Author Topic: Deaths of famous people (2021)  (Read 11352 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Deaths of famous people (2021)
« Reply #200: March 31, 2021, 03:03:31 PM »
Around 20 years ago I used to listen to him on my lunchbreaks when he was on WJFK. This was during the golden age of the "Hot Talk" format, when they had Howard Stern on in the mornings and Don and Mike during the evening drive. He was completely batcrap crazy, and I rarely agreed with what he said, but he was endlessly entertaining.

I listened to him occasionally, and it seemed to me that he was generally very courteous to callers, even those with whom he disagreed.  You don't see that much anymore.

He was in prison throughout my high school years, so I never met him.  His daughter Sandy was in my high school class, and is also a Terp.  One of my brothers was pals with his son Tom back in the day.  I went over to the Liddy house once for a small party (probably my senior year of high school), some girl showed up wasted (I don't remember any drinking at their house) and she hurled big time at the bottom of their stairs, into an off-white shag carpet.   :glug: :spaz:  There was a story that once out of prison, some neighborhood kids had been up to some shenanigans at their house and he hid on the roof, and jumped off to the ground to catch them in the act.    :hysterical:   They story had a ring of authenticity to it.

At some point they moved from this house to one on the Potomac, a very tiny and rare neighborhood centered around Lark Lane* in Oxon Hill.  They probably call it Fort Washington now.  This was our local Lovers' Lane, where one could take a date to "watch the submarine races".   :crackup:  At some point after my use of the lane was completed the neighbors had enough and got the river side posted as "no parking".  Still, people tried.  I heard that some guy in a pickup was parked there, Gordon came out to confront the violators, and the guy ran into him hard with the truck, inflicting injuries.  Again, sounds like Liddy again.    :hysterical:

The whole family was very conservative politically (unlike me), but I don't have a bad word to say about my classmate, she was nothing but gracious and friendly to me or anyone else we shared as friends.  I think Gordon was a stern but decent father (except for his terrible error in judgement that resulted in an extensive prison term), and a warm grandparent.

*EDIT - after looking at a map, the actual river side drive is "Riverside Drive".  Lark is one way to get there, but it's what we all called the whole area.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #201: March 31, 2021, 03:49:57 PM »

You can call him crazy or you can admire his convictions...or maybe both.  But it takes someone special to tell the President of the United States...a man who can certainly pull it off...to let him know what street corner to stand on so he can get taken out without causing a fuss.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #202: April 05, 2021, 03:49:59 PM »
He wasn’t famous and he died a long time ago. But made me sad to read about this again.

https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports/penn/phil-hankinson-penn-basketball-ncaa-tournament-20210403.html

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #203: April 06, 2021, 09:55:41 AM »
Florida Congressman Alcee Hastings at 84. He had pancreatic cancer. He was a former federal judge who had been impeached, convicted, and removed from office, and then three years later he got himself elected to Congress.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #204: April 06, 2021, 10:08:33 AM »
Florida Congressman Alcee Hastings at 84. He had pancreatic cancer. He was a former federal judge who had been impeached, convicted, and removed from office, and then three years later he got himself elected to Congress.
What a great country!

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #205: April 07, 2021, 06:32:51 PM »
Not really "famous" per se, but a familiar face to people from the area: Joe Krebs (1943-2021), the morning news anchor at Channel 4 from 1980-2012.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Krebs

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #206: April 07, 2021, 07:05:22 PM »
Not really "famous" per se, but a familiar face to people from the area: Joe Krebs (1943-2021), the morning news anchor at Channel 4 from 1980-2012.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Krebs

Sad to see that. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #207: April 07, 2021, 07:11:13 PM »
Sad to see that.
Yep.  Definitely a familiar face. 

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #208: April 07, 2021, 09:04:34 PM »
Yep.  Definitely a familiar face.

I had no idea he'd been off the air since 2012 and was surprised to see that he was 78.  Tough to see folks like this pass.  Maybe it's just my own viewing habits, but viewing local news and having familiarity with the personalities was once a big part of what bound this area together and I don't think that's the case so much anymore. 

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #209: April 09, 2021, 07:38:29 AM »
The Duke of Edinburgh (Prince Philip, the Queen's husband) at age 99.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #210: April 09, 2021, 08:23:38 AM »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4074042/Prince-Philip-dies.html - also several other articles on him in this edition.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #211: April 09, 2021, 10:05:20 AM »
I had not realized that he was greek royalty.  Always seemed so british with his naval background

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #212: April 09, 2021, 10:44:05 AM »
I had not realized that he was greek royalty.  Always seemed so british with his naval background
You need to watch The Crown to get caught up on royalty :)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #213: April 09, 2021, 11:54:30 AM »
Watching the Crown certainly did not paint him in a sympathetic light.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #214: April 09, 2021, 12:20:19 PM »
DMX has died according to his family after a lot of disputed reports. DMX and Prince Phillip on the same day, didn't see that one coming.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #215: April 09, 2021, 12:55:15 PM »
Watching the Crown certainly did not paint him in a sympathetic light.
I mean, at times not, at times it did. He seemed to be on Di's side. People are complicated, I'm sure there was both good and bad with him, as with most.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #216: April 09, 2021, 01:07:44 PM »
I mean, at times not, at times it did. He seemed to be on Di's side. People are complicated, I'm sure there was both good and bad with him, as with most.
I think it was Joan Rivers who talked about how with her celebrity she felt like royalty.  All the time, people would come up to her and say, "Lady, Die!"

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #217: April 09, 2021, 03:43:34 PM »
Technically, he was mostly German, like many European royals. The most recent Greek royal house was of Danish origin, and the Danish royal family was from the German House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg. Prince Philip's mother was also German, from the House of Battenberg. Philip's paternal grandmother was a Russian princess, but she herself was half-Romanov (Russian imperial house) and half Saxe-Altenburg (German ducal house).

Due to anti-German sentiment in World War I, English members of the House of Battenberg had changed their name to Mountbatten ("Berg" is German for mountain, while "Burg" means a fortress or fortified town; English speakers tend to pronounce these the same way and constantly misspell German family and place names as a result). 

Edited to add: the prior Greek royal house was also German, from the House of Wittelsbach, the ruling family of Bavaria. This is why the Greek flag shares the colors of the Bavarian flag, light blue and white. The current head of the House of Wittelsbach, besides his claim to the Bavarian throne, is also the Jacobite pretender to the English and Scottish thrones through the House of Stuart.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #218: April 09, 2021, 04:40:00 PM »
The English royals went from "Saxe-Coburg" to "Windsor" for the same reason IIRC.   
Technically, he was mostly German, like many European royals. The most recent Greek royal house was of Danish origin, and the Danish royal family was from the German House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg. Prince Philip's mother was also German, from the House of Battenberg. Philip's paternal grandmother was a Russian princess, but she herself was half-Romanov (Russian imperial house) and half Saxe-Altenburg (German ducal house).

Due to anti-German sentiment in World War I, English members of the House of Battenberg had changed their name to Mountbatten ("Berg" is German for mountain, while "Burg" means a fortress or fortified town; English speakers tend to pronounce these the same way and constantly misspell German family and place names as a result). 

Edited to add: the prior Greek royal house was also German, from the House of Wittelsbach, the ruling family of Bavaria. This is why the Greek flag shares the colors of the Bavarian flag, light blue and white. The current head of the House of Wittelsbach, besides his claim to the Bavarian throne, is also the Jacobite pretender to the English and Scottish thrones through the House of Stuart.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #219: April 09, 2021, 07:23:34 PM »
I think it was Joan Rivers who talked about how with her celebrity she felt like royalty.  All the time, people would come up to her and say, "Lady, Die!"
:lol: she was the best “can we talk?” :lol:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Offline dracnal

« Reply #223: April 14, 2021, 10:12:33 AM »
I'm crying, but it is on the inside.

I cried five tears. And each tear I cried hit one other person, who promptly cried five tears and gave two of them back to me.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #224: April 14, 2021, 02:24:21 PM »
I cried five tears. And each tear I cried hit one other person, who promptly cried five tears and gave two of them back to me.
so your saying as long as their remaining three tears each hit 3 people, and those people each gave two tears back to the five you hit, the five your hit end up with 6 tears, so they are ahead.  And if the people hit by the tears of each of the original 5 did the same with their remaining 3 tears, they'd be ahead too.