Author Topic: 3d base? I don't know - Nats Tribute to Abbott & Costello  (Read 1311 times)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Todd Frazier just opted out of his minor league deal with the Pirates and is a free agent.  :whistle:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Now that Carter Kieboom is sent down along with Luis Garcia, and probably Starlin Castro and Jordy Mercer, with maybe some Harrison and Perez thrown in, it's time to restart our 3d base thread.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I think the bigger question is when do you make a move? Do you do it early in the season, and hope for healthy pitching? Do you wait until the deadline and see if its worth it?

Offline imref

I think the bigger question is when do you make a move? Do you do it early in the season, and hope for healthy pitching? Do you wait until the deadline and see if its worth it?

The plan is Harrison at 2nd and Castro at 3rd to start the season with Perez and Mercer available off the bench. I think you give it a month and reevaluate after that. There's no need to make an early move IMHO. The way this team is built, 3rd base is gravy, the offense is built around Turner/Soto/Bell/Schwarber.

And of course you hope that Kieboom suddenly remembers how to hit.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I could even see Kieboom or Garcia getting a call up if either looks good at the alternative site and the first month in Rochester. 

Offline imref

I could even see Kieboom or Garcia getting a call up if either looks good at the alternative site and the first month in Rochester. 

probably not unless there's an injury or Castro/Harrison forget how to hit. At this point service time might be factored into the decision.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
probably not unless there's an injury or Castro/Harrison forget how to hit. At this point service time might be factored into the decision.
well, the schedule I was talking about was close to June, so I think that helps on service time.  If they are winning with Castro and Harrison, then the call ups wouldn't happen.  But the q was how long before they make a move, so I'd say the call ups would not be for 2 months.

Offline Slateman

well, the schedule I was talking about was close to June, so I think that helps on service time.  If they are winning with Castro and Harrison, then the call ups wouldn't happen.  But the q was how long before they make a move, so I'd say the call ups would not be for 2 months.
I was speaking moreso of a trade. Harrison has been regressing at the plate for a couple seasons, and he's 33. I dont really see him lasting the whole season.

Even with a best case scenario, Harrison's bat is a little light. Same for Castro. Nats still are going to need a better bat.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I was speaking moreso of a trade. Harrison has been regressing at the plate for a couple seasons, and he's 33. I dont really see him lasting the whole season.
he really should be a super utility like Howie.  I think that was the plan, with Castro starting.  Harrison starting and Mercer and Perez on the roster were the plan Bs that had to be called on when neither kid won a job.  I think a few of us wanted La Stella or even Gyorko as Plan A.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
he really should be a super utility like Howie.

This team is gonna miss havin' Howie...

Offline imref

This team is gonna miss havin' Howie...

in many ways.

Offline imref

Jake Lamb signs with the White Sox.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Jake Lamb signs with the White Sox.
This signing was greeted by silence, I suspect. 

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

I know one poster who was up on this.  ;)

Offline imref

with a side of fava beans

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
with a side of fava beans

ALDI has the best $4.99 Chianti on the market.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Kris Bryant rental? His agent -- Boras -- has not talked with the Cubs. Maybe a rental and a Boras one-year "pillow" contract?

Offline imref

Kris Bryant rental? His agent -- Boras -- has not talked with the Cubs. Maybe a rental and a Boras one-year "pillow" contract?

Spring Training 2021:

Bryant: 6-38, 1 2B, 0 3B, 1 HR, .158 / .359 / .582
Kieboom: 6-45, 2 2B, 1 3B, 0 HR, .133 / .204 / .426

Maybe we can get Bryant cheap?

Offline aspenbubba

he really should be a super utility like Howie.  I think that was the plan, with Castro starting.  Harrison starting and Mercer and Perez on the roster were the plan Bs that had to be called on when neither kid won a job.  I think a few of us wanted La Stella or even Gyorko as Plan A.
Also Suarez and a few dreamers ,like yours truly, were hoping Rizzo could pull his magic to acquire DJL.  It seems that he placed his bet on KieBUST and lost with no plan "B".

Offline UMDNats

Kieboom has been so obviously a bust for like two years.

Offline Slateman

Id like to get him earlier, but I feel like the Cubs are gonna hold hom until the deadline if he comes out of the gate hitting well.

Kyle Seager is an option. Gotta imagine he can be had for nothing at this point.

Eduardo Escobar could be another cheap option.

Trevor Story would be the big name. Nats could slide Turner over to second and slot Story in the two hole.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Kieboom has been so obviously a bust for like two years.

He'll come into his own as soon as we trade or release him...they always seem to...

Offline Count Walewski

The Orioles cut Yolmer Sanchez who won the AL Gold Glove in 2019 at shortstop and can play 3B/SS/2B. Of course his offense can be so bad that he failed to make the 2021 Orioles.

Offline aspenbubba

He'll come into his own as soon as we trade or release him...they always seem to...

I could only think of Giolito and Treinen. Who else comes to mind. I'm just referring to players we felt would never make it in a Nats uni. Both were traded but we couldn't fix them while they were here.