rewards teams that have bullpen issues, particularly with closers.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
especially given that the UK variant is becoming dominant now and is much more contagious.
and is the dominant strain in FL. 

Offline nfotiu

That's a whole separate thread but I absolutely hate that rule. If I'm a fan paying to attend one game of a split DH, I'm not getting full value. This also immensely helps/rewards teams that have bullpen issues, particularly with closers.
Fans weren't a concern last year.  I assume they'd have to make them all traditional DHs now for ticket and logistic reasons?

I agree with your integrity of the game concerns, but I think a traditional 7 inning DH on a 70-80 degree day would be a pretty nice day at the park.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I would think they will start vaccinating teams soon. People complain about privilege but they entertain us so why not.
Considering the amount of economic activity generate by a single game at Nationals Park, I'd be a bit irritated but understanding if they vaccinated the team early.

Offline nfotiu

Considering the amount of economic activity generate by a single game at Nationals Park, I'd be a bit irritated but understanding if they vaccinated the team early.
I also think there is a community benefit to vaccinating 40-50 people who are bringing germs to and from 20 other cities and through bunch of airports.  40-50 vaccinations are not moving the needle on when vulnerable people get theirs.

Online Natsinpwc

I also think there is a community benefit to vaccinating 40-50 people who are bringing germs to and from 20 other cities and through bunch of airports.  40-50 vaccinations are not moving the needle on when vulnerable people get theirs.
They vaccinated Congress. This is more essential.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Also, this isn't the worst thing in the world. Wind chills in the 30s is not ideal baseball weather.

They're predicting on weather.com that the thermometer temperature at 22.00 (when prime time matches normally let out) will be 38...add a 17-per wind and we're looking at even lower chill factors.

Offline hotshot

A number of teams' players have been getting vaccinated already. Astros and Cards come to mind. Players offered rthe vaccines before their openers. Is our Med Staff/Front Office asleep at the switch?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Good and bad.  If they miss a week or week and a half of games there will be lots of makeups later which strains the pitching.

In 1980 our Montreal ancestors led the NL East for most of the season, but in the earlier parts of the season there were quite a few rain-outs, which brought on a rash of doubleheaders late in the season, which decimated the pitching staff and put paid to that season's pennant hopes. (Of course it didn't help matters that the Phillies won just about all their games in September.)

Online Natsinpwc

A number of teams' players have been getting vaccinated already. Astros and Cards come to mind. Players offered rthe vaccines before their openers. Is our Med Staff/Front Office asleep at the switch?
The Cards just got vaccinated. Not clear if one or two doses but will be at least a couple weeks before they have immunity. The Nats player tested positive Monday which means he was exposed probably a couple weeks ago.

Offline CowherPower

If they play Saturday, they are obligated to regard the game as the Opener, and today's tickets would be good for that game. They'd have to postpone the scheduled game, and perhaps play a doubleheader Sunday.

This is what I was wondering about.  I have tickets on Saturday so selfishly I was kind of hoping they would play that game as the Opening Day game, but that wouldn't be fair to all the people who had tickets to tonight's game.  So I assume it is the Saturday ticket-holders who will be rescheduled.

I just heard from my Nats ticket rep and she said an email should be coming out shortly, but it sounded like no firm plan has been decided yet.

Online Natsinpwc

They're predicting on weather.com that the thermometer temperature at 22.00 (when prime time matches normally let out) will be 38...add a 17-per wind and we're looking at even lower chill factors.
They’re playing in the snow in Detroit.

Offline Copecwby20

I can picture Max stalking around his home the next couple of days.

I had just gotten out of the shower, I donned my freshly pressed  Juan Soto “Stars and Stripes” jersey with matching hat. Anticipation dancing in my eyes, looking forward to the excitement that awaited me.

It was  Alison, and in a tone usually reserved for informing someone that their mother had died, let me know that Opening Day at Nationals Park was postponed.

My disappointment was palpable, even over the phone.

“Ok babe, I’m gonna let you process this” she said as she hung up and left me to simmer in my sorrow.

Offline NatNasty

I was just about to pay my butcher a visit when I heard the news  :(

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
https://twitter.com/dougherty_jesse/status/1377739853203378179?s=21

Mike Rizzo says the Nationals have two additional positive tests today. Both are players and were already in quarantine due to contact tracing. Also a "likely" positive for a player that needs additional testing and results. That person is in quarantine.

Online Natsinpwc

Opening day is going to be a while.
It’s early.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
I just don't want a big chunk of the team to get it. I'm concerned when we look at the history of athletes after COVID, Russell Westbrook and Jayson Tatum to name a few.