Author Topic: Weather for upcoming Nats matches (2021-2022 Edition)  (Read 5128 times)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Looking a bit more favourable for the afternoon match (most chances of rain are in the 20% range) but the evening still looks like a no-go.

And the Brewers' schedule this weekend is a bit tight - on Monday they open a two-game home series against the Tigers at 14.10.

Offline rileyn

Have we ever had an entire 3 game series against a team not coming back to town, wiped out before?  I'm guessing neither teams wants to play a DH on Sunday.

Offline Duke of Earl

Have we ever had an entire 3 game series against a team not coming back to town, wiped out before?
Have we ever had an entire 3 game series wiped out at all?  (Weather-related, not Covid.)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Looks like scattered light rain the rest of the evening.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Furious I would not be.  I think you lose something in terms of the competition if you make it too easy to get a CG from a starter or go starter to closer, and you also lose on the "times through the order" penalty for pitchers, but, short of that, it's legit competition.  Puts a premium on an early lead.  All 9 inning games are better, but, if I had tickets to both halves of a DH, I wouldn't kick too hard over the shorter games.

Offline rileyn

I'm praying for rain.  I can't stomach this offense.

Offline Duke of Earl

if I had tickets to both halves of a DH, I wouldn't kick too hard over the shorter games.

Yeah if I had a single game ticket and it got changed to two seven inning games I'm not going to feel cheated, but that's not what's happening. 

They should be making these doubleheaders single admission. Holders of tickets to the shortened game should be compensated by another (whole) game.  Sure, the team takes a hit economically.  Compensate by lowering player salaries. People say that player salaries are too high, and others respond "but that doesn't affect you".  Sure does.  Fans get cheated so players can get paid obscene salaries.

Anyway, I still don' t think a seven inning game is real baseball.

Offline imref

Yeah if I had a single game ticket and it got changed to two seven inning games I'm not going to feel cheated, but that's not what's happening. 

They should be making these doubleheaders single admission. Holders of tickets to the shortened game should be compensated by another (whole) game.  Sure, the team takes a hit economically.  Compensate by lowering player salaries. People say that player salaries are too high, and others respond "but that doesn't affect you".  Sure does.  Fans get cheated so players can get paid obscene salaries.

Anyway, I still don' t think a seven inning game is real baseball.

:clap:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Understand, but not all of us feel that way.  Going to both ends of a doubleheader is a unique experience.  I wouldn't want to be cheated by 7 inning games

All 9 inning games are better, but, if I had tickets to both halves of a DH, I wouldn't kick too hard over the shorter games.

Offline Five Banners

Understand, but not all of us feel that way.  Going to both ends of a doubleheader is a unique experience.  I wouldn't want to be cheated by 7 inning games

And for the years of debate over game fundamentals, including those regarding the DH, strategy, etc., it’s amazing how little press seems to be dedicated to the elimination of 27 up, 27 down for baseball games largely on the fiat of the purveyor of the piece of metal. That also goes for the artificially produced runner – – at first in the 12th, then in the 10th with hardly any back-and-forth, and of course now in the eighth for these ridiculously shortened affairs.

Offline Duke of Earl

Going to both ends of a doubleheader is a unique experience. 
Not for us older guys.  As a kid, for years, I would go to a doubleheader nearly every Sunday that the team was home.  In fact, I often wouldn't bother going to single games, because they ended too soon.

Ironic, isn't it? Nine innings wasn't enough baseball for me.  I can only imagine how unsatisfying a single 7 inning game would have been for me.

Offline Natsinpwc

Not for us older guys.  As a kid, for years, I would go to a doubleheader nearly every Sunday that the team was home.  In fact, I often wouldn't bother going to single games, because they ended too soon.

Ironic, isn't it? Nine innings wasn't enough baseball for me.  I can only imagine how unsatisfying a single 7 inning game would have been for me.
We used to go to a lot of night doubleheader’s as a teenager. Great value. Of course the games were much shorter back then.  I mean games were 2:15 to 2:30 back then so given the length of games today we were ripped off back then for a single game ticket.

Offline Natsinpwc

And for the years of debate over game fundamentals, including those regarding the DH, strategy, etc., it’s amazing how little press seems to be dedicated to the elimination of 27 up, 27 down for baseball games largely on the fiat of the purveyor of the piece of metal. That also goes for the artificially produced runner – – at first in the 12th, then in the 10th with hardly any back-and-forth, and of course now in the eighth for these ridiculously shortened affairs.
It’s already a dying sport. No indication that this matters for most younger fans.

Offline Natsinpwc

I'm praying for rain.  I can't stomach this offense.
For the whole summer?  Is that you Noah?

Offline imref

It’s already a dying sport. No indication that this matters for most younger fans.

Granted it's a small sample size, but my kids love going to live games, but don't watch baseball on TV unless the Nats are in the playoffs. However they will watch NBA and NHL games whenever they are on. The speed of hockey and the athleticism and highlight reel moments in the NBA are far more exciting to them. Speaking for myself, after going to a few NBA games this year I much prefer live basketball to baseball, for the same reasons, the games are just much more exciting to watch.

Among my friends' kids, none are baseball fans that I know of, most are NBA and NFL fans.

Offline nfotiu

Granted it's a small sample size, but my kids love going to live games, but don't watch baseball on TV unless the Nats are in the playoffs. However they will watch NBA and NHL games whenever they are on. The speed of hockey and the athleticism and highlight reel moments in the NBA are far more exciting to them. Speaking for myself, after going to a few NBA games this year I much prefer live basketball to baseball, for the same reasons, the games are just much more exciting to watch.

Among my friends' kids, none are baseball fans that I know of, most are NBA and NFL fans.
My 13 yo baseball playing son considers himself a pretty big Nats fan, and can name every player on the team.  I don't think he's ever watched more than an inning or two of a game on TV.   He does love going to games and is engaged from start to finish.    He doesn't watch any other sports on TV, but does watch about an hour or two of baseball highlights on YouTube every day.   I personally find NBA to be the most painfully boring sport on TV.   I don't know that this next generation will ever watch full games of anything on TV.     

Offline Five Banners

My 13 yo baseball playing son considers himself a pretty big Nats fan, and can name every player on the team.  I don't think he's ever watched more than an inning or two of a game on TV.   He does love going to games and is engaged from start to finish.    He doesn't watch any other sports on TV, but does watch about an hour or two of baseball highlights on YouTube every day.   I personally find NBA to be the most painfully boring sport on TV.   I don't know that this next generation will ever watch full games of anything on TV.     

Yep, when most of us were watching games in our youth, we didn’t have 1001 interactive things at our fingertips from which to choose.

I think one of the only things that would help MLB mitigate the slope of decline is to get the game pace back to where it was mid 20th century.  If they can lop off full innings and talk about relocating the distance of the pitcher’s mound, they can certainly eliminate the calls for time, the every-pitch step-outs and lookaways to reset their brains, and the glove and stance adjustments.

Offline Dave in Fairfax

Thursday, June 10 game postponed, double-header on Saturday

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Yay, I get to go to another b.s. 7 inning Saturday night game
Thursday, June 10 game postponed, double-header on Saturday

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
I wish I was up there to join you.  Only I would be sure to go to both games

Yay, I get to go to another b.s. 7 inning Saturday night game

• babble on
Well get on up here! You'll need to wear your #45 shirt 
I wish I was up there to join you.  Only I would be sure to go to both games

Offline machpost

I wonder when they'll make up tonight's game. It's looking highly unlikely that they'll play.

Offline Duke of Earl

Double header Sunday too?

• babble on
If I ever get to attend another 9 inning game I'll probably get up and leave after 7 purely out of habit. 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Not looking too promising for tonight on weather.com: currently predicting 48% chance of precip at first pitch and over 70% continuously from 20.00 to midnight.

Looking better for Saturday and Sunday thus far, with no higher than a 20% chance of precip from 09.00 Saturday morning through 12 noon Sunday.