Author Topic: MLB testing rule changes in the minors in 2021  (Read 310 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31046691/major-league-baseball-deploy-several-experimental-rules-minor-leagues-season
They seem pretty desperate to increase stolen bases.  I'm sure you'll hear Costas, Boswell, and Will rant about messing with the effective length of the basepath ("it's perfect 90'," even though it really isn't 90' when you account for the size of the base). 

I think the requirement to step off for a pick off will really explode steals of 2d. 

As for limiting the number of pick off attempts, that may really be fair.  What you'll see is a lot less of the soft toss to first just to check the runner and more best moves when pitchers do try.  I wonder how they will deal with catchers trying to pick runners at 1st?  If that's not limited, then I could see that being more common.

I really do not like the restrictions on infielder position.  I kind of love it when teams do weird shifts like 4 outfielders for big fly hitters.  I think the idea of eliminating the infield shift against lefties is pretty weak because it devalues spray hitters.  IF you are going to be a dead pull lefty against a shift, then you've made a tradeoff of power for BABIP; no reason to give you more of a bonus.  BTW- this is mostly to benefit lefties, who already have a platoon advantage against most pitchers.  Shift vs righties are more rare, and typically do not involve a guy playing short outfield "rover."