Author Topic: Rotation Considerations - 2021  (Read 4924 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Rotation Considerations - 2021
« Reply #50: April 21, 2021, 05:30:39 PM »
Dont see any reason to rush him

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #51: April 21, 2021, 07:54:59 PM »
I didn't here a report on his sim game yesterday.  If he did go 80 pitches, then he's probably ready.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #52: May 13, 2021, 01:59:13 PM »
According to Zuckerman Stras is due for a sim game Sunday at Chase Field or a start in Buffalo with Rochester. To be put back on the 26 man someone has be released. I think Fedde goes to the 'pen as he has no options and I would guess that they will go with 4 OF's leaving Hernandez the odd man out as he has cooled off considerably in the last week. I'm sure that if the Nats were hitting with RISP it might have been a different story.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53: May 13, 2021, 03:11:30 PM »
According to Zuckerman Stras is due for a sim game Sunday at Chase Field or a start in Buffalo with Rochester. To be put back on the 26 man someone has be released. I think Fedde goes to the 'pen as he has no options and I would guess that they will go with 4 OF's leaving Hernandez the odd man out as he has cooled off considerably in the last week. I'm sure that if the Nats were hitting with RISP it might have been a different story.
so you are saying 9 man bullpen and a short bench?  Rainey has options, so if he's not right I could see him sent down.  Hard at this point seeing any other bullpen piece being moved out. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #54: May 13, 2021, 03:14:46 PM »
so you are saying 9 man bullpen and a short bench?  Rainey has options, so if he's not right I could see him sent down.  Hard at this point seeing any other bullpen piece being moved out. 

Hernandez has no spot on this team right now, he's the obvious send-down.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55: May 13, 2021, 03:19:57 PM »
Hernandez has no spot on this team right now, he's the obvious send-down.
well, if Stevenson is your lefty PH and Zim is your righty, Hernandez and Mercer are your depth pieces.  I suppose that with Harrison, you can put Mercer at 2d and move Harrison to an outfield corner if necessary. 

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #56: May 14, 2021, 04:53:47 AM »
Same story every frickin' year since 2012.  No Stras, no chance.

Online Slateman

« Reply #57: May 14, 2021, 06:20:00 AM »
well, if Stevenson is your lefty PH and Zim is your righty, Hernandez and Mercer are your depth pieces.  I suppose that with Harrison, you can put Mercer at 2d and move Harrison to an outfield corner if necessary. 
Stevenson should not be considered anything other than a pinch runner/outfield replacement at this point

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58: May 14, 2021, 10:36:11 AM »
Stevenson should not be considered anything other than a pinch runner/outfield replacement at this point
whatever. point is, you have a place for both Hernandez and Stevenson on this roster, one as primarily a lefty PH, and the other as the positional backup. Stevenson has been pretty effective as a PH over a lot of PAs since 2019, so I'm guessing he's actually the one that Davey will go to when he needs somebody to not make an out. Hernandez is more the "maybe he can run into one" guy. Stevenson has to stay because he's the only guy other than Robles who can play center.

Online Slateman

« Reply #59: May 14, 2021, 12:00:17 PM »
You dont have room if you go to a 9 person bullpen

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60: May 14, 2021, 12:07:56 PM »
You dont have room if you go to a 9 person bullpen
which is why I think I said Rainey should be the one sent down in reply 53

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #61: May 14, 2021, 12:15:07 PM »
You'll quickly not be able to use Fedde as a spot starter if he is moved to the bullpen.   We really need a #6 guy who can move up and down as needed and get regular AAA starts, instead of parking 2 starters in the bullpen. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62: May 14, 2021, 03:39:25 PM »
You'll quickly not be able to use Fedde as a spot starter if he is moved to the bullpen.   We really need a #6 guy who can move up and down as needed and get regular AAA starts, instead of parking 2 starters in the bullpen. 
I'm going to make a guess that he's really going to be nearly a rotation piece that is more regularly skipped.  Joe Ross will miss turns and maybe make 25 starts this year to manage the workload, and Fedde will be inserted so the starters don't have to do too many turns with just 4 days rest.  That'd seem to be the smart way to go given the age of the top 4 starters, the short 2020 season, and the Strasburg injury history.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #63: May 16, 2021, 03:32:21 AM »
It seems that the consensus here ,including me , is that when Stras returns Fedde would return to the ‘pen. It is no longer a lock as Ross is very marginal as a number 5. I believe that the pitcher with the best stuff and the ability to put the team in the best position to win will be a part of the rotation. Let the competition resume.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #64: May 16, 2021, 10:17:00 AM »
It seems that the consensus here ,including me , is that when Stras returns Fedde would return to the ‘pen. It is no longer a lock as Ross is very marginal as a number 5. I believe that the pitcher with the best stuff and the ability to put the team in the best position to win will be a part of the rotation. Let the competition resume.

All of that presumes Strasburg will return. Not exactly hearing a ton on the move that was supposed to be decided this weekend.

Offline imref

« Reply #65: May 16, 2021, 10:22:13 AM »
All of that presumes Strasburg will return. Not exactly hearing a ton on the move that was supposed to be decided this weekend.

He’s starting for Rochester today.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #66: May 16, 2021, 08:07:18 PM »
Fedde looks a lot more like a SP than Ross now doesn't he?   Maybe go with 6 for a while to really see who is the better 5?  I'm sure this was discussed in the GT, but I watch so many games on 1-2 hr delay

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67: May 16, 2021, 08:37:10 PM »
I'd be happy if he got 20 or so starts so none of the pitchers has to go on 4 days rest more than a couple times in a row.  I know Stras is a creature of habit and Scherzer is a bulldog, but a good manager and pitching coach protects these guys from harming themselves.

Offline imref

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #69: May 17, 2021, 09:47:00 AM »
I'd be happy if he got 20 or so starts so none of the pitchers has to go on 4 days rest more than a couple times in a row.  I know Stras is a creature of habit and Scherzer is a bulldog, but a good manager and pitching coach protects these guys from harming themselves.

I'd go 5 and have Ross piggyback him a couple turns to start.  Probably gives Ross 2 or 3 innings in those, leaving him maybe a shot to go 2 or 3 behind Lester.  I think you could line it up to have one land on Ross's day and the other on the normal throw day, at least for a couple turns.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #70: May 20, 2021, 03:55:26 PM »
Can we just release Joe Ross and end this relationship.  He is not a starter and he doesn't like coming out of the bullpen.  Let somebody else deal with him.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #71: May 25, 2021, 09:57:42 AM »
Is Fedde coming back?   It seems like a long time to make a guy sit out if he's vaccinated and asymptomatic.   If he can come back and be part of a 6 man rotation for a while, it sets up nicely with Max starting game 1 in the Braves series instead of missing that series.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #72: May 25, 2021, 10:22:18 AM »
Is Fedde coming back?   It seems like a long time to make a guy sit out if he's vaccinated and asymptomatic.   If he can come back and be part of a 6 man rotation for a while, it sets up nicely with Max starting game 1 in the Braves series instead of missing that series.
That's why Max has asked MLB to reassess the protocols for COVID.

Offline imref

« Reply #73: June 17, 2021, 05:32:42 PM »
Ross, Fedde, Corbin, Rodriguez, Lester and Espino just put together a stretch of seven games in six days with a combined 0.75 ERA

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #74: June 17, 2021, 06:55:48 PM »
Ross, Fedde, Corbin, Rodriguez, Lester and Espino just put together a stretch of seven games in six days with a combined 0.75 ERA

I guess Max gave them a good deal the rest of his inventory of sticky stuff! :bag: