Author Topic: The Medical Staff Still Stinks - 2021 Injuries  (Read 13873 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Ok, how do you mistake hand swelling with thoracic outlet? Is it something with blood not returning from the hand after exertion? That seems more vein than artery

Offline Slateman

Ok, how do you mistake hand swelling with thoracic outlet? Is it something with blood not returning from the hand after exertion? That seems more vein than artery

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline wj73

There are three kinds of TOS - neurogenic (nerve is squeezed as it passes through the thoracic outlet in the shoulder), venous (vein is squeezed), and arterial (artery is squeezed). The most common by far is neurogenic. The other two types are much more rare and are often misdiagnosed.

Unfortunately, I know all this because several years ago, Mr wj73 woke up one morning with a swollen arm that was cold and blue. He was diagnosed as having a blood clot in the vein, and was put on warfarin, which is not pleasant. But, the issue never really resolved and the arm continued to be swollen. After several weeks of ineffective care, he got a second opinion at Hopkins and was properly dx’d with venous TOS. He had surgery at Hopkins to remove the top rib on that side to give more space in the thoracic outlet, and has been fine since. From what I’ve been able to glean, Harris had venous TOS.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

There are three kinds of TOS - neurogenic (nerve is squeezed as it passes through the thoracic outlet in the shoulder), venous (vein is squeezed), and arterial (artery is squeezed). The most common by far is neurogenic. The other two types are much more rare and are often misdiagnosed.

Unfortunately, I know all this because several years ago, Mr wj73 woke up one morning with a swollen arm that was cold and blue. He was diagnosed as having a blood clot in the vein, and was put on warfarin, which is not pleasant. But, the issue never really resolved and the arm continued to be swollen. After several weeks of ineffective care, he got a second opinion at Hopkins and was properly dx’d with venous TOS. He had surgery at Hopkins to remove the top rib on that side to give more space in the thoracic outlet, and has been fine since. From what I’ve been able to glean, Harris had venous TOS.
so your saying my diagnosis that it was a vein was at least as good as Vinny Boombatz?  I appreciate the respect.

(thanks for clearing that up.  Did sound like something with a vein, and in my mind I read outlet as only meaning stuff coming out of the core into the arm)

Offline wj73

You absolutely pegged it as involving the vein. Wish the Nats staff had made the same connection.

Had to google the Dr Boombatz reference. Guess I missed that part of popular culture.  :lol:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Had to google the Dr Boombatz reference. Guess I missed that part of popular culture.  :lol:

I don't get no respect, I tell ya...

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Placeholder for Strasburg.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Quote from: RobDibblesGhost link=topic=39055.msg2209Dr.584#msg2209584 date=1622591033
Dr. Nick said the arm was still there so he's fine

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Crap we can't have nice things.

Offline nfotiu

Soto's hurt?  huh?

Offline NatsAllThe Way

My Soto posts were meant for the GDT... not paying attention.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Dr. Nick said the arm was still there so he's fine

Anatomy, by Dr. Nick:

"The knee bone's connected to the...something
The something's connected to the...red thing
The red thing's connected to my...wristwatch...uh-oh."

Online imref

Last time he rubbed his forearm he needed TJ :(

Offline RobDibblesGhost

My Soto posts were meant for the GDT... not paying attention.

I’ve done the same thing and forgotten which topic I’m currently in :lmao:

Offline Air Desmond

Any thought to converting Stras to a reliever?

Online imref

Davey says Stras had tightness in his trap. MRI tomorrow.

Offline GataNats

Strasburg is done for his career.    Bring up Capelli

Offline Slateman

Strasburg is done for his career.    Bring up Capelli
Going to assume you mean Cavalli.

How about lets not. How about we not fry the arm of a guy who hasnt thrown over 60 innings, ever.

Online Natsinpwc

Going to assume you mean Cavalli.

How about lets not. How about we not fry the arm of a guy who hasnt thrown over 60 innings, ever.
Agree. If the year is lost no reason to risk one of our few assets.

Offline rileyn

Any thought to converting Stras to a reliever?
Agree.  Move him into the closer role a la John Smoltz.  Go hard for one inning.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
It's trapezius tightness. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.