Author Topic: When is it not good to be positive about something? COVID & the Nats  (Read 13662 times)

Offline Mighty Casey

M Rizz0: 'we are unable to name the affected players'..which translates into 'we are unwilling to name the affected players'...less the bookmakers lose $$..what BS...why is MLB classified?

Online Natsinpwc

M Rizz0: 'we are unable to name the affected players'..which translates into 'we are unwilling to name the affected players'...less the bookmakers lose $$..what BS...why is MLB classified?
I’m unclear what the bookmakers have to do with it. They are not playing today. They cannot name the players based on their agreement with the union. Same as other sports.

Offline 1995hoo

ESPN reports Manfred said game is to be played tomorrow. We'll see.

Online Natsinpwc

ESPN reports Manfred said game is to be played tomorrow. We'll see.
Probably need to we verify the second positive.  But no way it’s definite they will play tomorrow. Manfred just being Manfred.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
I am shocked anyone caught the virus in Florida. We conquered it here.

You're way behind Nashville, though...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Game cancelled.

Offline Duke of Earl

Who knows if the game is really cancelled:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
They announced it’s not getting made up Friday either.

Online Natsinpwc

Being reported on ESPN that it’s cancelled. I don’t think they would joke about it.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Being reported on ESPN that it’s cancelled. I don’t think they would joke about it.

Canceled or postponed? There's a big difference. No reason to cancel a game on opening day - just postpone it and make it up sometime over the next six months.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Also, this isn't the worst thing in the world. Wind chills in the 30s is not ideal baseball weather.

Offline nfotiu

Also, this isn't the worst thing in the world. Wind chills in the 30s is not ideal baseball weather.
Also gives time for Soto and Castro to heal.   If they weren't fully ready, and we had 5 other guys out, I don't see the season starting out very well for us.

Online Natsinpwc

Also gives time for Soto and Castro to heal.   If they weren't fully ready, and we had 5 other guys out, I don't see the season starting out very well for us.
Good and bad.  If they miss a week or week and a half of games there will be lots of makeups later which strains the pitching. 

Online Natsinpwc

Canceled or postponed? There's a big difference. No reason to cancel a game on opening day - just postpone it and make it up sometime over the next six months.
Cancelled for today and tomorrow.  Postponed until who knows when.  I think the whole series and even the next one are in jeopardy.  Bad timing that the player tested positive right after the flight.  A couple days earlier and they could have minimized things.

Online Natsinpwc

Thank goodness I can watch the Phillies today.

:couch:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
For future reference, postponed means “not played on schedule, will be played on a later date.”  Cancelled means “not played on schedule, will not be played ever.”

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
assuming contact tracing is completed at some point today, they could realistically play Saturday though it would likely be mostly Fredricksburg guys as I'm assuming just about everyone on the flight back from Florida is going to be quarantining for a whatever period MLB mandates (10 days?). So you could make up today's game with a double-header on either Saturday or Sunday.

I wonder if they would play a traditional DH to avoid having to move fans in and out of the park.

Does anyone know if we can call up players who aren't on the 40 man?

Online Natsinpwc

assuming contact tracing is completed at some point today, they could realistically play Saturday though it would likely be mostly Fredricksburg guys as I'm assuming just about everyone on the flight back from Florida is going to be quarantining for a whatever period MLB mandates (10 days?). So you could make up today's game with a double-header on either Saturday or Sunday.

I wonder if they would play a traditional DH to avoid having to move fans in and out of the park.

I would doubt a DH now with two home series remaining against the Mets after this weekend.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Once we're two weeks past "anyone who is 18+ who lives or works in DC may get a vaccine", I will absolutely lose my mind if we read something about COVID issues on the team. Get the damn vaccine when you can or you're letting your team and, to be more honest, your job down.

Until that happens, this is what it is. Hopefully this is one of our last few baseball-related COVID stories.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

For COVID issues, yes.

Offline Duke of Earl

If they play Saturday, they are obligated to regard the game as the Opener, and today's tickets would be good for that game. They'd have to postpone the scheduled game, and perhaps play a doubleheader Sunday.

Online Natsinpwc

Once we're two weeks past "anyone who is 18+ who lives or works in DC may get a vaccine", I will absolutely lose my mind if we read something about COVID issues on the team. Get the damn vaccine when you can or you're letting your team and, to be more honest, your job down.

Until that happens, this is what it is. Hopefully this is one of our last few baseball-related COVID stories.
I would think they will start vaccinating teams soon. People complain about privilege but they entertain us so why not.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
If they play Saturday, they are obligated to regard the game as the Opener, and today's tickets would be good for that game. They'd have to postpone the scheduled game, and perhaps play a doubleheader Sunday.

they have a mutual off-day on April 26 after their series at Citi, it's conceivable they could head to Nats park for a makeup that day.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I don't think being on the flight qualifies as close contact.  It's more likely just the seat next to the positive and maybe the people within a row or so.  The air circulation is what it is, and so is the masking.  They also apparently took a bus, so maybe there more contacts than just on the flight. 

Now, bets are off if there's a second positive on another part of the plane.