Author Topic: When is it not good to be positive about something? COVID & the Nats  (Read 13301 times)

Offline nfotiu

This is going to be a rough start to the year.    Players aren't even allowed in the park for practice.  Pitchers aren't going to be able to get work in, or have any idea when to prepare for their next game.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Entire series postponed according to Chelsea Janes.
Confirmed by team. What a crap show.

I'm going to go watch the Pirates play to watch future multiple time MVP Ke'Bryan Hayes hit dingers left and right.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Entire series postponed according to Chelsea Janes.

Confirmation from Nats site: https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/mets-nationals-opening-series-postponed

The Nats bring Washington its first World Series title in 95 years, and they aren't even allowed a decent victory lap...and now they have at least three fixtures (the first three) to re-schedule. Did the Nationals offend the baseball gods with their 2019 achievement of one of the great in-season turn-rounds in the history of the sport?

Offline CowherPower

So if Monday is the first game, do you think people with Monday tickets can go or are they going to protect the people who originally purchased tickets on Thursday and let them go?  I'd love to know for sure before I drop a ton of cash on Stubhub to buy two tickets for Monday.

Offline eastie

So if Monday is the first game, do you think people with Monday tickets can go or are they going to protect the people who originally purchased tickets on Thursday and let them go?  I'd love to know for sure before I drop a ton of cash on Stubhub to buy two tickets for Monday.
For kicks I went back into to the April pod selection site and there were a handful (as in less than 5) Accessible pods still available for Monday's game.  However, I get an error when I try to add to cart.  BUT, as I was clicking around some of the pods dropped from the map, so somebody must be snatching those up. 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Bear in mind that there remains the possibility that the Nats' Covid situation may last into the Braves series and cause postponements there too. (Next home series after that is the Diamondbacks, 15th/16th/17th/18th April [Th/Fr/Sa/Su].)

Offline CowherPower

Just got tickets on Monday from Stubhub.  Looks like my Opening Day streak dating back to 2005 may stay intact (if they play on Monday)!   :woop:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Just got tickets on Monday from Stubhub.  Looks like my Opening Day streak dating back to 2005 may stay intact (if they play on Monday)!   :woop:

How does that work now? Can you only buy a full pod?

Online Natsinpwc

They are probably debating that right at this moment.

Offline imref

they won't have any plan until the latest round of test results come in.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

I don't see them doing anything out of the ordinary...people who bought tickets for Monday should get to use those if there is a game...otherwise, you create a domino effect...

Offline imref

Per Rizzo via WTOP: 4 players tested positive, 5 are quarantined, they are planning to play on Monday.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Per Rizzo via WTOP: 4 players tested positive, 5 are quarantined, they are planning to play on Monday.
is that a total of 9 affected players or 5?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

I thought it was 4 players and a staff member...  :shrug:

Offline nfotiu

4 players positive, and 5 players and a staff member in quarantine according to his press conference that's live on FB.

Offline imref

9 total was how I understood it.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
If they were playing the Mets on Monday, then I would say, sure, let opening day tickets count for that game and make the Monday game the one that gets postponed. But it's going to be hard to justify telling people who bought Nationals vs. Mets tickets that you now have Nationals Vs. Braves tickets. Opening day concerns or not.

Offline nfotiu

If no new positives, I guess we'll be playing the whole first series against the Braves without 9 players starting Monday.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I am pretty sure it's 4 total positive players with 5 total players in quarantine

EDIT: 9 total players in quarantine

Online Natsinpwc

4 players positive, and 5 players and a staff member in quarantine according to his press conference that's live on FB.
So far.  Just really bad luck having this happen just as they traveled north. 

Offline hotshot

For a whole year now, public figures have gotten Covid and publicly said so.  I can't think of even one who's been "blamed". What's the big deal?
Inference for pro athletes who get Covid is unfortunately that they were doing something in their private life that was of questionable judgment.

And, who was the first team to "cause" multiple games to be cancelled last season? Was it the Marlins? Regardless of the team, yes, those players were "blamed."

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Inference for pro athletes who get Covid is unfortunately that they were doing something in their private life that was of questionable judgment.

depends on the athlete, methinks. some might get a harder time than others

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
If they were playing the Mets on Monday, then I would say, sure, let opening day tickets count for that game and make the Monday game the one that gets postponed. But it's going to be hard to justify telling people who bought Nationals vs. Mets tickets that you now have Nationals Vs. Braves tickets. Opening day concerns or not.
Pretty sure the people who bought Nats/Mets tickets as OD tickets wont care if the opposing team is different. Pretty sure the people who originally bought Braves tickets would be more pissed

Offline nfotiu

Pretty sure the people who bought Nats/Mets tickets as OD tickets wont care if the opposing team is different. Pretty sure the people who originally bought Braves tickets would be more pissed
Just let 10k people in for one game at least.   It seems easy enough to social distance people with 3 of 4 seats empty.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Just let 10k people in for one game at least.   It seems easy enough to social distance people with 3 of 4 seats empty.
Nice idea.  IT'd take some audibles and accommodations from Muriel.