Author Topic: When is it not good to be positive about something? COVID & the Nats  (Read 13624 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
There are tweets doubting whether they'll play tonight and Davey's presser was pushed back.

Ken Rosenthal  @Ken_Rosenthal
Nationals-Phillies game tonight in jeopardy, sources tell @TheAthletic. Nationals dealing with COVID outbreak. Trea Turner tested positive yesterday.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Guess I have lost track of the rules. The Phillies have had a bunch of players out on Covid protocols over the past couple weeks and played all their games.  Albeit short handed.
If we have a Yankees situation where a bunch of vaccinated players are suddenly positive, then I will immediately wonder how they verify vaccinations.

Offline Natsinpwc

If we have a Yankees situation where a bunch of vaccinated players are suddenly positive, then I will immediately wonder how they verify vaccinations.
I doubt the J&J vaccine is more than 65 percent effective against the delta variant.  You will see more and more of this in coming weeks.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Don't the Nationals have 85% vaccination?

This is all so ridiculous.
I'm guessing that Trea was picked up by testing a non-vaxxed guy, and contact tracing had the whole rest of the team tested.  That probably yielded asymptomatic positives.  There's a concern that vaxxed folks can become spreaders even if they themselves are fine.  Moreso the adenovirus shots like J&J (which the Nats I think got in St L) than the mRNA shots. The vaxxes prevent moderate to severe illness, but are much less effective against infection.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I doubt the J&J vaccine is more than 65 percent effective against the delta variant.  You will see more and more of this in coming weeks.
With a significantly higher effectiveness against death or serious illness.

I'd launch into a spiel about "acceptable risk" but it'll end up in the politics forum and I intentionally have not requested access to that board.

Offline nfotiu

I don't really care so much since we've pretty much given up on the year.   But you'd have to think the team and fans would be incredibly frustrated with Trea if we were still on a hot streak.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
we probably have some links in uncensored because this is a pretty well-covered topic. 

Offline nfotiu

With a significantly higher effectiveness against death or serious illness.

I'd launch into a spiel about "acceptable risk" but it'll end up in the politics forum and I intentionally have not requested access to that board.
One thing though, it seems probable that the J&J vaccine is pretty good at stopping death and serious covid illness, but not really great at making sure you are not testing positive if you are in a business who gets tested regularly.   It also seems to be the preferred vaccine for baseball, so makes for a messy situation.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Phillies finished BP but Nats haven't taken the field at all apparently.

Online Five Banners

Phillies finished BP but Nats haven't taken the field at all apparently.

Just pull a group from Wilmington under Manfred rules

Offline Natsinpwc

One thing though, it seems probable that the J&J vaccine is pretty good at stopping death and serious covid illness, but not really great at making sure you are not testing positive if you are in a business who gets tested regularly.   It also seems to be the preferred vaccine for baseball, so makes for a messy situation.
Yes. Believe you are correct. 

Offline Natsinpwc

I don't really care so much since we've pretty much given up on the year.   But you'd have to think the team and fans would be incredibly frustrated with Trea if we were still on a hot streak.
Basically what the Phillies went through with Bohm and Nola and some others after being on a 10-4 streak.  Of course the Phillies seem to have the most unvaccinated players.  Not sure you can blame Trea if he is vaccinated.

Offline imref

Phillies reporter says they are taking down the BP equipment even though the Nats haven't taken BP yet, not looking like they will play tonight.  I guess if Philly fans get screwed with day-night 7 inning DHs tomorrow, then that's not all bad. :)

Tomorrow's game is scheduled for 1:05 due to the trip to Chicago afterwards though.

Offline UMDNats

95% chance this is Robles' fault.

Offline imref

If they can't play two tomorrow, August 9 is open.  We aren't scheduled to be in Philly again this year.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Zuckerman:
No official announcement yet, but the Nationals' game in Philadelphia has been postponed, per a source familiar with the decision. And so the wildest week in recent club history has taken another wild turn.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

:shock:

Dougherty:

Hearing that multiple Nationals players and staff have tested positive after Trea Turner did yesterday, according to people with knowledge of the situation. Don’t know exact number. Only saw about half the roster come out of the clubhouse before game was officially postponed.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
this development is much better than the Kermit position

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
One more chance for Max to start against the guy who manages the Fillies.

Offline imref

https://mobile.twitter.com/dougherty_jesse/status/1420503026197016576?s=19

12 cases

4 players, 8 staff, some have symptoms.

straight double-header starting tomorrow at 12:05, with four players down it looks like there will be a crowded flight from Rochester.

Offline UMDNats

The un-vaxed player has to be corbin

Offline Mattionals

The un-vaxed player has to be corbin

I thought it was determined that the unvaxxed was Trea.